cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photo Professional (DPP) 4.5.X is slow (performance)

raviballa
Contributor

I would love to continue to use DPP for its color output. But, where I am struggling with is its slowness to process RAW files. Loading of the RAW files is slow and I cannot tell when my minor corrections are applied to the image (there is no indication of DPP processing my adjustments). The 'Quick Check' of images is good though, without any lag.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SenJerzy
Contributor
Hi,
Finally we've got the solution - the new version of DPP 4.9 which resolvs the discussed problem.
It is fully discribed on Canon website. And... it works. The speed is improved.
Regards

View solution in original post

88 REPLIES 88

@BlueNose wrote:

I think i've tracked down all the things that slow dpp to a crawl in 4.8.x.   Windows 10 x64

1) DPP tries to open and search any zip files on the drive and sometimes starts searching non default drives.

fix remove .zip files from your drive that dpp has its default folder on.  Especially remove any zip files in the root of the drive.

2) Check task manager for any unclosed copies of DPP in the background processes.  Extra background processes slow it down and occasionly crash it if you don't clear them out.

fix save your work and then kill the extra processes using task manager.

3) Under tools option preferences General Settings turn off use of temporary files.  I have 12GB of ram and DPP does not need to use temporary files.  This sped up DPP back to a usable level.  

fix set maximum available on disk to 0 , click ok, exit dpp and then launch DPP again.

This is what worked for me after a year of looking for solutions.

1). Many applications use default Windows settings, and this behavior is the default for Windows Media Player.  Disable it.

2). You could be looking at Dialog Boxes writhing for your input, but are covered other windows, not multiple copies of DPP.  Every window run inside of its’ own process.  The Task Manager should display a sub-process differently from a separate process.

3). I would advise that you reset this because it affects all applications, not just DPP.  Your results could be hindered by a slow hard drive.  My workstations have two hard drives: a solid state drive, and a conventional drive.  The SSD stores the OS and applications, and serves as the C drive, which stores temp files.  The conventional drive is used for data storage.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@BlueNose wrote:

I think i've tracked down all the things that slow dpp to a crawl in 4.8.x.   Windows 10 x64

1) DPP tries to open and search any zip files on the drive and sometimes starts searching non default drives.

fix remove .zip files from your drive that dpp has its default folder on.  Especially remove any zip files in the root of the drive.

2) Check task manager for any unclosed copies of DPP in the background processes.  Extra background processes slow it down and occasionly crash it if you don't clear them out.

fix save your work and then kill the extra processes using task manager.

3) Under tools option preferences General Settings turn off use of temporary files.  I have 12GB of ram and DPP does not need to use temporary files.  This sped up DPP back to a usable level.  

fix set maximum available on disk to 0 , click ok, exit dpp and then launch DPP again.

This is what worked for me after a year of looking for solutions.

1). Many applications use default Windows settings, and this behavior is the default for Windows Media Player.  Disable it. ...

Can you tell me where that setting is? I've seen it referred to many times in this forum, but I've never been able to find it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Can you tell me where that setting is? I've seen it referred to many times in this forum, but I've never been able to find it."

When WMP starts up, it will automatically scan specified folders for new media types.  

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/stop-automatic-import-of-new-au...

This solution applies to all media types.  Also, you want to change the startup folder in DPP Preferences to one that does not contain media files.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

SenJerzy
Contributor
Canon Connect is used to review the pictures in the smartphone. Regarding other subjects please check my next comment.

SenJerzy
Contributor
Uninstalling and installing or installing on new computer does not solve the problem.

SenJerzy
Contributor
I agree with you comments 100 %.
Thanks.

SenJerzy
Contributor
Thanks a lot for for your comment. Check it when back home. Now on holidays in Croatia (making a lot of pictures to process :)).
Regards

SenJerzy
Contributor
By the way. Don't you think that Canon should pay us a fee for our holiday time lost to resolve the problems in DPP? 🙂

SenJerzy
Contributor
Hi,
Finally we've got the solution - the new version of DPP 4.9 which resolvs the discussed problem.
It is fully discribed on Canon website. And... it works. The speed is improved.
Regards

SenJerzy
Contributor
Digital Photo Professional 4.9.20 for Windows
File version: 4.9.20
Release date: 17 October 2018
Improvements:
- Improved the display speed by using a graphics processor (GPU) to process images for preview in 64-bit OS (32-bit OS not supported). For converting and saving, and printing, the conventional CPU processing is used.
To use this function, a GPU that has 1.0GB or more of built-in video memory and that supports CUDA (Compute Capability 2.0 or later) made by NVIDIA is required.
In addition, the latest driver made by NVIDIA must be installed.
Regards
Announcements