cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photo Professional (DPP) 4.5.X is slow (performance)

raviballa
Contributor

I would love to continue to use DPP for its color output. But, where I am struggling with is its slowness to process RAW files. Loading of the RAW files is slow and I cannot tell when my minor corrections are applied to the image (there is no indication of DPP processing my adjustments). The 'Quick Check' of images is good though, without any lag.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SenJerzy
Contributor
Hi,
Finally we've got the solution - the new version of DPP 4.9 which resolvs the discussed problem.
It is fully discribed on Canon website. And... it works. The speed is improved.
Regards

View solution in original post

88 REPLIES 88

The only time I notice a speed issue is when applying/changing noise reduction and I wonder if a newer/better video card will help?

Choosing edit brings the image and tools up instantly and except for noise reduction all editing changes appear as soon as the new values are chosen.  Noise reduction takes up to 8 seconds to finish if both luminance and chrominance settings are adjusted. Batch processing RAW to high quality full size JPG runs 6 to 9 seconds per image.

I have DPP set to use the graphics processor for image processing but I have a feeling the video card I am using is the weak link in the system, it is a Nvidia GTX 570 and I am thinking about upgrading it to something newer and better to see if this gets rid of the noise reduction lagging.

Looking at the system monitor during the time NR is being applied CPU utilization very briefly spikes to 40-44% for less than one second of the noise reduction processing time before dropping to the ~20% level or less for the remainder and back to 0% once the NR process is complete.  The GPU appears to be doing nothing staying at 0 to 1% during NR processing.  Memory utilization stays around 6%.

I am using RAW files from a 1DX Mark ii and the computer is a HP Z820 with two Xeon 8 core 3.3 ghz. CPUs, the GTX 570 video card, and 128 GB of memory.

Any comments from those using a better video card whether its GPU is being utilized during NR application?  However I will definitely wait until the current run on cards (due to the bitcoin mining craze) is over and prices return back to normal.

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I am having terrible issues where it constantly is crashing. If you apply a saved filter, good luck it will crash. If you go through your photos and come back to it chances are it's locked up. I have a 32 GB system running a 1070 TI 8 GB video card so it's not the hardware, its definitely the software. I thought maybe it was a HDD issue so I put all my images on my SSD... still not the case. These are raw images from a Canon 5D MKIV. Has anyone had any response from Canon? I have ran in admin mode and compability mode for Windows 8, since I'm running Windows 10. I don't have carbonite and also don't have windows media player enabled. My patience is wearing very thin with this software.  I am using 4.7.2.1.0

I have not had any failures or glitches with 4.7.21.  I have been using it extensively in the past week to edit roughly 2,500 images from recent soccer games and it has not had any failures.  I have probably spent around 20-30 hours with it because many of these images require a lot of work since they were shot under very bad lighting. 

My only complaint with the software is I wish there was a little less delay when applying NR changes and I hope that upgrading to a faster video card will improve that performance.

I am using RAW files from a 1DX M2 and DPP is running on a dual processor HP Z820 with Win 10 professional edition.

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@LuskPhoto wrote:

I am having terrible issues where it constantly is crashing. If you apply a saved filter, good luck it will crash. If you go through your photos and come back to it chances are it's locked up. I have a 32 GB system running a 1070 TI 8 GB video card so it's not the hardware, its definitely the software. I thought maybe it was a HDD issue so I put all my images on my SSD... still not the case. These are raw images from a Canon 5D MKIV. Has anyone had any response from Canon? I have ran in admin mode and compability mode for Windows 8, since I'm running Windows 10. I don't have carbonite and also don't have windows media player enabled. My patience is wearing very thin with this software.  I am using 4.7.2.1.0

Did you configure DPP to use the graphics card, and vice versa?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

LuskPhoto
Apprentice
Yes, tried it both ways.

@LuskPhoto wrote:
Yes, tried it both ways.

If you are having stability problems with one piece of software, I would

a) perform a repair install, restart and retest

and/or

b) completely unuinstall the software, restart and install 4.7.2.1 straightaway

I don't think DPP has a repair function, so if you have been upgrading versions on top of one another, try uinistalling, restarting and installing the latest version.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

@LuskPhoto wrote:
Yes, tried it both ways.

If you are having stability problems with one piece of software, I would

a) perform a repair install, restart and retest

and/or

b) completely unuinstall the software, restart and install 4.7.2.1 straightaway

I don't think DPP has a repair function, so if you have been upgrading versions on top of one another, try uinistalling, restarting and installing the latest version.

I think that's a distinction without a difference. Each new release of DPP appears to be a complete re-installation.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

SenJerzy
Contributor

I'm using latest version: 4.8.30 which is extremily slow. On two of my computers.

One pretty strong PC with Invidia Geforce GTX1060 (Cannon suggestion - but did not help) and Thinkpad Yoga X3 (also pretty strong). Because it is so slow I can not use DPP for RAW image processing.

3 month ago I got the new 5DmkIV but I see, I was wrong. I should sell all my Canon lences and go for Sony. Also Canonconnect app is a problem. Now I am stackted with a problem and consider do by Adobe software wchich is additiona investmnet.

Was trying to contact Canon support but got stupid aswers. No support, not rational information. Looks like Canon has no many to develop good software. Terrible.

@SenJerzy wrote:

I'm using latest version: 4.8.30 which is extremily slow. On two of my computers.

One pretty strong PC with Invidia Geforce GTX1060 (Cannon suggestion - but did not help) and Thinkpad Yoga X3 (also pretty strong). Because it is so slow I can not use DPP for RAW image processing.

3 month ago I got the new 5DmkIV but I see, I was wrong. I should sell all my Canon lences and go for Sony. Also Canonconnect app is a problem. Now I am stackted with a problem and consider do by Adobe software wchich is additiona investmnet.

Was trying to contact Canon support but got stupid aswers. No support, not rational information. Looks like Canon has no many to develop good software. Terrible.

You are not having issues with the camera.  You’re having issues with your computers.  The Thinkpad seems like it could be a notepad, instead of conventional laptop.

Why are you using Canon Connect?  Because of the Thinkpad?  I would think that you should be using the EOS Utility.  I have a 16GB Dell gaming computer and 32GB Dell workstation, both with 4K video cards.  DPP runs like a gazelle, even with network files..

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I think i've tracked down all the things that slow dpp to a crawl in 4.8.x.   Windows 10 x64

1) DPP tries to open and search any zip files on the drive and sometimes starts searching non default drives.

fix remove .zip files from your drive that dpp has its default folder on.  Especially remove any zip files in the root of the drive.

2) Check task manager for any unclosed copies of DPP in the background processes.  Extra background processes slow it down and occasionly crash it if you don't clear them out.

fix save your work and then kill the extra processes using task manager.

3) Under tools option preferences General Settings turn off use of temporary files.  I have 12GB of ram and DPP does not need to use temporary files.  This sped up DPP back to a usable level.  

fix set maximum available on disk to 0 , click ok, exit dpp and then launch DPP again.

This is what worked for me after a year of looking for solutions.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements