cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photo Professional (DPP) 4.5.X is slow (performance)

raviballa
Contributor

I would love to continue to use DPP for its color output. But, where I am struggling with is its slowness to process RAW files. Loading of the RAW files is slow and I cannot tell when my minor corrections are applied to the image (there is no indication of DPP processing my adjustments). The 'Quick Check' of images is good though, without any lag.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SenJerzy
Contributor
Hi,
Finally we've got the solution - the new version of DPP 4.9 which resolvs the discussed problem.
It is fully discribed on Canon website. And... it works. The speed is improved.
Regards

View solution in original post

88 REPLIES 88

vincentau
Contributor

That's true we are facing the performance issue when process huge amount of RAW files via DPP.

I always get slow to preview and edit photos, quite time consuming process if you have ten thousands of photos need to work on it. How’s painful that I think as a nature photographer would know what I’m say.

Also, I have a comment on NR processing performance, more or less as a Canon user will be interested to know how well DPP did it. I would say that after I read through on some paper comparison, I’m not surprising another one did well than DPP but not a huge different that I don’t expecting result. So nosily pixels spots within the photo but brand (A, LR) did very well even though ISO 12800 captured from 7D Mark II, I know DPP is free but everyone knew that just a marketing game (Wool from the sheep) you and me had paid already.

Hope Canon’s software development team really spends more effort to enhance this two issues (high ISO NR control and the processing RAW file performance), we appreciated that if Canon user’s like me to get a good one finally.

Thank you.

Does anyone know that below meaning just released from Canon's of Hong Kong for DPP 4.5.20 :-

Caution

- The recipes in Digital Photo Professional 4-series cannot be used interchangeably with the recipes in Digital Photo Professional 1 through Digital Photo Professional 3.
- Digital Photo Professional 4-series and Digital Photo Professional 3.15 can be simultaneously installed to one computer.
- Improved the display speed by using a graphics processor (GPU) to process images for preview. For converting and saving, and printing, the conventional CPU processing is used.
To use this function, a GPU that has 1.0GB or more of built-in video memory and that supports CUDA (Compute Capability 2.0 or later) made by NVIDIA is required.
In addition, the latest driver made by NVIDIA must be installed.

As result, means that if user have Mac machine with ATI chips set will not support GPU processing to speed up image preview performance?!

Thank you.

Vincent

lankforddl
Apprentice

I've been using DPP3.x for a long time now and everything was working great. I upgraded to DPP4 and it eats memory like crazy. I have a Ryzen7 8 Core CPU with 32GB of RAM. Windows 10 64bit. SSD drive. The works. 

Any advice on how to rectify this? Seems like a memory leak. 

The memory consumption seems directly related to the number of photos in the active working folder. For example this folder has 80 images in it and consumes 99% of the RAM. I can opn a folder with 5 images and it consumes 7% or so.

Current version of DPP4 is 4.6.10.0

2017-04-14_22h43_35.jpg

Using a separate graphics card with its' own video memory makes all the difference in the world.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Using a separate graphics card with its' own video memory makes all the difference in the world.

I'm working strictly with the on board video on my Win7 Ultimate machine, so I think i'll be looking into adding a seperate graphics card of some sort. I'm assuming that it won't need to be any kind of an upscale gaming video card, maybe with 1 or 2 GB of its own RAM? Wonder if there's any other reconfiguring required...

@BurnUnit wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

I'm working strictly with the on board video on my Win7 Ultimate machine, so I think i'll be looking into adding a seperate graphics card of some sort. I'm assuming that it won't need to be any kind of an upscale gaming video card, maybe with 1 or 2 GB of its own RAM? Wonder if there's any other reconfiguring required...

I recently bought a gaming laptop because it was cheaper than a workstation laptop.  It has an i7 w/8 CPUs, 16 GB of system RAM and 4 GB on an NVIDIA graphics card.  When I run DPP4, it runs as fast as DPP3 did on my old Windows 7 machine, if not faster when it comes to batch processing.

I can start editing a photo after 2-3 seconds, instead of 20-30 seconds of watching the little spinning icon as the image is loaded.  My old DPP3 machine could batch process 20-30MB RAW files at about one per minute.  The gaming laptop can do about six per minute.  

I've run DPP4 on another laptop with an i3 and 8GB of RAM, and it crawls.  You can configure which applications use the graphics card.  Enabling DPP4 to use the graphics card seems to make it lightning fast.  Apparently, you cannot use a budget priced laptop, or even a low to medium performance laptop, with DPP4.  But, you don't need to buy the most expensive machine, either.  I bought a Dell on sale for roughly $1000.

@lankforddl wrote:

Seems like a memory leak. 

The memory consumption seems directly related to the number of photos in the active working folder. For example this folder has 80 images in it and consumes 99% of the RAM.

Current version of DPP4 is 4.6.10.0

2017-04-14_22h43_35.jpg

Nice piece of detective work! Thanks for posting this. I hadn't picked up on the relationship between the sluggishness and the large number of files in the active folder. What can make working with DPP4 so frustrating is that occasionally it runs up to speed but then the next time it will be bog slow. And it's not unusual for me to be working out of a folder with 50 or 100 files. Maybe rearranging things into some smaller subfolders would be a good  workaround for the time being.

KBeat
Contributor

Yes, I have the same problem. DPP (4.6.10) is virtually unusable with its current performance. I've been going back and forth with the Canon devs, and as of now they have no fix or explanation other than to admit "there is definitely something going on". 

I just did a commercial shoot where the workers were wearing very bright safety orange shirts. The color renders terribly in Lightroom, surprisingly well in macOS Photos, okay in DxO, but nearly perfect in DPP. Naturally, I wanted to handle production of this project in DPP, but I just can't do it.

It takes, on average, 20 seconds for a 5D Mark IV RAW file to load once I press "Edit Image." Once there, most of the editing is okay if not great, but selecting the dust/stamp tab takes another 25 seconds to load. Oh, and forget about trying to manually adjust image rotation/angle. It's so jerky it's unusable. I have to randomly enter numbers until I hit on just the right angle adjustment. Oh, and if you spend too much time editing the image, it will stop updating the preview with your adjustments, like it's run out of cache or memory. At that point, I can't even load a before and after preview. 

I'm running on pretty high end machine. A MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) with 2.5 GHz quad-core i7, 16 GB of RAM, and a 512 GB SSD along with the discrete NVIDIA GeForce GT750M with 2 GB of VRAM. I've tried DPP with "use graphics processor for image processing" enabled and disabled and, it if helps, it's so minimal I don't notice much of a difference.

Processor intensive applications like FinalCut Pro X, Photoshop, Lightroom, DxO and Photos run flawlessly on my MBP. DPP is the first application I've had serious performance issues with in years.

I put together a screen video for Canon showing the performance, so there is no question about my interpretation of the issue. Performance is abysmal. Restarts, reinstalls, and even trying an earlier version (they wanted me to try 4.5.20) have made no difference in terms of performance. DPP simply can't handle the 30 megapixel RAW images out of the 5D Mark IV. It's a shame, because in certain instances, nothing can touch DPP for color. 

Point the developers to this thread so that they know it is a more general problem and not specific to Macs.

There is nothing wrong with DPP4.  The problem is the hardware that people are using.  Does this looks slow to anyone.

https://youtu.be/btUuHHqvOQs

I am using a 4GB graphics card.  DPP flies Ike the wind.  Any questions?

Announcements