cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photo Professional 4

MLCarter1976
Contributor
I am on Digital Photo Professional 4 Version 4.10.50.1 and I am on Windows 10 x64. I find that DPP4main.exe even with "run as administrator" seems to be showing the "hour glass" when I open up. I can open up the application, however it might be having a memory problem as it was 3GB of memory and now at 1GB after I closed out of quick check. I left it running overnight to try to "learn" or do something, as I only have this application running. I am on an "older" laptop, with an Intel Core i73630QM CPU 2.40GHz with 1 socket, 4 cores, 8 logical processors, virtualization enabled, 8GB memory, and a SSD HD. I don't know if this is normal or usual or if people are able to assist? I have uninstalled and restarted and installed again. Just curious. Thank you. Also, is there someone who would have some helpful tips on how to use it? Thank you!
5 REPLIES 5

Tim
Authority

Hello MLCarter1976,

We're sorry to hear that you're having difficulties.  We recommend using a different computer to attempt to make a connection to in order to see if the issue persists.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Is another computer the only option available?

I think if you look at Canon's minimum requirements and/or recommendations for running DPP4 you'll see that it could put a really big strain on an older laptop. Or even an older desktop for that matter.

I'm always s bit surprised to see at least some members here running DPP4 on laptops that are seemingly pleased with the speed of their editing and RAW to jpeg conversions. But I suspect they are using fairly juiced-up newer model laptops, like something set up as a mid-range gaming rig.

MLCarter1976, 

You will definitely want to try a different computer to attempt to resolve this issue.  That would give you an idea if the issue is with the camera or something else. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

DPP has long had some memory management issues but the versions in the last year seem much better behaved in this regard and the only time I see anything approaching the old "memory leak" issues is when spending a long period of time (3 hours or more) with a directory of several hundred RAW files and then I have never seen it exceed 3 GB with recent versions even under those long use/big directory conditions.

I have used DPP in various versions since I bought a 1DM2 back in 2005 and I have been running 4.10.5.1 for several weeks on a HP Z820 workstation and a HP Zbook 17 G2.  Both are fairly well equipped (Z820 has twin 8 core Xeon processors each with 128 GB of memory and the Zbook has a 4 core I7 with 32 GB).  I have been using DPP for a couple of hours on the workstation and the memory consumed by DPP is fluctuating between .9 to 1.4 GB and doesn't go up appreciably in quick view with 650 RAW files selected.  I don't recall checking memory usage using task manager on the Zbook but I have never noticed a slowdown beyond the usual somewhat laggy performance when using some tools.

The memory usage you are experiencing seems high but maybe that is related to how your laptop handles video, both the Z820 and Zbook have Nvidia cards with their own dedicated video memory so they don't draw on system RAM.  

DPP remains fairly slow even when a lot of resources are available and it doesn't seem to do a great job of utilizing resources to achieve greater speed.  When using digital lens optimizer and making adjustments to noise reduction I am seeing it take up to 15 seconds to finish processing but CPU utilization stays in the 5-6% range with GPU loading under 10%  while waiting for it to finish.  

Before resorting to trying a different computer, use task manager to disable all unnecessary startup utilities and if you are running additional anti-virus/anti-malware stuff beyond what is provided with Win 10 also temporarily disable it.  Take a look at the task manager list sorted first by memory and then by CPU to identify anything that is consuming a lot of resources to see if you can kill those tasks.  DPP should run within the resources you have available to it with your current laptop but other processes or the terribly flawed Win 10 OS itself could be creating additional problems. 

And for my usual plea to Canon, PLEASE port this DPP software to Linux so that we aren't tied to the sociopathic problem child also known as Win 10.  My Z820 is dual boot and spends most of its time in Red Hat Linux which is so much nicer than dealing with Win 10 from a company that used to be pretty good at business oriented performance.  I was at an academic conference last weekend and one of the presenters had his laptop become nearly useless when Win 10 went into one of its self-inspired updates during his presentation. 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements