cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photo Professional 4 Non-responsive Following File Save

jazzone
Contributor

I've been using DPP4 since its introduction on my Windows 7 desktop without incident. I just upgraded to a new computer with Windows 10, more RAM (16 GB), and faster CPU (i7-8700). I now find that DPP (4.7) hangs for about 30 seconds following a file save.The strange thing is that DPP (and only DPP) becomes temporarily non-responsive following ANY file save, even a small Notepad text file. Watching Windows Task Manager, I see that the CPU utilization jumps to about 12% following a file save for about 30 seconds, but only when DPP is open. Any idea what's causing this and how to fix it?

52 REPLIES 52

Can anyone tell me where I can download a DPP 3 version?

Thanks,

I can not get back to v3, CR3 have to using on V4.1 or new, there is the point of. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
That’s interesting. I use Edge with W10 Home and have no problems at all.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

zaleo
Apprentice

Hmm, not sure is this what cause slow down, but if I remove image from drive root ( "j:/ef - copy.jpg"  in this case)

my directory tree how images are sorted:

after deleting image (from explorer, didn't touch DPP at all, it goes to unresponsive and seems to visit every single directory and its sub dir until it hits current work dir ("J:\kuvat\2019_01_19 ff dance" in this case):

and without filteration, it reads files from those dirs i think?:

just in case if someone wants to look more carefully, Original pictures are in: https://tmp.1g.fi/kuvat/nettiin_postaus/canon_dpp/

afzalb
Contributor

I'm on 4.9.20 and, if anything, the problem has just got worse and worse. 

Context:

Custom built i7-770k with 32GB, 500GB NVME SSD main drive with SATA II HDDs, running Windows 10 Pro (1809), with a 43" 4K display.

I've tried running in 1920x1080, running DPP in compatibility mode, and only editing images on the SSD. The program hangs almost every 5 minutes and I need to use the task manager to close it. Often shortcuts like Ctrl-Right arrow stop working as well.

At this point, I can hardly edit one image at a time. I like the tools of DPP4, but DPP3 is about 100 times faster and more stable than it.

Very disappointed.

@afzalb wrote:

I'm on 4.9.20 and, if anything, the problem has just got worse and worse. 

Context:

Custom built i7-770k with 32GB, 500GB NVME SSD main drive with SATA II HDDs, running Windows 10 Pro (1809), with a 43" 4K display.

I've tried running in 1920x1080, running DPP in compatibility mode, and only editing images on the SSD. The program hangs almost every 5 minutes and I need to use the task manager to close it. Often shortcuts like Ctrl-Right arrow stop working as well.

At this point, I can hardly edit one image at a time. I like the tools of DPP4, but DPP3 is about 100 times faster and more stable than it.

Very disappointed.

You lack a video card, preferably an NVidia video card.  Without a video card, your system RAM is shared for use as video RAM.  The CPU and video chip take turns accessing RAM, which slows down the throughput of the CPU.

Your very high resolution display is actually working against you, because it consumes more RAM than lower resolution monitors.  Most 4K displays are driven by a separate video card, so I am surprised you did not mention one.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Up to now, I've been happy with the on-die HD 630 on this machine.

I'll swap in a 6GB GTX 1060 from another of my machines and see how that changes performance.

So, GTX 1060 installed and GPU acceleration activated - difference, zero. DPP4 still hanging.
I tried going back a few versions, but nothing has changed.

zaleo
Apprentice

This is weird solution... but it seems to work (20 min test)

1. create new user to your computer

2. go to services and allow secondary login

(right click my computer and select MANAGE) / look for "services and application/services" / search "secondary login" and start it.

and if you want that service to start after next boot too, choose properties -> startup type -> automatic

after that you can start DPP as another user (close DPP, after that, shift right click DPP icon), select "run as different user"

now, if I delete files in explorer, DPP doesnt hang.

NOTICE, if your images are on c:/user/yourname/... DPP wont see them (that new user doesn't have permissions).  this only applies if you have secondary disk where you keep your files.

Can I still edit my photos if I don't have permission ?

Announcements