cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photo Professional 4 Non-responsive Following File Save

jazzone
Contributor

I've been using DPP4 since its introduction on my Windows 7 desktop without incident. I just upgraded to a new computer with Windows 10, more RAM (16 GB), and faster CPU (i7-8700). I now find that DPP (4.7) hangs for about 30 seconds following a file save.The strange thing is that DPP (and only DPP) becomes temporarily non-responsive following ANY file save, even a small Notepad text file. Watching Windows Task Manager, I see that the CPU utilization jumps to about 12% following a file save for about 30 seconds, but only when DPP is open. Any idea what's causing this and how to fix it?

52 REPLIES 52

Guys,

If you want to roll back to 4.7.20 let me know.  Send me a PM and I'll send you a link for for DL if you don't have it.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Icechamber...  got your message.  Sent you PM..  link for download DPP_4.7.2.0

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Icechamber, please let me know if reverting to the earlier version resolved the issue. 

Jazzone,

Check your PM.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the download. Unfortunately reverting back to 4.7.20 from 4.7.21 did not resolve the issue.

Sure.  Sorry it didn't help.  Wondering what else it might be.  Yours and icechamber are the only two persons I'd heard of with this issue.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Very strange problem. Even Canon tech support had not heard of this problem before. They thought it might be a software conflict with a startup program or service and suggested a start up with minimum programs and services and gradually add them back to startups until the problem appears. The problem was still there even with minimum startup loads. 

For the fun of it I installed DPP 3.14. It performed perfectly with no delay following a file save. There must be a bug in DPP 4. Hopefully Canon will fix it in future releases.

Canon has been unable to resolve the issue for me so I've decided to abandon DPP 4 in favor of the older DPP 3. I know its user interface is not as nice and it might have a few less features, but at least it's super responsive compared to DPP 4. And that's more important to me, especailly when processing large numbers of photos. Canon has promised to inform their DPP development team of this problem and hopefully it will be fixed in future software releases. In the meantime, it's back to DPP 3 until DPP 4 is fixed, or I buy a new camera with a RAW format that isn't supported by DPP 3.

Same problem with ver 4.7.20. But ver 3 is OK
Announcements