cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photo Professional 4 Installation Issues on Win 10

Vacublaster
Apprentice

Ever since I bought my 5D Mk4 around 6 months ago and got the DPP 4 software I haven't been able to install it and it fails with the message 'Failed to Install' on both that and the lens registration utility. In my process of troubleshooting I actually removed all of my Canon software and then found I couldn't re-install the Map Utility program either which was working before but now gave the same error. Strangely though the EOS Utility and Photo Stitch were fine going back on, they must not integrate into the computers system as deeply.

After many attempts with additional profiles and other attempts at installation, I gave up. Canon support weren't much help so I shelved it until today where I tried again. I again contacted support and they suggested all of the things I'd tried many times before. However, they suggested a new user profile which I'd also done before but this time I had the idea to enable and log on instead with the built in administrator account (which I'd disabled and left there in case of log in issues with my account). When I ran the installers in that account they installed immediately indicating a profile issue. However, when I logged off and back onto my account, disabled the adminstrator account again, both DPP 4 and Map Utility now worked.

So, I think that the Windows 10 permission issue that seems to plague admin user accounts even though they are in the administrators group is the issue here. It seems that my own user admin account couldn't access areas that the built in administrator account could. Once the installer could access the areas and install its components then it was fine for all user accounts to use.

Hope this helps someone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So, for anyone who is still having this issue and I am as of October 2020, the workaround is to place the DPP installer somewhere on the public desktop and then switch accounts to the built-in admin. Find the installer file on the desktop and run it.

The DPP software and lens tool will now install, this also works with DPP updates. If you get any messages about installing for all users click on yes.

Switch back to your own account by logging the built-in Admin off and logging back into your own account. DPP will now work correctly.

Hope this helps and let's hope Canon sorts this profile issue out soon?

VB

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Not sure what "Windows 10 permissions issue seems to plague admin user accounts even though they are in the administrators group is the issue here" you are referring to. 

The name of a user account does not affect the permissions it is assigned.  While your behavior does sound like a permissions or profile issue, its not related to the name of the user account built-in or otherwise.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

So, for anyone who is still having this issue and I am as of October 2020, the workaround is to place the DPP installer somewhere on the public desktop and then switch accounts to the built-in admin. Find the installer file on the desktop and run it.

The DPP software and lens tool will now install, this also works with DPP updates. If you get any messages about installing for all users click on yes.

Switch back to your own account by logging the built-in Admin off and logging back into your own account. DPP will now work correctly.

Hope this helps and let's hope Canon sorts this profile issue out soon?

VB

Vacublaster
Apprentice

The built-in Admin fixed it for me as well, thanks

Announcements