cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photo Professional 4.12.20 constant freezing

MerlijnD
Contributor

Hi People,

Couple months back I built my dad a new pc. Reinstalled everything and gave him the latest version of dpp.

Now there is major issue, whenever he browses through his photo's the program freezes constantly (not responding) for 10-20 seconds. I've already tried disabling accelerators in the options, noise reduction etc...

Now today I found out whenever I use windows explorer to open a file or something else I can force hang DPP.  It works 8/10 times for me.

Steps:

Open photo in dpp

Minimize foto in dpp

Open windows explorer -> open random file

Switch back to dpp -> its now stuck for me for 20 seconds or unless I force close windows explorer (windows explorer also becomes unresponsive)

When I close windows explorer it unhangs dpp

Now thats the way to force it but it also just hangs randomly every day whenever my dad unfocuses and refocuses the dpp window or just does other stuff in the program.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Camera used is 5d mk3 and 7D. On Windows 10 latest updates as of 8-5-2020

Greetings,

Merlijn 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MerlijnD
Contributor

Hello people,

After trying lots of things we have finally fixed it. Disconnecting our NAS smb share in windows explorer fixed all the slowness issue.

Greetings,

Merlijn

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

MerlijnD
Contributor

Hello people,

After trying lots of things we have finally fixed it. Disconnecting our NAS smb share in windows explorer fixed all the slowness issue.

Greetings,

Merlijn

Disconnecting the NAS also solved my problem.

However, I've got all my pictures there... so it is not a practical solution.

Is there any way to avoid the freezing without disconnecting the NAS?

Thanks,

Eider

I'm having this problem as well, version 4.14.0.0. While the program is not responding it's doing all kinds of things, accessing  files and many registry entries, see the Process Monitor screenshots below. Previous comments mentioned NAS and that is one of the things being accessed it looks like, not the NAS itself but a NAS Windows folder? When I turn off wifi so my laptop can't connect to my NAS anymore I can see that DPP doesn't try to access this NAS folder anymore and the program no longer freezes. So this supports the previous comments that suggest the problem is something with DPP trying access NAS. Accessing it unnecessarily I would add, since my files aren't stored on my NAS they're stored locally on my laptop.

procmon.JPG

procmon2.JPG

Lightroom does not perform correctly when the LR catalog is on a NAS, even though it is OK to have actual files on a NAS.

Perhaps DPP is doing some sort of indexing of where images are (or looking to see if there are any images)?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

MerlijnD
Contributor

Hi,

Ill report back after 1 year. Disconnecting the NAS indeed works BUT, after I reattached the network share/nas it has not happened again.

In short:

Connect NAS

Install DPP

= Slow

Connect NAS

Install DPP

Disconnect NAS

Connect NAS

= Problem solved

Greetings,

Merlijn

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Good info.

Do have any experience after having added additional image files after the

Connect NAS
Install DPP
Disconnect NAS
Connect NAS

process?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Photog
Apprentice

Try running DPP.exe in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode. I'm doing it because I was frustrated by all of the freezing and have not had any problems since making this change.

hborkhuis
Apprentice

I experience this every time I start DPP. The only workaround that seems to work is to restart the Windows Explorer after starting DPP

• Rightclick on the taskbar
  • Start the Task Manager. 
  • Search Windows Explorer and rightclick on this row
  • Select Restart. The taskbar disapears for a short time but comes back.

Probably the software uses a Filesystem watcher that has a link with the explorer. After restarting that connection might be lost.

Announcements