cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP4 gives "?" when viewing CRW images from Canon 5D ( Mark I,original) or S10.5D Mark IV is fine.

cprail1
Apprentice

Hi, 

I've recently returned to Canon having recently purchased 5D Mark IV. Previously I owned the original 5D and a number of the S series. I've installed only the Canon software associated with the Mark IV. 

My DPP version 4.10.20.1  .

I am able to open *.CRW files made with the Mark IV with DPP however if I try to open any of my CRW files from the earlier cameras, I get a "?" and the message that DPP4 cannot import it. 

The specific photo I'm trying to open - as I was asked to tweak it a bit - was originally taken Dec 14, 2003 if that assists in CRW version.  I've tried a number of different random photos with the same result. 

What fundamental thing am I missing ? 

Cheers and thank you, Peter

9 REPLIES 9

Peter
Authority
Authority
5D and 5DIV will give you CR2. S10 will give you jpg. Do you have the samples to upload?

Ray-uk
Whiz

Canon stopped using CRW files in 1998 and changed to CR2, but the 5D came out in in 2005, something strange happening here.

Peter
Authority
Authority

Both my D30 (2000) and my 300D (2003) use CRW. 1998 I would guess Canon used DCR instead (Kodak) with Canon EOS D2000 and Canon EOS D6000.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@cprail1 wrote:

Hi, 

I've recently returned to Canon having recently purchased 5D Mark IV. Previously I owned the original 5D and a number of the S series. I've installed only the Canon software associated with the Mark IV. 

My DPP version 4.10.20.1  .

I am able to open *.CRW files made with the Mark IV with DPP however if I try to open any of my CRW files from the earlier cameras, I get a "?" and the message that DPP4 cannot import it. 

The specific photo I'm trying to open - as I was asked to tweak it a bit - was originally taken Dec 14, 2003 if that assists in CRW version.  I've tried a number of different random photos with the same result. 

What fundamental thing am I missing ? 

Cheers and thank you, Peter

You might try downloading DPP3.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/support-dslr/eos-d60

That is the support page for the D60, which seems to have a lot of the older software for older operating systems available for download.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Here’s what is supported by DPP4. If you have cameras not on the list you can download DPP3. 

FEC353A7-4F7F-488B-8DA7-B536A2AE6C35.jpeg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

cprail1
Apprentice

Guys, 

Thank you for the replies. Very much appreciated. 

Peter and others - here is a link to a Onedrive folder with a copy of  the 2003 image if you'd like to give it a try

https://1drv.ms/u/s!At1woGHlIfmngYrlZR_W9GTjRzQNtKE?e=MWcZgD

From what you've all noted I think the issue is the first '2003' camera. I obviously have the model wrong as while it was an S-xx, one of the reasons I bought it is that it allowed jpg AND raw. Maybe an S-100? 

Anyway, reading the posts it looks like I need to track down a copy of DPP3. The links in the posts were to an updater that presumed I still had the original disk. Oops.  I thought I was doing myself a favour keeping the *.crw imges all these years. 😉

Is there a way to convert from the older canon raw format to the new so I can keep everything at the same level? 

Thank you for the leads. I'll try these out and report back if I get things working, or not. 

Appreciated !

Cheers, Peter

@cprail1 wrote:

Guys, 

Thank you for the replies. Very much appreciated. 

Peter and others - here is a link to a Onedrive folder with a copy of  the 2003 image if you'd like to give it a try

https://1drv.ms/u/s!At1woGHlIfmngYrlZR_W9GTjRzQNtKE?e=MWcZgD

From what you've all noted I think the issue is the first '2003' camera. I obviously have the model wrong as while it was an S-xx, one of the reasons I bought it is that it allowed jpg AND raw. Maybe an S-100? 

Anyway, reading the posts it looks like I need to track down a copy of DPP3. The links in the posts were to an updater that presumed I still had the original disk. Oops.  I thought I was doing myself a favour keeping the *.crw imges all these years. 😉

Is there a way to convert from the older canon raw format to the new so I can keep everything at the same level? 

Thank you for the leads. I'll try these out and report back if I get things working, or not. 

Appreciated !

Cheers, Peter

Canon Powershot S40. Seems Canon (ZoomBrowser EX?) doesn't support S40 anymore. Pick another raw converter. Lightroom or darktable (free) for example. Then you can remove the red pixel in the train window and the green pixel in the sky to the right.

cprail1
Apprentice

So, I've been able to install DPP3, thanks to another of John's posts, and I guess I'm making progress. 

The 'Edit image' box stays greyed out and the image in question still doesn't present a preview, however for what its worth the 'info button' brings up the shooting information which confirms it is a raw image, shot by an S40.  May be I'm just not using DPP3 correctly. Will continue to play.

So, making progress although not yet there. Next ideas welcome. 

File name 257_5770 (2).CRW
File Size 3.0MB
Camera Model Name Canon PowerShot S40
Shooting Date/Time 12/14/2003 12:08:14 PM
Shooting Mode Shutter Speed Priority AE
Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/800
Av (Aperture Value) 4.5
Light Metering Center Weighted Avg.
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed Auto
Lens 7.1 - 21.3mm
Focal Length 12.3mm
Digital Zoom None
Image Size 2272x1704
Image Quality RAW
Flash Off
White Balance Auto
AF Mode Single AF
Active AF Points [ Center ]
Parameters
Contrast Normal
Sharpness Normal
Saturation Normal
Drive Mode Single Shot
Owner's Name Peter & Karen Ely
Comment

@cprail1 wrote:

So, I've been able to install DPP3, thanks to another of John's posts, and I guess I'm making progress. 

The 'Edit image' box stays greyed out and the image in question still doesn't present a preview, however for what its worth the 'info button' brings up the shooting information which confirms it is a raw image, shot by an S40.  May be I'm just not using DPP3 correctly. Will continue to play.

So, making progress although not yet there. Next ideas welcome. 

Go back to the link that I posted earlier.  Select an older OS, like Windows XP.  Download the Canon Codec.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements