Canon Community Canon Community

Frequent Contributor

Re: DPP4 displays "Cannot Import Image" for some .tif type files

For the record.  I have figured out how to merge layers in GIMP.  However, neither the GIMP (.xcf) file nor the resulting .tif exports are any smaller than the multi-layer versions and the exported .tif still won't open in DPP.  Is there another reason one might want to do this?

Occasional Contributor

Sorry, I didn't mention it. I use DPP4 because my version of Photoshop does not recognize the new generation of Canon .cr2 raw files, but DPP4 can convert them to simple 16 base tiffs for further editing in any other program.

Mark

Honored Contributor

Hi Mark. Adobe also offers a free software called Adobe DNG Converter that will convert your RAW file to a DNG file that can be opened by Lightroom or a Photoshop.  

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LRCC Classic
Occasional Contributor

I’m not sure whether that converter is up to date re current Canon raw format. Also is there any reason to prefer dng vs tiff format?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

here is the list of currently supported cameras: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html#Canon

If you are doing initial RAW conversion and editing in DPP then you would use DPP to export a TIFF to LR or PS.

If you are creating a TIFF file in a software tool just so you can get it into LR or PS for editing then it is my understanding that it is better to create a DNG file and then process it in LR or Adobe Camera Raw/PS. Any camera specific profiles and presets can be used with the converted DNG files. Not so with the TIFF files. Camera lens data is lost for applying lens corrections, but you can manually select the lens profile infomation and apply it, but that requires that you know what lens was used.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LRCC Classic
Occasional Contributor

Aha, I downloaded the latest version of Adobe DNG converter and it can convert my canon raw files (which Photoshop itself no longer does). The files are about the same size as the tiff files created by Canon DPP4, so there's no saving of disk space with this other method, although saving lens and white balance info is handy to save some time editing in Pshop. Thanks for the tip. NB the DNG converter is a bit tricky to use, you have to click on the folder containing the raw files you want to convert, but not double click opening it in the DNG file selection window. And it does all the files in that folder, so you have to make a subfolder if you only want to convert some. But that info was available online, so not a big deal.

Mark

Honored Contributor

@mesamuels wrote:

Aha, I downloaded the latest version of Adobe DNG converter and it can convert my canon raw files (which Photoshop itself no longer does). The files are about the same size as the tiff files created by Canon DPP4, so there's no saving of disk space with this other method, although saving lens and white balance info is handy to save some time editing in Pshop. Thanks for the tip. NB the DNG converter is a bit tricky to use, you have to click on the folder containing the raw files you want to convert, but not double click opening it in the DNG file selection window. And it does all the files in that folder, so you have to make a subfolder if you only want to convert some. But that info was available online, so not a big deal.

Mark

Save your original RAW files somewhere, too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Frequent Contributor

Another finding that might be of interest to some.

This topic was started because I was trying to use DPP4 to interface with my Canon printer.  Also, Picasa has been working quite well for this purpose but it now seems like relying on Picasa going forward is NOT a good idea.  Of course DPP4 is not much help when it comes to trying to print files that it cannot open/process.  However, I've now discovered that software supplied with my Canon printer called "My Image Garden" is able to open/process, at least, some of the troublesome files.  It will take a little more time to confirm this discovery sufficiently to feel like this is a good solution.  However, for the moment it looks promising.

Still curious about why some Canon software can process these files whereas Canon software designed for the purpose of editing those files CANNOT.  Go figure!