Canon Community Canon Community

Honored Contributor

Re: DPP4 displays "Cannot Import Image" for some .tif type files

Maybe download and try Canon Print Studio Pro as a plug-in in Photoshop. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LRCC Classic
Occasional Contributor

Thanks I will check it out.
Occasional Contributor

Thanks John, great tip. I did not get the Print Studio Pro plug-in with my DPP4 canon install for some reason, and it was rather a job to find the download on the company site for my printer, but eventually did, then figured out how to install inside Photoshop. It is there now and does pretty good color rendering, much better than Photoshop itself, about the same as DPP4. One odd thing though, I am using Canon Photo Glossy Plus II paper, but when I set the print menu for that paper, there is a definite reddish color cast, which is not there when I use a simple Glossy Photo paper setting. Even my b&w shots are a bit sepia-ish with that profile, versus a straight b&w with the glossy paper profile. Canon apparently thinks everything should be red or brown, in printing as well as on the screen.

Cheers!

Mark

Honored Contributor

Interesting you say that Mark. I also found that sekecting Black and White Photo in the driver as well as PSP gives that sepia cast. Not so if I convert to B&W in Lightroom and then print. I had a dialogue with Red River Paper about that and will post separately.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LRCC Classic
Occasional Contributor

John in my example it was telling the printer different papers that made a difference. Even though the software and printer and paper are all Canon, telling the printer the actual paper I was using (Photo Glossy II Plus) on a true black and white image still created a sepia cast with that paper profile (faint but there). Printing a "true" black and white still uses all the colors on the printer to get all the greys apparently, it can't be done just with black ink alone since there is no "white" ink. Odd that the mix is wrong for the real paper used with the profile.

Mark

Frequent Contributor

The recent reply by "mesamuels" is of some interest.  I'd recently posted this problem to the GIMP forum.  In that case the topic resulted in some interaction that seems to have discovered a related factor that was previously unknown.  We've pretty much determined that the problem in GIMP is associated with multi-layered images.  Insofar as, I THINK, Photoshop is also a multi-layered editor it naturally occurs to me to ask if the torublesome image referenced by "mesamuels" is also multi-layered.

Also, of possible interest, is that the problem can be corrected by remaking the image with another editor that is capable of opening the problem image.  For example, if I open my problem images in Rawtherapee and directly export to a new .tif format file in the same precision the resulting image can be opened in DPP and by the way is also substantially smaller.

Note: In the case of RT, when the image contains an ICC profile and you want to keep that profile you would need to learn how RT handles output profiles and make the desired profile available.  In that, maybe not as direct as I've implied.  Other deviations may also be possible.  This is new discovery for me.

Occasional Contributor

A good question, usually when I save my Photoshop files to tiff I reduce the layers to save filespace. In this particular case it didn't seem to be related to that, but to converting to Grey mode from RGB mode while in Photoshop, apparently that had some effect on the tiff file even without layers, that made it unrecognizable by DPP4. But I am happy using Canon's Photo Studio Pro plugin directly in Photoshop, it is doing a good job rendering colors, as good as DPP4 anyway, still needs some tweaking to reduce the amount of red as usual with Canon.

Mark

Frequent Contributor

Mark,

Thanks for the clarification.  Possibly we're both of the mind that real pictures need to be printed.  I've been relying on Picasa for that but as with all software it suffers from its' own peculiarities and trying to reconsile them is becoming impossible.  I'm not sure why Canon wants to limit Print Studio Pro (PSP) to functioning as a plugin.  Since I'm not interested in playing the Adobe game I need GIMP to do multi-layer kind of stuff and it is also a pretty good and powerful editor otherwise.  This makes the path back to PSP, for me, via DPP.

Maybe I just don't know how to eliminate the layering in GIMP.  You've at least given me the idea to investigate that possibility.

Thanks again and good luck with the Photoshop plugin.

Occasional Contributor

Canon's Photo Studio Pro plugin also has a module that works directly in DPP4, which has some photo editing capabilities, not as elaborate as Photoshop (or I presume Lightroom). It's only meant to be the printer interface. Also Canon has other editing software (Picture Style Editor e.g.), although again not as elaborate as Pshop. For some reason when I downloaded DPP4 the plugin did not come with automatically, although it is supposed to according to some site. When I finally downloaded, it automatically installed for both DPP4 and Photoshop, although it was not obvious where to find the Plugin in the various print menus.

Ansel Adams famously said the negative (or digital file today) is like a musical score, the print is the actual performance.

Happy holidays!

Mark

Esteemed Contributor

@mesamuels wrote:

Canon's Photo Studio Pro plugin also has a module that works directly in DPP4, which has some photo editing capabilities, not as elaborate as Photoshop (or I presume Lightroom). It's only meant to be the printer interface. Also Canon has other editing software (Picture Style Editor e.g.), although again not as elaborate as Pshop. For some reason when I downloaded DPP4 the plugin did not come with automatically, although it is supposed to according to some site. When I finally downloaded, it automatically installed for both DPP4 and Photoshop, although it was not obvious where to find the Plugin in the various print menus.

Ansel Adams famously said the negative (or digital file today) is like a musical score, the print is the actual performance.

Happy holidays!

Mark

One of the great tragedies in the history of photography is that Ansel Adams didn't live to become a user of modern photo editors. His obsessive finickiness in the darkroom would certainly have transferred over.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA