Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Re: DPP4 displays "Cannot Import Image" for some .tif type files

John, thanks for the additional information. I didn't have a "complaint" so much as just wanting to understand how the software was behaving. My particular workflow was complicated by the issue of printing, I found that DPP was rendering colors better than Photoshop, but I wanted to use Photoshop as my main editor. So I was trying unsuccessfully to do a multi-step process: 1) convert Canon raw to dng with the DNG converter (which worked), 2) edit dng files in Photoshop (which worked), and 3) re-open edited files in DPP (which didn't work). However, since then, some tweaks in Photoshop printing and colors are better now on my Canon printer, plus somehow DPP is now opening tiff files exported from Photoshop, which it wasn't previously, oddly enough. In general, it does seem that not all tiff files are equal, different applications include various metadata, some of which DPP doesn't recognize. That is definitely not on Canon, they never claimed DPP could do that. Just useful to know for one's own workflow. Meanwhile I'm doing more darkroom printing, at least of my black and white film pix, so less digital printing anyway! Cheers.

VIP

[ Edited ]

@mesamuels wrote:

John, thanks for the additional information. I didn't have a "complaint" so much as just wanting to understand how the software was behaving. My particular workflow was complicated by the issue of printing, I found that DPP was rendering colors better than Photoshop, but I wanted to use Photoshop as my main editor. So I was trying unsuccessfully to do a multi-step process: 1) convert Canon raw to dng with the DNG converter (which worked), 2) edit dng files in Photoshop (which worked), and 3) re-open edited files in DPP (which didn't work). However, since then, some tweaks in Photoshop printing and colors are better now on my Canon printer, plus somehow DPP is now opening tiff files exported from Photoshop, which it wasn't previously, oddly enough. In general, it does seem that not all tiff files are equal, different applications include various metadata, some of which DPP doesn't recognize. That is definitely not on Canon, they never claimed DPP could do that. Just useful to know for one's own workflow. Meanwhile I'm doing more darkroom printing, at least of my black and white film pix, so less digital printing anyway! Cheers.

There is no accommodation in DPP to edit layers.  Any TIFF files would need to be flattened before you could edit them in DPP.

[EDIT] Canon's DPP is an image processor, not an image editor.  If that makes any sense.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Occasional Contributor

Oddly, I was able to export tiff files from Photoshop with layers, and DPP was able to open them, with some editing capability. It must be seeing them as flattened. Not clear how this is all working, or how a tiff file embeds metadata on layers versus pixels, but DPP seems to have figured it out, at least for some kinds of edits. The whole issue is no longer relevant for my own work flow, but just mentioning.