Canon Community Canon Community

Frequent Contributor

DPP4 displays "Cannot Import Image" for some .tif type files

It seems that DPP4 cannot open (i.e., import/input) some .tif type files.  The specific files that are affecting me were created by GIMP 2.10.4 and are uncompressed .tif type (both 8 bit and 16bit) files.  The related scenario involves the case where initial processing of a raw file (type .CR2) was done by DPP4.  Then a 16bit .tif is created by DPP4 which is then used as input to GIMP.  After some additional editing another .tif type file (either 16bit or 8bit) is exported from GIMP.  The later cannot be imported by DPP4.

No other image processor that I'm using has any problem opening these files.  This includes GIMP, Rawtherappee, XnViewMP, Picasa, Windows Photo Viewer, MS Paint and interestingly Canon's My Image Garden.

Product Expert
Product Expert

Re: DPP4 displays "Cannot Import Image" for some .tif type files

Hello aajax, 

I understand that this issue with these files persists.  Since it only seems to affect files processed in this way, through GIMP, it's most likely a compatability issue.  There's no plugins available that would alter the way the program works in that regard, unfortunately. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Frequent Contributor

Based on troubleshooting to date, I would NOT say it ONLY happens with files created by GIMP.  The only .tif files I've been able to open/import, using DPP4, are the ones also created by DPP4.

While it is possible that the compatibility problem is with GIMP, given the rather significant number of other (independent) software products that have no problem opening/importing the files created by GIMP it appears to be far more likely that the culprit is DPP4.

To be sure, this is not much of a problem for me because my work flow involves using DPP4 to do basic initial development of raw files to include lens correction and white balance adjustment and then rely on GIMP and/or Rawrtherapee for things like exposure adjustment, tone curves, and sharpening.  I would think that Canon is the party that ought to be the most troubled by this finding.

Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello aajax, 

Thank you for the clarification into this issue.  It's not immediately clear what the root cause of this issue is.  We will need to consult with additional resources to investigate further.  Thank you for your patience during this time. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Honored Contributor

" I would think that Canon is the party that ought to be the most troubled by this finding."

Actually, I would think that the number of folks importing non-DPP TIFF files into DPP is a very small population.

DPP is primarily intended to process Canon RAW files. If someone has the software to create TIFF files from a Canon RAW file then they have the software to edit that file. What would be any advantage to importing into DPP?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LRCC Classic
Esteemed Contributor

@Tim wrote:

Hello aajax, 

I understand that this issue with these files persists.  Since it only seems to affect files processed in this way, through GIMP, it's most likely a compatability issue.  There's no plugins available that would alter the way the program works in that regard, unfortunately. 

I don't doubt that it's a compatibility issue. But historically, at least, it hasn't been limited to files produced by GIMP. I've experienced, and reported, several instances where DPP couldn't read a JPEG file that was produced by an earlier version of DPP or by a different editor that Canon once included with their cameras. In at least one case, my problem was fixed in a subsequent release of DPP. But if I had the time, I could probably come up with some JPEG files that DPP would still not be able to read.

Compatibility is a two-way street. An incompatibility can result either from an image file that doesn't meet its own standards or from an editor that can't read an image file that does. Since the latter situation has occurred with DPP, I think it's incumbent upon Canon, in this case, to examine the particular TIFF files and establish what the incompatibility is that keeps them from being read. Note that I don't say that Canon should modify DPP to read the files if they don't meet the TIFF standard (unless DPP was the editor that produced them). But if they do meet the TIFF standard, DPP should be able to read them.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Esteemed Contributor

@aajax wrote:

Based on troubleshooting to date, I would NOT say it ONLY happens with files created by GIMP.  The only .tif files I've been able to open/import, using DPP4, are the ones also created by DPP4.

While it is possible that the compatibility problem is with GIMP, given the rather significant number of other (independent) software products that have no problem opening/importing the files created by GIMP it appears to be far more likely that the culprit is DPP4.

To be sure, this is not much of a problem for me because my work flow involves using DPP4 to do basic initial development of raw files to include lens correction and white balance adjustment and then rely on GIMP and/or Rawrtherapee for things like exposure adjustment, tone curves, and sharpening.  I would think that Canon is the party that ought to be the most troubled by this finding.

I don't disagree with your conclusion, but I confess to being a bit baffled by the fact that you care. DPP has all of the capabilities that you mention, so why on Earth would you want to introduce GIMP into the equation? Other than the annoyance of DPP's propensity to take 45-second breaks while doing essentially nothing, I don't see any downside to using it for all your editing.

Full disclosure: I do sometimes use Irfanview on JPEG files that I've produced using DPP. But I do it for only two reasons: redeye correction and the introduction of IPTC data. (DPP should, of course, have both of those capabilities, but doesn't.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Frequent Contributor

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

DPP is primarily intended to process Canon RAW files. If someone has the software to create TIFF files from a Canon RAW file then they have the software to edit that file. What would be any advantage to importing into DPP?

I agree.  I'm certainly not feeling a need to process .tif using DPP.  I also can't think of a good/normal reason others would want to.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Based on feedback herein, I've gone back and looked to see if I can find .tif type files created by software other than GIMP that gets the same result and this ended up being pretty easy to do.  In this case it is files created by Rawtherapee (Version 5.3).  During this hunt I also noticed another anomoly that should be factored into this discussion.  It turns out that I also found some .tif type files created by GIMP that DPP opened without issue.  Furthermore they were created by the same version of GIMP (2.10.4) as the ones that fail within a couple of days of each other.  Likewise, with Rawtherapee.  Some work some don't.

I'm pretty much of a novice when it comes to digital photography but my impression is that one of the things photogarphers like about .tif is that it offers better and more universal compatibility than other standards.  Of course I've also learned that all .tif type files are not alike.  One significant option that definitely affects compatibility is compression.  The .tif standard allows for optional support of several types of compression.  This has caused me compatibility problems in the past which is why I've now opted to create only uncompressed .tif type files.  It looks to me like DPP has opted to do the same thing.

By the way, the version of DPP that my experience herein applies to is 4.8.30.0.

Occasional Contributor

I've been having this problem with some tiff files generated by Photoshop. Someone asked why go into an editor like GIMP or Photoshop, then export as tiff and then go through DPP4 again. Based on some suggestions made elsewhere on the web, I have been doing this because DPP4 interacts better with my Canon printer (Pro-100) especially for color. I don't have a calibrated monitor, so it's a bit of trial and error to get prints looking as I want from the screen view. I've found that DPP4 is better for this than Photoshop, even when I let the printer driver supervise colors in the print menu. DPP4 doesn't read Photoshop files directly, so they need to be exported. Anyway, after some trial and error I found that DPP4 could not read the tiff or jpeg files generated by Photoshop if I reduced from color to black and white mode. I don't normally do that, even when I want to print in black and white, but I use film also, and the lab is scanning black and white film in color mode which makes the files much larger than necessary. But after editing in Pshop in b&w, and exporting as tiff or jpeg, DPP4 doesn't read them. If I convert back to color mode in Photoshop and re-save as tiff now DPP4 reads it. I have no idea what Photoshop is doing to the metadata when you switch from color to b&w mode, but maybe this is the same issue for the person who started this thread?

Is there a way to get DPP4 to recognize black and white photoshop mode files?

thanks!

Mark