Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: DPP4 displays "Cannot Import Image" for some .tif type files

Hi, what I wrote in my previous post is no longer working. Now I manage to open images edited with gimp saving them in TIFF, then reopening and saving them again in TIFF with NOMACS (https://nomacs.org/). 

This should work not only with GImp, but also with other applications.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Meaning resaving it in tiff with some other apps/editor like Nomacs we will be able to open the edited tiff in DPP again right? Will give it a try...
Highlighted
New Contributor

Yes, resaving with nomacs works for me. Other editors might not work.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Noted.. thanks for the info 👍
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finally figured out what was causing the problem I had which triggered my original post.

In my case I was using GIMP to do additional editing.  This frequently, but not always, involved adding additional layers.  It turned out that exporting a multi-layer image from GIMP utilizes capablility that .tif format provides for preserving the layers.  GIMP has an option on the export dialogue that says "Save Layers" but unchecking (i.e., turning that option off) ends up creating image files that DPP4 could NOT open.  However, GIMP has a function called "Flatten" that can be applied to the mulit-layer image that produces a single layer image.  If this is performed prior to exporting the .tif format file then DPP4 has no problem processing the resulting files.

I think the multi-layer files in GIMP have something called an Alpha channel associated with them and the "Flatten" function removes said alpha channel.  Possibly turning off "Save Layers" does NOT.  Anyway it looks like Alpha channels might be something that DPP4 is unable to process when inputting .tif files.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

If you have a program like GIMP what is the advantage/need for further editing in DPP. Although capable of editing TIFF and JPEG files it’s primary purpose is editing Canon RAW files. Just curious; looking to understand the use case.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LR Classic
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks aajax for the input.

For my case, after processing in Topaz's Sharpen AI or Denoise AI which I am having problem with to open tif file later in DPP4, I think they have same effect as what GIMP does, like you mentioned above.

So what I did, I opened those tif files edited in Topaz's using GIMP. Then added a layer and then flatten it and then saved. Surprised! Now the tif file can be opened in DPP4.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi John.

For myself I sometimes use DPP to review my final images for shadow and highlight using DPP shadow and highligh alerts, which I found very helpful. I also use DPP to browse all my image folders. And some of us prefer to print their pictures out from DPP which they said giving better colour rendering on papers.

It is a bit frustrating when you open DPP and there you see series of thumbnails with large question mark on it.
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

John's observation is accurate.  I do use DPP4 for developing the raw file.  Typically producing a .tif file.  GIMP may then be used mostly for things like adding borders and text but occasionally I'm able to make some improvement to the developed image using GIMP editing tools.

I also use Rawtherapee (RT) to develop raw files which may seem odd but I've found that sometimes I get a more desirable result with DPP4 and sometimes with RT.  As with DPP4 developing raw with RT produces another .tif file and it might get similarly processed by GIMP.  I typically develop with both DPP4 and RT and compare results.

I don't think this workflow is what a professional with lots of files to develop would do.  However, as a novice it both helps to learn how to use image editing software and while I think I should be able to reproduce the result obtained by DPP4, which is a bit simpler to use, using RT that is not always the case.

The above method can end up with quite a few files that represent different versions of editing any particular photo.  When I open DPP4 and select such a folder and find images that it cannot process it was troubling even though DPP4 seemed to be the only one of many viewers I use that couldn't display said images.  It made me think that something was wrong with them.  It might not be considered wrong but since I had no use for layers and/or alpha channels in these files resolving that issue resulted in what I think is a better result.

Saif is also correct when pointing out that most of my image editing is aimed at producing prints.  While I've found My Image Garden to be pretty effective for printing there are situations where Print Studio Pro (PSP) may be preferred.  As far as I know PSP must be invoked from DPP4.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the response saif and aajax. 

Looks like you have a process that works for you, which is all that counts. We each need to develop a workflow that we are comfortable with and gives the results we want.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LR Classic