cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP4 / Auto Gamma / Image Resizing

Fotokatze
Contributor

Sometimes when I use the Auto Gamma function, DDP4 will adjust my image size or modfy the distortion correction. If I go to the Lens Distortion setting aft this, it's still turned on. If I toggle it off/on it doesn't restore the image to where it was when it initially loaded. Edit to add: If I do "Revert to Shot Settings" the dimensional change stays.

I also notice sometimes when changing between tool palette tabs that the image size/distortion changes. This isn't just the transition from partial resolution to full resolution as it renders - the image changes dimensionally.

Has anyone else seen this happen? It makes me wonder whether my image is getting processessed as intended. Or maybe the initial display of the image is "off"?

8 REPLIES 8

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I use DPP heavily but very rarely use auto gamma because it usually does things I don't like.  Probably it works very well in a lot of situations but most of what I shoot is either sports in low light or sports in very high dynamic range situations and auto gamma seems to go more after an overall fix of the entire scene instead of the best adjustment of elements important to these photos.  This makes sense for the great majority of users. But in the few times I have tried it, I haven't noticed a change in distortion or image size.

One quirk I do notice is that the image displays very slightly differently in the crop tool window compared to the other windows and primarily seems to be displaying the image with no noise reduction applied.  Aspect ratio remains exactly the same but the size appears to jump ever so slightly probably because it is displaying the image with room to show a crop tool line at the absolute image borders when needed.  Although I don't actively use it anymore, I was re-editing some old images caputured years ago with my 1D Mark II and the current version of DPP displays those images in black and white in the crop tool window.

Depending upon the camera used, DPP shows three different "forms" of the image in my experience.  My 1DX Mark III imposes more overhead than my other Canon bodies and even on my very fast HP dual CPU workstation there is a few seconds of wait time in the stamp/clone tool until you can work on the image, there is no significant delay with my 1DX II or 5DS series bodies in that tool tab.  In the primary adjustment tab, and especially noticeable for files with heavy noise reduction, there will be a short time when the large version of the "wait wheel" is spinning and the image resolution is heavily reduced.  During the next phase with the small version of the wait wheel spinning, minor changes in resolution and noise reduction occur over a few seconds, and in a few cases a few seconds after the small wait wheel disappears the final noise reduction is completed with another obvious change in NR effects.  On a slower computer, these phases of change may appear differently.

In general, I like DPP and in the past 48 hours I have edited close to 2,000 files from Friday night football and a regional soccer championship.  The only major annoyance is the splash screen that pops ups when it is converting and saving a file to JPG, it is useless info that gets in the way of doing other things.  Minor annoyances are having to use the mouse or enter key as a second step to confirm saving an image under its original file name with the jpg image when converting; it would be nice to have a selectable default for that choice without having to do a second click each time.  I could batch convert to get around these annoyances and sometimes use that method but it would be nice to have the human interface for DPP improved which brings me to the final annoyance.  At least once during each major editing session, I will accidentally hit the arrow on the scroll bar to the right of the tool sections which which amkes the tool tabs disappear.  Maybe that is useful for someone using a small screen for DPP editing but it isn't needed for someone using a large monitor and it is annoying when you are doing a lot in a short period of time and don't need distractions from a a poorly designed and implemented human factors interface.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

One quirk I do notice is that the image displays very slightly differently in the crop tool window compared to the other windows and primarily seems to be displaying the image with no noise reduction applied.  Aspect ratio remains exactly the same but the size appears to jump ever so slightly probably because it is displaying the image with room to show a crop tool line at the absolute image borders when needed. . .

Rodger

I think I've seen this kind of behavior in DPP if I've made a rotation adjustment. It will crop the image just enough to fill the frame.

Like Rodger, I use DPP exclusively. I never use the Gamma or Fine tune tools, in fact, I wish there was a way to make DPP hold your last layout. I collapse them as soon as I open the program.

However, after reading your post, I just went through the last two folders of CR2 and CR3 files that I edited and applied "Auto" Gamma adjustment to quite a few images. I don't see any image resizing. I also never see anything happening to my images when switching tabs. Lens correction distorts my preview for a quick second as does noise reduction, but I don't shoot really high ISO like Rodger does, mine usually stay under 6000 on the R5 & 6 and 4000 on the 5D mark IV, but that isn't typical and no matter what tools or adjustments, my image dimensions never change, not even during rendering (I hope I understand what you are saying by "size").

You never say what system you are using, so it's hard to say if it might be hardware or memory related. I know Rodger has a high end system, IIRC, and I have a mid-range desktop replacement Dell XPS 17 laptop that is pretty strong. On my system, I just never see the the problems you describe. Like Rodger, I have some gripes iwth DPP 4, but not enough to make me pay for a Raw editor. I'm still happy with it and it does everything I need it to do.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Newton,

I know what you mean about collapsing the Gamma and Fine tool areas, I do the same thing and allowing more fine tuning of defaults is something I wish were part of the DPP interface.  If a simple version of the crop tool were integrated into the main adjustment tab, I could stay in that tab the overwhelming majority of the time.

I haven't used the batch process heavily in a few months but since I last gave it a heavy workout, it seems like the algorithms have been tweaked a bit to make it faster.  Converting RAW to JPG in batch is taking under 1 second for 1DX II files and about 2 seconds for 1DX III files which is faster than I recall from last Spring.  With twin Xeon CPUs, the 1DX III files peak at around 35% CPU load briefly with the 1DX II files at around 20%.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Are you using Canon lenses?
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Have not used DPP in ages, not since I bought a Mac, instead of a PC. If I remember correctly, the term “Lens Correction” applied to Canon lenses. A separate “Distortion Correction” slider was used for third party lenses.

No matter the make, wide angle lens correction does tend to crop the image slightly along the edges. This effect seems more pronounced when applied to third party wide angle lenses.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Yes.

@FloridaDrafter wrote:

You never say what system you are using, so it's hard to say if it might be hardware or memory related.

Newton

I'm using a 4 or 5-year old consumer laptop - definietly not a powerhouse.

---------------------

It sounds like I have a hardware lag issue, then. All of my operations take much longer than what others in this thread quote for their times. Time to start researching for a computer replacement!

@Fotokatze wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Yes.

@FloridaDrafter wrote:

You never say what system you are using, so it's hard to say if it might be hardware or memory related.

Newton

I'm using a 4 or 5-year old consumer laptop - definietly not a powerhouse.

---------------------

It sounds like I have a hardware lag issue, then. All of my operations take much longer than what others in this thread quote for their times. Time to start researching for a computer replacement!

You didn't say what camera you have, but you can see the minimum requirements for DPP on the Canon download site. The biggest bang for your buck is generally more RAM.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements