cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP4 Adobe RGB processed incorrect

Skies
Contributor

I upraded from DPP3 to DPP4. (4.6.10.0)

I was stuggling with the shadow areas of the photo's I processed.

There was no detail in the shadows, it was pure black.

Today I opened an old image and exported it with the same settings, and discovered that DPP4 is displaying AND EXPORTING Adobe RGB all wrong. It's a mess! 

When changing to sRGB colors are ok, but when choosing any other profile the contrast increases, like the top and bottom of the spectrum are cut off. But it should not change at all!! Just like when converting to another profile in Photoshop.

Am I missing something here or what the..?

Attached are two screenshots of the DPP2/3 (top) and the DPP4 (bottom) version, as seen in Photoshop.

Note how the DPP4 version has lost all detail in the shadow areas.

Settings where the same for both exports. (defaults)

Also note the histogram that also shows that the actual file is different and it is not my color settings.

So I guess it's back to DPP3 again until this incredible bug - that for some mysterious reason has not been mentioned anywhere before - is fixed.

Sorry for my frustration but I recently also was blown away by a totally messed up 'saturation' slider on the Adobe side, that also nobody seemed to notice (Lumetri saturation in Premiere Pro). Adobe raw colors are also horrible and that's I why I use DPP.

I hope I am missing out on some checkbox or something that solves the problem.

dpp2-vs-dpp4.jpg

32 REPLIES 32

Skies
Contributor

I have 'botched' the problem for now by setting the Output level (under 'Adjust image tone curves' tab) to 13 (and copy to all other raws).

When doing that, shadows magically get detail again.

Maybe the most 'true' value will be a different number, but around 13 seems good.

What steps did you follow:

1. set working color space to Adobe RGB

2. transfer to Photoshop, or alternately Convert and save a TIFF and open in PS.

I just tried that and my images look identical DPP & PS.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks John,

Yes the images look identical in DPP en PS, but not in DPP2/3 and DPP4.

As I show in the screenshot.

the upper was exported in DPP2/3 (i forgot if it was 2 or 3) and the lower in DPP4.

@Skies wrote:

Thanks John,

Yes the images look identical in DPP en PS, but not in DPP2/3 and DPP4.

As I show in the screenshot.

the upper was exported in DPP2/3 (i forgot if it was 2 or 3) and the lower in DPP4.

Check and compare your lens correction settngs, lighting optimizer settings, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your input,

'lighning optimizer' is off and the rest at defaults (in this particular example).

But it's the same for all images, dark areas are clipped (if I use the correct term).

Could anybody try and switch from sRGB to aRGB color profile for the image, there should be no change in overall appearanceif I am correct.

All other color spaces like wide gamut look exactly the same as aRGB (thus wrong, with clipped blacks and maybe also highlights) except sRGB, this has proper shadows.

The export looks the same as the preview in DPP, so it happens inside DPP.

Shadows are 'cut off'. Just like sliding the 'shadow input level' in Photoshop Levels up to around value 13.

@Skies wrote:

Could anybody try and switch from sRGB to aRGB color profile for the image, there should be no change in overall appearanceif I am correct.

All other color spaces like wide gamut look exactly the same as aRGB (thus wrong, with clipped blacks and maybe also highlights) except sRGB, this has proper shadows.

The export looks the same as the preview in DPP, so it happens inside DPP.

Shadows are 'cut off'. Just like sliding the 'shadow input level' in Photoshop Levels up to around value 13.

I do not have DPP2.  When I use DPP3 or DPP4, the image changes slightly, as well as the histogram, whenever I change work color space setting.  Changing to the other color spaces creates similar changes.  I have always considered this to be the normal behavior.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I just started my old PC (New DPP4 was installed when upgrading the PC).

And in DPP 3.11 sRGB actually makes the shadows a bit darker than the other profiles... The other way around almost.

That is weird also..

Is Canon reading these forums?

"Is Canon reading these forums?"

Not really. It's moderated to make sure we don't get out of lineSmiley Happy, but it's not a technical help forum. It's user help. 

You could give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON and see if they have any ideas. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
What happens if you select Auto in the Gamma window?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements