cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP4 AF Points Not Showing

CHAPLAINMARK
Contributor
When I tick the AF Points checkbox, no AF points are visible, niether in Quick Check nor Edit windows.
I saw a post here about this issue, which contained a reference to Tools>Preview>Multi-Function Preview, but that did not make AF points visible for me.
Am I missing something?
Thanks..!
Chaplain Mark
'Tis better to have a camera and not need one, than to need a camera and not have one.
15 REPLIES 15

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Chose a photo and enter Edit mode.  Now press ALT+J  you should get all AF points, or just AF points in focus depending on what you selected on the Tools > AF Point Display settings menu.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi, Rick,

Thanks for the repy.
I know about ALT+J to toggle AF points; it doesn't work, nor do any of the other menu selections for AF points.
Although my cameras are listed as supported, I'm wondering if perhaps the fixed lens on the PowerShot models is not supported to show AF points?
Let me know what you think, Sir, and thanks!
'Tis better to have a camera and not need one, than to need a camera and not have one.

@CHAPLAINMARK wrote:
Hi, Rick,

Thanks for the repy.
I know about ALT+J to toggle AF points; it doesn't work, nor do any of the other menu selections for AF points.
Although my cameras are listed as supported, I'm wondering if perhaps the fixed lens on the PowerShot models is not supported to show AF points?

Are you using BBF, Back Button Focus?  For some reason, if the AF system is not “alive” when the shutter is activated, then DPP does not display any “focus locked” AF points.  

The solution to this quirk is to be sure that you are depressing BBF when you activate the shutter.  This activates the focusing system, and the camera will write the data to EXIF.  Actually, the camera always writes the data.  Other programs, like Lightroom, can display the AF points, irregardless of whether or not the AF system was active.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your reply.

The shots in question were not captured using BBF, no.

I am going to go back and double-check my findings in DPP4, with the above postings in mind, and will report back here.

Thanks again,

Chaplain Mark

@Waddizzle wrote:

@CHAPLAINMARK wrote:
Hi, Rick,

Thanks for the repy.

Are you using BBF, Back Button Focus?  For some reason, if the AF system is not “alive” when the shutter is activated, then DPP does not display any “focus locked” AF points.  

The solution to this quirk is to be sure that you are depressing BBF when you activate the shutter.  This activates the focusing system, and the camera will write the data to EXIF.  Actually, the camera always writes the data.  Other programs, like Lightroom, can display the AF points, irregardless of whether or not the AF system was active.

Doesn't that "solution" pretty much defeat the main purpose of BBF, i.e. to decouple focusing from the shutter button? Won't holding down the BBF button while you activate the shutter simply return the camera to its default behavior?

And if the camera captures the AF point data but DPP doesn't use it, doesn't that say that a) there's a bug in DPP or b) Canon doesn't trust the accuracy of the captured data?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Or it doesn't work on Powershots. i.e., that is a feature that requires an EOS camera.

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@CHAPLAINMARK wrote:
Hi, Rick,

Thanks for the repy.

Doesn't that "solution" pretty much defeat the main purpose of BBF, i.e. to decouple focusing from the shutter button? Won't holding down the BBF button while you activate the shutter simply return the camera to its default behavior?

And if the camera captures the AF point data but DPP doesn't use it, doesn't that say that a) there's a bug in DPP or b) Canon doesn't trust the accuracy of the captured data?

You can use BBF in One Shot mode to set focus, and then press the shutter without worrying about the camera trying to refocus.  I do this when I am trying to focus one a bird in a tree, when there are lots of surrounding branches.  So, no, it does not defeat the purpose of BBF.

Canon displays the AF points in one of two states Active in Inactive.  Lightroom has a module, or had an add-in module, which could display the AF points in one of four states, which adds Selected and Not Selected states to the display.  Selected means the AF system is active, but only because a point cannot be “selected” if the AF system is idle.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Your suggestion of using Alt+J helped. Thanks a lot.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

RAW or JPEG? What camera? What lens?

I know that using Lens Optimization will prevent the focus points from showing in the camera, I don't know about DPP.

Announcements