cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP won't open in Windows 8

bublynski
Contributor

Hi...

We can't get  Digital Photo Professional (v3.13.0.1) to open on our Windows 8, 64-bit machine.  We get the following message:

DPP windows 8 error message.JPG

We've uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times, made sure the screen resolution is above 1024 x 768, and have tried using the compatibility troubleshooter to change DPP settings to run in 16-bit color, but nothing works.  Help!

25 REPLIES 25

Back again Chums. The problem is resolved for me and everything works as it should. This is what needs to be done and I hope this works for all of you:

Right click on the DPP icon and click on Properties. Click on the Compatability tab then check the Disable display scaling box. Et voila, as the French would say, it opens. You will need to follow the same directions in order to open up the Picture Style Editor.

Here is a question for Canon: why are the controls in Picture Style Editing far better to use than those in DPP?

@Jerrin1 wrote:

Back again Chums. The problem is resolved for me and everything works as it should. This is what needs to be done and I hope this works for all of you:

Right click on the DPP icon and click on Properties. Click on the Compatability tab then check the Disable display scaling box. Et voila, as the French would say, it opens. You will need to follow the same directions in order to open up the Picture Style Editor.

Here is a question for Canon: why are the controls in Picture Style Editing far better to use than those in DPP?

I'm glad you found a solution that works, but I have to suppose that the underlying problem is in the software for your display interface, not in the Canon programs. I don't have that box checked, and I don't have the problem.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Well stab me vitals, Bob, you were spot on! Although I only purchased my Canon system a few days ago the DPP was the old version. I have just downloaded version 4.5 and it works a treat without having to tick the DPI box. You are a star: thanks a lot. New version looks a lot better than the old one.

@Jerrin1 wrote:
Hi Chums, I have just downloaded DPP from my brand new solutions disc only to discover it will not run in windows 8.1. I too, get the infamous 1920 x 1080 pop up. My computer is linked to my Samsung UE55H7500 4K TV and the resolution far exceeds that which is required. The PC monitor setting is at its maximum 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz. I have an Intel HD grahics card and right clicking on the screen does not show any magnification settings as refered to in previous posts. I have reloaded and attempted to run it as an administrator; but, alas, it still does not work. How can there be no fix when this has been rambling on for 3 years? I would be eternally grateful if someone has a fix that works for me.

Your brand new solutions disk is probably obsolete. Download DPP (and EOS Utility) from the Canon Web site.

FWIW, I run both versions of both programs continually on three different Windows 8 computers, two of them 8.1.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Lightroom is better, anyway."   Smiley Very Happy  Bingo and Amen!

But guys Bob from Boston is correct.  DPP will run on either Win 8 or 8.1  Who in the world runs Win 8?  Smiley Sad

Actually DPP 4 is a pretty nice program.  Give Canon another 5 years or so and they might get it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

eyeofhorus
Apprentice
solved same problem through canon support site using: Digital Photo Professional 3.15.0 Updater for Windows
File version: 3.15.0 Release date: 25 September 2015
Announcements