cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP won't open in Windows 8

bublynski
Contributor

Hi...

We can't get  Digital Photo Professional (v3.13.0.1) to open on our Windows 8, 64-bit machine.  We get the following message:

DPP windows 8 error message.JPG

We've uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times, made sure the screen resolution is above 1024 x 768, and have tried using the compatibility troubleshooter to change DPP settings to run in 16-bit color, but nothing works.  Help!

25 REPLIES 25

vlad2304
Apprentice

I have absolutely the same problem on my new Samsung Ativ 7 notebook with 1920x1080 resolution.

I think that it is some kind of incompatibility problem between Windows 8.1 and DPP.

If anybody have a solution, please, share it with us!

It looks like I have found a solution: I started incompatibility problem solver (right click on DPP logo) and now it's working.

mgilliam
Apprentice

I am getting the same error on an Asus Laptop with Windows 8.1 touchscreen.   I installed the software on another computer with Windows 7.....      no error message!   Canon needs to fix this software bug immediately. 

I have DPP on window 8 and it works fine.

J_Almonte
Apprentice

This solution worked for me:

Right-Click the shortcut

Go to the compatibility tab

Check "Run this program as an administrator"

I have the same problem on a new PC.  It has nothing to do with display settings or video cards it is a security issue.

The program only wants to work if you have admin access to your computer.  What crap.  Only a real crap program would require you to have admin access to run.

There is likely a settings file(s) somewhere that you need to modify the security on so the prohgram can get read/write access to.

I have trie to find this file(s) but it is not in the Canon program folder.  I will try and get a monitor tool to see what it is trying to update on startup.

Is there no techincal support from Canon?  That's the problem with hardware companes they don't seem to know anything about software.

tobytussah
Apprentice

I have a similiar problem with Win 7.  I partially solved the problem by going the the Persionalize Tab, then the Display tab.

I had the Character size set to Larger (150%).  When I changed the size to Medium (125%) DPP oprned and worked ok.

It is a pain the change the Character size since a reboot is required.  Being 80,  I normally use the 150 size so I have to change the size and reboot after I exit DPP. This may work with Win 8.  Let me know if it does.  I plan to switch to Win8 soon.

Regards

Hi Chums, I have just downloaded DPP from my brand new solutions disc only to discover it will not run in windows 8.1. I too, get the infamous 1920 x 1080 pop up. My computer is linked to my Samsung UE55H7500 4K TV and the resolution far exceeds that which is required. The PC monitor setting is at its maximum 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz. I have an Intel HD grahics card and right clicking on the screen does not show any magnification settings as refered to in previous posts. I have reloaded and attempted to run it as an administrator; but, alas, it still does not work. How can there be no fix when this has been rambling on for 3 years? I would be eternally grateful if someone has a fix that works for me.

I know!  After trying everything, we finally gave up in frustration and stopped using the software... Lightroom is better, anyway.  

Thank you for promt reply. I am begining to believe that choosing something else is the only solution. A great pity, as I for one expect better things from Canon.

Announcements