cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP vs LR question

stevewhis
Apprentice

when I look at the same image (RAW with no processing changes) in the latest versions of both Lightroom and DPP, there is noticeably less noise in the image when viewed on DPP.  Is that to be expected?  I'm wondering if DPP applies some noise reduction as a default setting?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Both software packages can apply camera profiles and color profiles to a RAW file. 

As for your question, you will have to go into each package and carefully compare their default settings.  Typically, LR does not apply any processing to any imported files, not unless you configure a "preset" to be applied during Import.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

This is normal.  The good news is nothing is broken.

RAW images require some processing before they can be displayed... much in the same way that "film" had to be developed and printed (and you could vary the processing steps and get different results.)

If you attempted to display the data in a RAW file with no processing, then what you'd end up with is an image that looks like a mosaic or red, green, and blue squares (each square is just a single color channel - not blended colors) but they'd all be different brightness levels.  Each "pixel" is technically called a "photo-site" because they only have single channel color values for each spot.  A true "pixel" has a red, green, and blue color component to it and the combine to make a blended color.  RAW files don't have blended colors (at least not until they are processed.)

Software then has to "de-mosaic" the data (sometimes called "de-bayering" becuse the color filter array used in the camera is commonly called a "Bayer mask"). Each photo-site is compared to it's neighboring photo-sites to determine what the combined color value should be for that spot and the photo-site is converted into a pixel.

It turns out there are a lot of different algorithms that can be used to handle the de-mosaicing process.  So if you were take the same RAW file and feed it into two different software applications that deal with RAW images, you wont actually get the same result.  

In addition to the de-mosaicing process (which can vary) there's also the notion of a camera & lens profile.  

The camera automatically applies some adjustment to every JPEG photo that you shoot.  But it does not apply any adjustment to the RAW data.  Straight out of the camera... a JPEG photo usually looks better (but a RAW will ultimately look better once it's been adjusted on the computer.)  

Since most of the changes that are required are the same changes for every image, software that prcoesses RAW images tend to use a camera and/or lens "profile".  This is basically a standard set of adjustments that will automatically be applied to every image that you import (and you can override these profiles... the changes are not "destructive" in that they wont get rid of your original data.)

What you're noticing are difference in the Lightroom default profile vs. the Canon DPP default profile.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Both software packages can apply camera profiles and color profiles to a RAW file. 

As for your question, you will have to go into each package and carefully compare their default settings.  Typically, LR does not apply any processing to any imported files, not unless you configure a "preset" to be applied during Import.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

This is normal.  The good news is nothing is broken.

RAW images require some processing before they can be displayed... much in the same way that "film" had to be developed and printed (and you could vary the processing steps and get different results.)

If you attempted to display the data in a RAW file with no processing, then what you'd end up with is an image that looks like a mosaic or red, green, and blue squares (each square is just a single color channel - not blended colors) but they'd all be different brightness levels.  Each "pixel" is technically called a "photo-site" because they only have single channel color values for each spot.  A true "pixel" has a red, green, and blue color component to it and the combine to make a blended color.  RAW files don't have blended colors (at least not until they are processed.)

Software then has to "de-mosaic" the data (sometimes called "de-bayering" becuse the color filter array used in the camera is commonly called a "Bayer mask"). Each photo-site is compared to it's neighboring photo-sites to determine what the combined color value should be for that spot and the photo-site is converted into a pixel.

It turns out there are a lot of different algorithms that can be used to handle the de-mosaicing process.  So if you were take the same RAW file and feed it into two different software applications that deal with RAW images, you wont actually get the same result.  

In addition to the de-mosaicing process (which can vary) there's also the notion of a camera & lens profile.  

The camera automatically applies some adjustment to every JPEG photo that you shoot.  But it does not apply any adjustment to the RAW data.  Straight out of the camera... a JPEG photo usually looks better (but a RAW will ultimately look better once it's been adjusted on the computer.)  

Since most of the changes that are required are the same changes for every image, software that prcoesses RAW images tend to use a camera and/or lens "profile".  This is basically a standard set of adjustments that will automatically be applied to every image that you import (and you can override these profiles... the changes are not "destructive" in that they wont get rid of your original data.)

What you're noticing are difference in the Lightroom default profile vs. the Canon DPP default profile.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

thanks much - that helps a lot!

@stevewhis wrote:

when I look at the same image (RAW with no processing changes) in the latest versions of both Lightroom and DPP, there is noticeably less noise in the image when viewed on DPP.  Is that to be expected?  I'm wondering if DPP applies some noise reduction as a default setting?

DPP does; I can't speak for LR because I've never used it. But if you shoot in RAW mode, you can increase it or back it off in either editor without compromising the image quality.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

DPP auto applies NR unless you disable it in the preferences. LR just applies Colour noise at a default of 25. I took a series of shots at ISO 100, 200, 400, 800 and so on. I adjusted the Liminance noise for each file based omn on the ISO and then used the Set Default Settings command for each file. I also added custom sharpenig, masking adjustmets, etc. Now that all auto applies when import a folder into LR.               

The real advantage to DPP is Canon typically introduces Lens Profiles first for their products, for example LR still does not have a profile for the 16-35 f2.8L Series III, although you can get close with the other 16-35 corrections, it is still not a true lens profile for that lens.

The second advantage is once you have applied the profile you can save the RAW file and the data file reamins and then if you are more compfortable with LR you can then import and take over there.

@Mitsubishiman wrote:

The real advantage to DPP is Canon typically introduces Lens Profiles first for their products, for example LR still does not have a profile for the 16-35 f2.8L Series III, although you can get close with the other 16-35 corrections, it is still not a true lens profile for that lens.

The second advantage is once you have applied the profile you can save the RAW file and the data file reamins and then if you are more compfortable with LR you can then import and take over there.

The original data does remain, but I don't think LR can see the changes you've already made in DPP. (In fact, DPP 4 can't even see the changes you've made in DPP 3.) So it's more like a do-over than a takeover.

Bob

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star
You can export RAW in DPP and in the case of lens profile correction it does retain it, however you must export in order for the file to retain that information, LR will not recognize that it has been corrected.
I have compared the files by making a copy of the original RAW and examined them.

@Mitsubishiman wrote:
You can export RAW in DPP and in the case of lens profile correction it does retain it, however you must export in order for the file to retain that information, LR will not recognize that it has been corrected.
I have compared the files by making a copy of the original RAW and examined them.

How do you export a RAW file from DPP to LR? As far as I can see, the only export options (under either "Convert & Save" or "Batch Process") are JPEG and TIFF.

Bob
Announcements