Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP ver. 4.8.3 crashing when trying to edit any image

pazure
Contributor

Windows 10 Pro,

16GB RAM, SSD Drive

Very latest DPP version, every time I try to edit a CR2 RAW image, when I select the "Edit image" button, there is a pause while DPP prepares to crash hard. It then disappears from the screen.

This same exact behaviour was happening with the last 4.7.x version I had installed.

What the heck is going on? Crashes when attempting to edit .JPG's OR .CR2's.

Works fine on my Macbook.

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Have you tried uninstalling, restarting your machine, and performing a fresh install of v4.8.3.  Sometimes installing over an existing version with issues brings the previous issues along with it.  

You can also review the System Event Viewer for possible errors or information regarding the crash or program closure. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@pazure wrote:

Windows 10 Pro,

16GB RAM, SSD Drive

Very latest DPP version, every time I try to edit a CR2 RAW image, when I select the "Edit image" button, there is a pause while DPP prepares to crash hard. It then disappears from the screen.

This same exact behaviour was happening with the last 4.7.x version I had installed.

What the heck is going on? Crashes when attempting to edit .JPG's OR .CR2's.

Works fine on my Macbook.

My first guess would be that you're having some sort of permission issue. Try running the program with Administrator privilege (if you're not doing so already) and see if that helps.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks all.

I'll try the uninstalling, then reinstall trick. I think that may just do it since it would be odd to have an upgrade repeat the crash errors of the previous software.

And thanks for the admin permissions suggestion. I'm guessing that won't be the problem since it would most likely just not do anything, or give a strange error message, not just crash.

We'll see.

Thanks again!

I tried uninstalling DPP, restarting, then reinstalling with 4.8.3, with the same exact outcome.

I tried starting the program with Administrator permissions. Same exact outcome.

I tried adding the Dpp4.exe file to Windows Defender (I'm not running any other AV program) exclusions list (which I never had to do before). Same exact outcome.

I may just have to find an old version and install that.

No one else having these difficulties? Windows 10 patched to the very latest? Very, very capable PC with tons of RAM, and nothing having changed since it once worked?

This is frustrating.

@pazure wrote:

I tried uninstalling DPP, restarting, then reinstalling with 4.8.3, with the same exact outcome.

I tried starting the program with Administrator permissions. Same exact outcome.

I tried adding the Dpp4.exe file to Windows Defender (I'm not running any other AV program) exclusions list (which I never had to do before). Same exact outcome.

I may just have to find an old version and install that.

No one else having these difficulties? Windows 10 patched to the very latest? Very, very capable PC with tons of RAM, and nothing having changed since it once worked?

This is frustrating.

Does the DPP crash show up in the Windows log files?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

It does Bob, and I did look into that. When the app crashes, it shows Event ID 1000 and then post crash, ID 1001 comes up. The exe is the main culprit, but I did notice that the faulting module was ntdll.dll (and later after changing some settings USER32.dll was at fault).

That led me to research this with ntdll.dll as the focus and I found one reference to an Nvidia driver. But I have a Radeon card, but that prompted me to check the driver version, and I found that I was a bit out of date. I should have thought of that right away. I'll look into USER32 next.

I updated the video drivers, didn't restart, attempted to Edit image, and the problem remains. A few seconds of spinning cycles, followed by a hard app crash. So now, I've just uninstalled DPP, and will restart. Will report back the results.

Thanks Bob.

Windows totally updated to latest patches. DPP version is 4.8.3, the latest. My video drivers are now the latest. Clean start of Windows and still no luck.

It's actually making it further than before. At least after I hit the "Edit Image" button, I'm shown the Edit window briefly, with an out of focus image that I selected, but I get the timer icon, and then it hard crashes.

Note that I *can* actually edit the image since I can see the floating Tool palette, and all the RAW image editing controls are there affecting the image when I attempt any RAW edits.

I can't remember now, but what exactly is the use of the "Edit Image" button if I can edit the images as seen? I've used so many different RAW editors now, I can't remember. I can see the folder structure on the left, the folder contents shown as thumbnails on the bottom.

I should note that the thumbnails (which I have chosen to be displayed horizontally at the bottom of the screen) show a paintbrush painting a square icon in the top right. Have I somehow gotten stuck in an Edit mode, thus making the "Edit Image button" superfluous, and perhaps even buggy?

I ran into the crash problem when I first updated to this version and it was due to some file in the image directory it didn't like; as I recall I had some already processed JPG files in the same directory as the RAW files.  I started it again and switched to a different directory before it crashed and it was fine.

One 4.8.3 quirk I continue to notice is sometimes after dumping a new set of images from the camera, no matter which image I select it automatically brings the last image in the file into the edit window.  It only does this once with a new set of files so it is a fairly minor annoyance.

A more major annoyance is since the last set of Windows updates I have to go through the EOS connection wizard every time I transfer files to the PC. This is NOT a Canon issue. I use the ethernet port in my 1DX II to transfer and I had it set up with a static address which had worked great since I first bought the camera in February.  Once I have a little more time I will figure it out but it is just one more in a long line of issues with the way the "new" Microsoft does business with their "we know better than our customers approach".  Unlike earlier iterations of Windows, Win 10 often resets many preferences and settings as part of their forced updates creating problems for the customers with products that either no longer work or don't work like they should until the newly created MS problems are resolved.  When it is time to replace my HP workstation with a new PC it won't be anything that runs a Microsoft operating system UNLESS the adults move back into control in Redmond.  Basic business sense is you don't spend time adding bells and whistles until the basic product is stable and functional and Win 10 is anything but.  I have used MS since the PC DOS days and never considered switching an OS until Win 10 came along; it is like a hyperactive kid constantly screaming for attention and causing troubles instead of quietly doing its job of providing the infrastructure for applications to do their job.

At least MS provides a little comic relief.  Their Win 10 mail app sends all of the email from MS about my Office 365 subscription directly to the junk folder 🙂

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thanks for the input, and I wholeheartedly agree. I'll try your suggestion.

I run all 3 major OS'es (Linux Mint, macOS, and Win 10 Pro) on different laptops and desktops, and have to say the Macbook has become my favorite, and this is also from a long time MS user  (the old MS-DOS 4.1 days). Each OS has it's pluses, and the Mac is not without it's hiccups, but working with it feels like I'm strapped into the form fitting capsule of a race car. It just feels comfortable and well thought out - the colors look terrific as well. Sometimes, the exact same software inexplicably looks and functions differently between the Mac and PC, with the superiority of design and functionality going to the Mac.

Even though my Windows version problem really hasn't been solved, since I can still access the RAW editing capabilities, I think we can consider this question closed. From comparing the two modes, the Edit Image editing mode anchors a Histogram at the top of the right side of the window, and below that is the entire Tool palette (the same one that can be made to float). I can access all the same tabbed areas (lens correction, cropping, area adjustment and dust removal) as in Edit Image which makes me wonder what the heck purpose is served by the Edit Image button and that separate screen it takes you into.

Announcements