cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP: spinner symbol in lower right corner of Quick View

ejohansen
Contributor

I keep getting a spinning symbol in the lower right corner in Quick View on some, but not all, photos.  Sometimes it seems to prevent me from returning to the main window.  Any thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5

Danny

Hi, ejohansen!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which operating system is running on your computer (i.e. Windows or Mac OS, and which version thereof). That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

Windows 10

DPP Version 4.15

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

That indicates DPP is busy doing some processing. 

I have never noticed this in the Quick Check window so I just went back and looked for it. 

I primarily use a HP Z840 workstation with twin 3.4 Ghz. 6 core Xeon CPUs and twin Nvidia Quadro workstation graphics cards and the busy symbol never shows up with quick check using that machine.  Using my less powerful HP Z Book laptop (4 core 2.8 Ghz I7 with Nvidia Quadro graphics card) a couple of times the symbol showed up for a split second when reviewing 1DX III RAW files with in the Quick Check window but you would miss it if you blink.

If it is staying on your screen for some time, then it sounds like either DPP or some other task is taking a lot of system resources. 

You can use task manager (press ctrl + alt + del) to see how your system resources are being used and if DPP is running out of processor, memory, or disk resources. 

On a fast workstation, the only thing that really slows down DPP is when I am using digital lens optimizer with 1DX III files and those can take up to 10 seconds to finish, otherwise actions are very fast.  One of my former colleagues uses DPP on a pretty basic Win 10 system and he has experienced a lot of delay and system lags and I suspect a 1DX III file would pretty much slow his system to a crawl.  DPP takes a lot of system resources to run smoothly.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ejohansen
Contributor

I should add that I'm also frequently unable to leave Quick View to return to Main Menu.  The only way I've found to leave Quick View is to close the program

ejohansen
Contributor

It seems that the problem may have been caused by a bad HEIC image file in the relevant subdirectory.  Occasionally I get an iphone photo that has an "e" before the file number (e.g., img_e1234.heic).  The "e" seems to indicate a file error.  When I deleted the files with the "e" preceding the image number, the Quick View problems seems to have gone away. 

Note that my subdirectory is mostly CR2 files, but also includes some heic files that DPP can't read.  I can, however, view the heic files in other post-processing software.

Announcements