cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP quits after 5 seconds

mangurian
Enthusiast

The latest version starts and shows images in the home directory.

It does not respond to any mouse clicks and simply exits after about 5 seconds.

Any help GREATLY appreciated.

running Windows 10 latest version on a Dell 8900 with I7.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I haven't experienced any problems with the current version but in previous versions I found that if for some reason DPP didn't like a certain file then it would hang and then exit.  Try removing all of the current files from the home directory and see if it starts OK then you can bring in groups of files to see where it fails.

Do you have mixed files (RAW along with JPG or TIF) in the directory?  i recall one version of DPP got upset when RAW files from my 1DM2 and 1DX M2 were in the same directory.  I haven't tried that combination with the current version but I regularly have RAW files from my 1DX and 1DX M2 in the same directory since I use both with appropriate lenses for shooting soccer.

I have DPP set to start with a blank directory which avoids any delay in loading files that will come from a directory with a large number of files and also avoids the issue with it immediately crashing if there is a file it doesn't like.

I do wish Canon would port DPP to Linux so I could get away from Win 10 because DPP with its great Canon RAW converter is the primary reason that Win 10 is on my HP workstation which is a dual boot system.  It is also configured with Red Hat Linux which is a fast, svelte, and trouble free OS unlike Win 10 which is like a hyperactive brat always causing problems and screaming for attention.  Last week one of the constant Win 10 updates decided to remove the driver for my monitor and replaced it with a generic "plug in play" driver appropriate to the late 1980s.  It temporarily turned my 4K monitor and Nvidia graphics card into the equivalent of a 1980s SVGA setup.  Last week I was tired after shooting a couple of soccer games and when I started transferring photos from my cameras to the system I thought something had gone badly wrong with my camera setup because the images showed washed out color and poor contrast but fortunately that was just from Win 10 changing from the proper monitor driver and was easily (although with Windows probably just temporarily) corrected.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I haven't experienced any problems with the current version but in previous versions I found that if for some reason DPP didn't like a certain file then it would hang and then exit.  Try removing all of the current files from the home directory and see if it starts OK then you can bring in groups of files to see where it fails.

Do you have mixed files (RAW along with JPG or TIF) in the directory?  i recall one version of DPP got upset when RAW files from my 1DM2 and 1DX M2 were in the same directory.  I haven't tried that combination with the current version but I regularly have RAW files from my 1DX and 1DX M2 in the same directory since I use both with appropriate lenses for shooting soccer.

I have DPP set to start with a blank directory which avoids any delay in loading files that will come from a directory with a large number of files and also avoids the issue with it immediately crashing if there is a file it doesn't like.

I do wish Canon would port DPP to Linux so I could get away from Win 10 because DPP with its great Canon RAW converter is the primary reason that Win 10 is on my HP workstation which is a dual boot system.  It is also configured with Red Hat Linux which is a fast, svelte, and trouble free OS unlike Win 10 which is like a hyperactive brat always causing problems and screaming for attention.  Last week one of the constant Win 10 updates decided to remove the driver for my monitor and replaced it with a generic "plug in play" driver appropriate to the late 1980s.  It temporarily turned my 4K monitor and Nvidia graphics card into the equivalent of a 1980s SVGA setup.  Last week I was tired after shooting a couple of soccer games and when I started transferring photos from my cameras to the system I thought something had gone badly wrong with my camera setup because the images showed washed out color and poor contrast but fortunately that was just from Win 10 changing from the proper monitor driver and was easily (although with Windows probably just temporarily) corrected.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Starting in an empty directory worked.  Thanks.   One more example of shoddy DPP programming.  Sad, because the functions are so good.

All versions of DPP normally work fine with an occupied or empty directory but I have used it since buying my 1DM2 back in 2005 and I recall a few occasions where a particular file would create an issue.  I suspect it had something to do with the recipe applied along with specific edits but I could never narrow it down to any single specific action. It seems the problem would usually go away in later revisions but removing the problematic file would also stop hte issue and that is when I decided it was simplest to have DPP start with a dummy folder.

I have my own mystery from last night because the last 40 images I shot with my 1DX were in JPG rather than RAW.  My most common setup for soccer is a 1DX 2 with a 300mm 2.8 and the 1DX with a 70-200 2.8 and I always shoot in RAW and have never used the JPG option in either body.  Today I will spend some time searching through the 1DX manual to see if there is some fast change option I could have accidentally hit to cause it to switch from RAW to JPG file output or it I experienced some odd camera glitch.  Fortunately the only important images from that set were of the post game plaque presentation and the captured parameters were fine so I didn't need the additional editing capabilities of RAW files but until I figure out how this happened it will be one more thing to worry about at future events.  The 1DX is running firmware ver 2.1 which is the last update from Canon. 

And on EDIT I am confident it was operator error.  File type can be chosen with one button push plus a turn of the dial via the small rear LCD with the important button residing just below the review button.  I rarely check the images during a game but I remember doing so about this time as the sun suddenly popped through and was creating some ugly back lighting conditions.  Note to self:  Don't do something stupid like this again or you may not be so lucky in capturing images that are acceptable.

Rodger

I remember making the same error.  It's a shock to get home and realize that all those great RAWS you were expecting are nowhere to be found. Smiley Sad

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@mangurian,

Latest version?  A number is more meaningful than "latest" which might not be the most recent when someone reads your post.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements