cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP for phones

mangurian
Enthusiast

On The New Screensavers podcast, they said that Canon is putting out DPP for IOS and Android.

Anybody seen it yet ?  If not, does anyone know when it will be out ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Peter
Authority
Authority

Digital Photo Professional Express (for iOS and Android) will be released in October.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Peter
Authority
Authority

Digital Photo Professional Express (for iOS and Android) will be released in October.

@Peter wrote:

It is called “DPP Express”?  In other words, it will not be a full blown app, comparable to that which runs on PCs.  I would not expect RAW file support, or even support for lens correction.  

I wonder where the image files are supposed to be stored.  Adobe has PS and LR apps, but the files are saved in the Adobe Cloud.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Peter wrote:

It is called “DPP Express”?  In other words, it will not be a full blown app, comparable to that which runs on PCs.  I would not expect RAW file support, or even support for lens correction.  

I wonder where the image files are supposed to be stored.  Adobe has PS and LR apps, but the files are saved in the Adobe Cloud.

I suppose it will be like Snapseed. I use Snapseed for my Samsung Tab S3 but I need to convert the CR2 to DNG first. Fast but no NR and the quality of the exported files are not really there yet. Some lens correction features are not included.

https://cweb.canon.jp/eos/software/dpp-express.html

Hmm, perhaps I was wrong about Android. Seems just to be iOS when I read the google translated link.

@Peter wrote:

Fixing the performance problems and user interface ambiguities in the computer version would have been a more sensible expenditure of Canon's resources. In my opinion.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I agree.  Is anyone familiar with proprietary SW from other camera makers ?  Is Nikon's as bad a performer as Canon's?

I love what DPP does.  I just hate to wait all day for it to do it.

I don't know specifics, but yes, everyone complains about the oem raw software, especially SilkyPix. That is why there is a big market for Adobe and Apple.

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Peter wrote:

Fixing the performance problems and user interface ambiguities in the computer version would have been a more sensible expenditure of Canon's resources. In my opinion.

I think they have introduced a new version with the EOS R.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I agree Bob that putting resources into the phone version while the primary program needs help is a poor choice.

I could see maybe doing some very minor stuff on my iPad but I can't imagine trying to do anything significant on a phone.  Some sort of phone software would be a better match for Canon's power shot series as a transition since phones will finish off the lower end camera market.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

I could see maybe doing some very minor stuff on my iPad but I can't imagine trying to do anything significant on a phone.

I stayed in Japan for a month (got there same day as the biggest typhon since 1993 and the night after the biggest earthquake ever registerd in Hokkaido) and only brought my Samsung Tab S3. It felt good to only bring my tablet instead of my heavier laptop.

As I wrote I used Snapseed, but I missed a lot of features that I normally use with darktable and I missed a lot of power from my Threadripper computer at home. For uploading on a webpage it works, but this week back home I will reprocess the pictures again and reupload them.

In the picture below you can see someting green in the highlight of the left building. Also check the power lines in the picture below. (9km from where I stayed in Japan)

jordbävning-sapporo-IMG_4221-2000x1200.jpeg

kiyota-ku-IMG_4412.jpeg

Announcements