cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP erased my ratings

GinaZagt01
Apprentice

This morning, I spent well over an hour looking through over 1700 photos, giving them a "reject" or a star/number rating, then I closed the program.  I went back later to begin editing them and all of my reject/rating symbols were gone! Is this normal? Does DPP not save the ratings? I'm hoping someone can tell me how to get them back!!!  Thanks for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Gina,

I am using Windows so maybe DPP behaves a little differently on a Mac but after rating (or doing anything else) DPP will normally ask if you want to save edits when either exiting the program or switching to another folder of images.  But if the program doesn't exit normally then these changes will be lost.

I ran into an issue yesterday where DPP 4.9.2 crashed multiple times when trying to run auto gamma correction on two different images.  When that happened, prior edits including the recipe I posted to the folder weren't saved.  For the most part DPP 4.9.2 seems to be pretty stable but after the experience yesterday I am not going to be using the auto gamma correction without first saving all previous edits.  Fortunately it wasn't a huge collection of images and I ran JPG conversions as I worked through the images so all of the prior time wasn't lost when DPP crashed.

Some versions of Windows have created issues when the PC goes into sleep or hibernation mode due to inactivity and when it wakes up some running programs may no longer be open.  That could be one possibility for the lost ratings if you are running a PC.  My workstation running Win Pro has never exhibited this behavior but my I7 based laptop running Win 64 home edition sometimes wakes up with programs that were on the taskbar no longer open.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Tim
Authority

Hello GinaZagt01, 

It would be unusual that DPP did not save the ratings.  Have you been able to reboot your computer since this occurs? 

If the issue persists, we recommend uninstalling the application and reinstalling again.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for your response, Tim. 

I actually went back through all the pictures and rated them over as I needed to begin editing.  From your response, I am assuming that they are normally automatically saved and that I do not normally have to do anything to save them myself. If there is something I must do, please let me know.  Otherwise I will assume this was just an unfortuanate glitch.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

Gina,

I am using Windows so maybe DPP behaves a little differently on a Mac but after rating (or doing anything else) DPP will normally ask if you want to save edits when either exiting the program or switching to another folder of images.  But if the program doesn't exit normally then these changes will be lost.

I ran into an issue yesterday where DPP 4.9.2 crashed multiple times when trying to run auto gamma correction on two different images.  When that happened, prior edits including the recipe I posted to the folder weren't saved.  For the most part DPP 4.9.2 seems to be pretty stable but after the experience yesterday I am not going to be using the auto gamma correction without first saving all previous edits.  Fortunately it wasn't a huge collection of images and I ran JPG conversions as I worked through the images so all of the prior time wasn't lost when DPP crashed.

Some versions of Windows have created issues when the PC goes into sleep or hibernation mode due to inactivity and when it wakes up some running programs may no longer be open.  That could be one possibility for the lost ratings if you are running a PC.  My workstation running Win Pro has never exhibited this behavior but my I7 based laptop running Win 64 home edition sometimes wakes up with programs that were on the taskbar no longer open.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thank you, Rodger, for your input.  I do use Windows, and have been using an older version of DPP for several years.  I recently bought a new camera so just started using the latest version.  I usually agree to "save" but I suppose it is possible that something happened that I clicked wrong. It is also helpful to know that it may not be saved if it goes into sleep mode.  I don't think that is what happened, but it is good to know for future.  While it may remain a mystery as to exactly what happened, I am glad to know that it should be saved in the future and will definitely be aware of the things you pointed out.  

Thank you for your help!

Announcements