cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP Slow @ processing

TadMeddaugh
Apprentice

Hello I've been using DPP forever, but since I got the EOS R making corrections and processing takes forever...? Looking for help with this. I'm looking at getting the R5 or R6 next . Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Ray-uk
Whiz

More megapixels means larger files and larger raw files means longer processing times.

I know,But!

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

The later cameras put a lot more processing load on the system.  My 1DX II and 1DX III have the same resolution but the processing load is much heavier with the 1DX III which is probably why Canon also makes NR processing for the 1DX III and some other models available through their cloud.  I have tried the cloud and I can't see any quality differences between the DPP only and cloud based processing and the results are just as fast on the workstation I am running to just process it locally.

DPP still is not taking any real advantage of the NVIDIA CUDA cores but it will take advantage of fast processors which it really needs particularly with the newer cameras.  I am using it on a HP Z840 workstation with twin Intel Xeon 6 core 3.6 Ghz. CPUs and although processing is pretty speedy the difference between files from my 1DX III and earlier 1DX II, 1DX, and 5DS R cameras is very noticeable.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

TadMeddaugh
Apprentice
The difference between files... meaning what?

Tad,

I am not really sure what has changed but the overhead for the 1DX III and at least some of the R series is much greater than the 1DX II and the 5D series.  Files from my 1DX III are typically 23-28 MB, maybe averaging a megabyte larger than the average 1DX II files but processing time is often 2 to three times as long.  So Canon is doing something in the newer cameras that requires DPP to expend a lot more processing overhead on the RAW files.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I believe you are right. Wish I could get the answer from Canon. 😞
Announcements