cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP Noise Reduction via the cloud

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

DPP now offers additional NR processing via Canon's Cloud with the 1DX III (and possibly other models).  I shot an indoor 3V3 tournament last night @ ISO 6400 and thought I would give it a try.  I set it up in DPP following Canon instructions and logged in which all went normally but when using the Alt C command on the RAW image to invoke cloud processing, I receive an error message "cannot access file" from the cloud. 

Has anyone else tried this yet before I dig into this issue?  It could be an issue with my computer setup because I am using a HP Z820 workstation (Win 10 Pro) which by default has high security level settings which might be the issue but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone else has already run into this and resolved the problem.

The 1DX III handled the low light level well at the indoor soccer facility.  My high school sophomore daughter wanted to continue improving her soccer skills before the season starts in a couple of weeks so she entered a 3V3 adult league tournament and went one on one versus a bunch of former college players several of whom now play in a semi-pro league.  She had a lot of fun, learned some new soccer skills, and scored nine goals during the night impressing the coach of the tournament winning team with her level of play so we both had a fun night 🙂

Rodger

AS0I2614.JPG

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
7 REPLIES 7

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

And I will followup my own post because DPP cloud NR is doing what it should even with the error message.  When you select a file for cloud processing, it puts it into a separate "cloud" folder which shows up in DPP.  The cloud processed file edits just like a RAW file but it has a .CIP instead of .CR3 suffix after cloud processing.  There is one caveat, lens corrections can be applied BEFORE cloud processing but it does not work with CIP files so these corrections must be applied before invoking the cloud processing command. Like other manipulations, cloud processing in no way changes the original RAW file so you can always go back to the base image.

I don't have time for in-depth work with it tonight but sometime tomorrow I will provide images of the same file processed just through DPP and also through the cloud.  I did a quick test with one image and it does look a bit smoother but with the same level of detail after the cloud does its magic.  It is pretty subtle at ISO 6400 and the ISO 6400 file is very clean anyway out of any of the 1DX series and the Mark III in particular.  I will shoot some at 51,200 and 102,400 to see whether the difference between the two NR approaches is more obvious as the ISO increases.  I suspect there are some things that are much better done via Canon's cloud NR process and hopefully they will provide more detail in the future to help us decide not only what images to work with through the cloud but also whether we might want to do some things differently to take better advantage of the cloud NR and perhaps provide more leeway in our choice of our exposure triangle.

And if anyone else is using this, are you also getting the file access error message?  Just curious if it is something to do with my setup.  At this point I am just ignoring the error since the cloud is creating the proper .CIP images and downloading them to the proper folder.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I would love to try it but until Canon expands it to include other models there's no chance.

Be very interested to see a before and after comparison though.

Ray,

I spent a little time this morning running two images through regular and then cloud processed and created equal pixel size JPG crops from both (to fit forum requirements).  Although there might be a difference between what DPP provides versus the cloud it is so subtle that I just can't see it  However, I think we need to wait until Canon provides some real guidance on the use of this feature in order to best utilize it. 

All images were shot with a Canon 1DX III in manual mode with an EF 200 F2 lens at F3.2.  The ISO 204,800 image was overexposed by a little over a stop because I should have closed the aperture down further but these were from the first hour after I unboxed the camera so I was doing some really quick test shots, exposure was adjusted in DPP.  Both images had lens correction data applied prior to noise processing.  Standard picture style was used with auto ambiance white balance.  I chose two higher ISO shots to see what difference the cloud makes at that ISO setting, at some point I will try it with lower ISO.

I am going to wait until Canon provides some sort of guidance on what their cloud based NR does best before spending more time with the cloud. It is also possible that the primary purpose of cloud based NR will be to take the processing load off the owner's computer because NR is likely very slow on lower end setups and this will get worse when using higher resolution sensors and the resulting larger files.  I am also a little concerned that Canon will frequently tweak their cloud based NR algorithms and if so that won't be great for work flow as we continually adjust to working with the results.  Basically there just isn't enough information from Canon at this point about what it can/will do and I will stick with just using the system built into DPP with my fast workstation. 

Attachments are as follows:  51,200 with DPP only and then with Cloud based NR, the same sequence but at 204,800 ISO.  Both master images cropped from full sensor size for a file size acceptable to this forum when saved as a JPG quality setting 9 file.

I will try to work with this more in the near future but right now my time is focused on getting two new freshman keepers ready for a high school soccer season that starts in 10 days.  After losing a great varsity keep to a transfer and another varsity keep who doesn't want to play the position, I figure the new head coach has enough to deal with so I volunteered to get the new girls up to speed but it is going to take a little time and a lot of mental energy so photography is taking a back seat. 

Rodger

51200.JPG

Cloud_51200.JPG

204800.JPG

Cloud_204800.JPG

Thankyou for the comparisons, interesting results. As you say it is difficult to see any difference between DPP and the cloud, spped of operation may be the only advantage.

It will be worth watching to see what, if anything, develops from this system over time.

wq9nsc, do you have some noisy raw files to share? For example between ISO 6400-12800. I am playing around with a neural network for noise reduction and I would like to try Canon's noise reduction in the cloud, that only works with 1D X III.

Sample pictures from the neural network at 100% crop below at ISO 12800 from my 6D. No NR vs NR from the network. Almost seems like ISO 100 at the last picture but the colour has changed a bit.

_MG_8747_01-no-NR.jpg

_MG_8747_01-NR-neural-network.jpg

Peter,

It looks like the processing you did with that image worked very well.

I am tied up on a couple of projects but I will upload some noisy 1DX III RAW files to dropbox this weekend and I will send you the link.

Rodger

Thanks!

Announcements