cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4

monkey44
Contributor

I just upgraded 5DM3 to a 5DM4 ... but when I installed DPP 4 it seems unwilling to process jpeg.  IT shoots RAW and JPEG fine, and I get both in file at download.  I still have DDP 3 installed tho altho I seems unable to open RAW from 5DM4

Sometimes, I find it productive to work RAW in DPP into my own jpeg, and compare w/OOC joeg, or then process jpeg slightly again for certain projects.  Seems like now I must move the jpeg files to another program, either DPP3 or Photoshop.  IF this true, then DDP has much less value - and we may as well just download into PS ... 

Haven't looked yet to see if PSE12 even opens 5DM4 Raw images???  Will check that tonight...hope I don't have to upgrade PS as well.  😞 

Looks like DPP 4 only processes RAW ???  Is that accurate. 

IF so, does anyone have a theory why Canon would cease allowing at least minimal processing as it does in DPP 3 ???

It certainly easier to fast-forward jpeg to select and file keepers, than to open RAW every time you view a new shoot.  Maybe I'll have to figure out a new Keeper Viewing method after all these years.  Mostly surprised here ...

17 REPLIES 17

douwe
Apprentice
DPP4 has always been crashing when doing file save on my Win10 computer (I7, 16GB). New versions never make a difference. Impossible to use.

Me too, same PC, but just got this 5DM4 yesterday, and discovering the issues with files, opening, viewing, etc. when I loaded DPP4, and opened files. PITA for me, as I'm not very tech-smart, so muddle thru until I figure out a way to view keepers, save, then process what I want ... BLAH !!!

On my laptop DPP4 used to function OK. But now is stopped being of use. If you try to save a file, be it jpeg or CR2, is says "can not access file". Doing a "save as" with a new file name I get "file not found". With this I am at the end of using DPP4, I might have to switch to Sony camera's. Canon should withdraw this non working software.

I switched from version 4.9 to version 4.11.02, no difference. Batch conversion does function, but edited raw can not be saved.

Played around with it last night for awhile - seems to work fine now.  Was looking around and punching the wrong buttons until I figured it out ... it's a little different.

Laptop and PC is Win10 Pro ... i7 - 16GB and running on SSD ...   It processes both 5DM3 and 5DM4 RAW files, and will save the processed files as jpeg or RAW.   Not sure if Win10 Pro rather than Home / Student version makes a difference as both have the Pro version.  Anyone have both, can check it out?? 

Laptop:  I had to load it twice - first time, would not work properly, so delete and reload worked.  Will load it on my desktop today and see how it functions.

PSE15 will not open 5DM4 Raw files.  So, will look around for an upgrade or a patch.  Not sure if one exists - maybe on Canon site or Adobe site.  I don't want to "rent" a PS program forever, will find a patch or figure out a work-around.  Not very tech-smart and generally just play around until I figure out a work-flow method ... 

@monkey44 wrote:

Played around with it last night for awhile - seems to work fine now.  Was looking around and punching the wrong buttons until I figured it out ... it's a little different.

Laptop and PC is Win10 Pro ... i7 - 16GB and running on SSD ...   It processes both 5DM3 and 5DM4 RAW files, and will save the processed files as jpeg or RAW.   Not sure if Win10 Pro rather than Home / Student version makes a difference as both have the Pro version.  Anyone have both, can check it out?? 

Laptop:  I had to load it twice - first time, would not work properly, so delete and reload worked.  Will load it on my desktop today and see how it functions.

PSE15 will not open 5DM4 Raw files.  So, will look around for an upgrade or a patch.  Not sure if one exists - maybe on Canon site or Adobe site.  I don't want to "rent" a PS program forever, will find a patch or figure out a work-around.  Not very tech-smart and generally just play around until I figure out a work-flow method ... 

DPP does not "save processed files" as either JPEG or RAW.  The "Save" command saves yout edits and changes that you have made to a an photo.  Using "Save As" creates a new copy of the original photo file, including all of the current edits.  

The "Convert and Save" and "Batch Process" commands are used to process the edits you have made to create new output files.  Creating and output file is a conversion process. Output file types are either JPG of TIF.  RAW file format is not an option.

BTW, PS Elements is total waste of money, ever since Adobe began their subscription model.  The ACR utility that is inlcuded has been crippled.  It will no longer perform lens correction, and a number of other functions.  If you want to open the files in PSE, maybe you could try to open the images in Bridge, and use Bridge to create a PSD file.  PSE can open PSD files.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

DPP does not "save processed files" as either JPEG or RAW.  The "Save" command saves yout edits and changes that you have made to a an photo.  Using "Save As" creates a new copy of the original photo file, including all of the current edits.  

Right, should have said, "SAVE AS" or "Convert and save" 

As in the past, I'll continue processing keepers in RAW, convert and save as jpg ... then the final product in PSE as some projects require inserts, web stuff, etc.  DDP4 puzzles me a bit - well so did DPP3 at first - but as usual playing around with it, instead of just reading about it, makes a huge difference in learning.  I believe we all learn more via "doing" as we perfect our workflow, and eventually develop a method that may be modified a bit for each individual.  We all have different needs depending on the end product - Wedding Album, Sports Action, Landscape Scenic - all require adjustment of course, and then there's the ART side of photography that tosses everything out the window and creates unique images -  🙂  🙂  🙂  

@monkey44 wrote:

Right, should have said, "SAVE AS" or "Convert and save" 

As in the past, I'll continue processing keepers in RAW, convert and save as jpg ... then the final product in PSE as some projects require inserts, web stuff, etc.  DDP4 puzzles me a bit - well so did DPP3 at first - but as usual playing around with it, instead of just reading about it, makes a huge difference in learning.  I believe we all learn more via "doing" as we perfect our workflow, and eventually develop a method that may be modified a bit for each individual.  We all have different needs depending on the end product - Wedding Album, Sports Action, Landscape Scenic - all require adjustment of course, and then there's the ART side of photography that tosses everything out the window and creates unique images -  🙂  🙂  🙂  

DPP does not save processed files, not at all.  It still does not sound like you have fully wrapped your head around this subtle distinction.  

DPP will save your edits to an image file in a manner that allows them to be "undone" at a later date.  If you use another program to open your the file you edited in DPP, the other program will not see the edits you made in DPP.

Or, DPP can create an output file based upon your edits, in which case the edit history is not included in the original file.  You cannot go into the output file and "undo" the original edits.  The output process performs a non-destructive conversion on the original file with your edits.

@douwe wrote:

On my laptop DPP4 used to function OK. But now is stopped being of use. If you try to save a file, be it jpeg or CR2, is says "can not access file". Doing a "save as" with a new file name I get "file not found". With this I am at the end of using DPP4, I might have to switch to Sony camera's. Canon should withdraw this non working software.

Where are you saving files?  Are trying to save to a network drive?  Obviously, something has changed to cause these errors.  

Your threat is laughable.  We are all users here, just like you.  If you want a Sony camera, then go for it.  I am not going to try to change your mind.  With most of their cameras, Sony does not include either software or an external battery charger.  The only way to charge the battery is in the camera, which severely limits what you can do.

Announcements