cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4

monkey44
Contributor

I just upgraded 5DM3 to a 5DM4 ... but when I installed DPP 4 it seems unwilling to process jpeg.  IT shoots RAW and JPEG fine, and I get both in file at download.  I still have DDP 3 installed tho altho I seems unable to open RAW from 5DM4

Sometimes, I find it productive to work RAW in DPP into my own jpeg, and compare w/OOC joeg, or then process jpeg slightly again for certain projects.  Seems like now I must move the jpeg files to another program, either DPP3 or Photoshop.  IF this true, then DDP has much less value - and we may as well just download into PS ... 

Haven't looked yet to see if PSE12 even opens 5DM4 Raw images???  Will check that tonight...hope I don't have to upgrade PS as well.  😞 

Looks like DPP 4 only processes RAW ???  Is that accurate. 

IF so, does anyone have a theory why Canon would cease allowing at least minimal processing as it does in DPP 3 ???

It certainly easier to fast-forward jpeg to select and file keepers, than to open RAW every time you view a new shoot.  Maybe I'll have to figure out a new Keeper Viewing method after all these years.  Mostly surprised here ...

17 REPLIES 17

I try to save the edited image on the local disk. On the desktop computer this causes a crash of DPP4, on the laptop it says can not access file. There is nothing laughable about this. I am desperate to edit my images as I did for years with DPP3 (does not support my new camera).

But it seems that within Canon no one cares about user experience with the software. I earlier contacted local Canon, the only thing they contributed was: It works here.

@douwe wrote:

I try to save the edited image on the local disk. On the desktop computer this causes a crash of DPP4, on the laptop it says can not access file. There is nothing laughable about this. I am desperate to edit my images as I did for years with DPP3 (does not support my new camera).

But it seems that within Canon no one cares about user experience with the software. I earlier contacted local Canon, the only thing they contributed was: It works here.

I suggest that you start your own thread, instead of hijacking someone else's thread.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle

Yes, I understand we cannot open and edit or unedit changes we make in DPP with other programs.

What we create in Save As or Convert and Save is a new jpg image that is modified via DPP first, and then becomes a new image.  We cannot undo DPP edits in any other programs, but we can use PSE or other programs to again modify the modified jpg image we created in DPP and save the jpeg as a new image. That's my point, I think.  

Example, if we Crop and add Light to a DSLR image (14BIF.Cr2) and convert or save as M14BIF.jpeg, it becomes a brand new jpeg image but contains the DPP edits we cannot alter.  We can then open it in PSE15 as a jpeg, modify it further, but cannot reverse the DPP modifications of Crop and Add Light.

Altho, I always use Convert and Save, not Save as.  Not sure if that matters. Maybe Convert saves DPP changes, and Save As only saves with new PSE changes applied to the image you're working on at that moment - like a Version 01, or 02 change?? Without looking at it now, DPP is the only program that converts Cr2 images anyway, right? ... unless some other programs can do it with apps or patches - maybe the full PS can ??  

Is that accurate???   What am I missing? Thanks  🙂   M44 

@monkey44 wrote:

Waddizzle

Yes, I understand we cannot open and edit or unedit changes we make in DPP with other programs.

What we create in Save As or Convert and Save is a new jpg image that is modified via DPP first, and then becomes a new image.  We cannot undo DPP edits in any other programs, but we can use PSE or other programs to again modify the modified jpg image we created in DPP and save the jpeg as a new image. That's my point, I think.  

Example, if we Crop and add Light to a DSLR image (14BIF.Cr2) and convert or save as M14BIF.jpeg, it becomes a brand new jpeg image but contains the DPP edits we cannot alter.  We can then open it in PSE15 as a jpeg, modify it further, but cannot reverse the DPP modifications of Crop and Add Light.

Altho, I always use Convert and Save, not Save as.  Not sure if that matters. Maybe Convert saves DPP changes, and Save As only saves with new PSE changes applied to the image you're working on at that moment - like a Version 01, or 02 change?? Without looking at it now, DPP is the only program that converts Cr2 images anyway, right? ... unless some other programs can do it with apps or patches - maybe the full PS can ??  

Is that accurate???   What am I missing? Thanks  🙂   M44 

No, "Save As" and "Convert and Save" are not one and the same.  They are not exactly interchangeable.

The "Save As" command only allows you to save as the original file type.  It allows you to make a copy of a source file.  That is all that i does.  It copies the original file, including any edits that you have made up to that point.  The "Save As" command saves a JPG as a JPG, and CR2 file as a CR2 file.  Now you can create two versions of the same image:i.e. one in color and one in black and white.

The "Convert and Save" command works on just a single file.  It performs two separate functions at once.  It saves your current edits to your current file.  Next, DPP generates an output file, as either a JPG or a TIF.

When I use DPP I almost never use "Convert and Save".  It only processes a single file, and I want to process several at once..  I almost always use "Batch Process" to create output files from multiple source files.  Also, "Batch Process" output options are little more flexible than "Convert and Save".

Be aware that DPP will not overwrite an existing JPG file when you are generating output files using "Batch Process".  It will simply stop processing the source file, and not give you any warning or message indicating why it stopped.

Ray-uk
Whiz

@monkey44 wrote:

Looks like DPP 4 only processes RAW ???  Is that accurate. 

DPP4 does process JPG files. The first tab in tools doesn't work because it only relates to RAW but go to the curves tab in the tools section and you will see brightness and contrast controls and curves which work with JPG.

Thanks - but not all controls work in jpeg, such as in the DPP3 program, right.  Will make that work somehow.

Bummer, because I shoot with a 5DM3 as backup now. So have two separate file types for any shoot ...

Will have to figure out a different keeper selection method, and processing, I guess. Which is already time-consuming ...

@monkey44 wrote:

Thanks - but not all controls work in jpeg, such as in the DPP3 program, right.  Will make that work somehow.

Bummer, because I shoot with a 5DM3 as backup now. So have two separate file types for any shoot ...

Will have to figure out a different keeper selection method, and processing, I guess. Which is already time-consuming ...

The controls available for JPEG files in DPP3 are available in DPP4.  Some controls cannot be applied to JPEGs

Yes, I found it - with those hints from above. No problem now - thanks for advise guys ...

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements