cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4, is there way to assign custom keyboard hot keys?

AlexNc
Contributor

Hi all,

Anybody knows, is there way to override default keyboard hot keys for DPP?

It makes me crazy that Shift + Home / Shift + End combinations are assigned to select first / last photo, instead of select text in the currently focused textbox (which is common behavior for most of Windows programs). My habbit to use this hotkeys leads to unintentional switching from the current image to the first or to the last, which is really anoying....

Another standard combination Ctrl+A also does not work for selection....

13 REPLIES 13

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

No way to remap commnds I am aware of.

What focused text box are you referring to?  Info?

CTRL A.png 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hello,

Thank you very much for reply.

To clarify, for example I have a focus on the "Shadow" textbox during photo editing (see screenshot 1).

screenshot1.jpg

Expected behavour: SHIFT + HOME (or CTRL + A) combination selects entire value in the text box (like screenshot 2)

screenshot2.jpg

It is standard behavior for windows applications (SHIFT + HOME selects text from the current cursor's position up to the first character, SHIFT + END selects text from the current cursor's position up to the last character, CTRL + A selects entire text in the currently focused control)

However actual behavior in DPP:

- SHIFT + HOME switches me to the first image (see screenshot 3)

- SHIFT + END switches me to the last image

- CTRL + A nothing happens at all.

screenshot3.jpg

I have not used DPP in quite a while.  But, I recall that if I simply clicked on a box like that one, it would automatically select and highlight all of the text within the box.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you, yes, quick double click is working for me.

Also I have found that CTRL+SHIFT+END also is working.

Actually, for me the primary issue even not that SHIFT+END / SHIFT + HOME does not select the value, but that these combinations switch me from the current image to the first or to the last.

I have engrained habbit to use these combinations to select text once it is standard for all other applications. So, time to time I just press it automatically, and it brings me out from the current image. If there are many images in the folder, it is very annoing to scroll back and search again the image that I was editing.

Just unassign these two combibatiosn from everething at all could be solution for me, but as I have released from the first answer it is just impossible in DPP.

If sombody from Canon application development team reading this thread, guys, please fix it. It is very-very common approach that key combinations are targeting to currently selected control first, and only when not applicable to the current control, handled as a command for main application window.

@AlexNc wrote:

Thank you, yes, quick double click is working for me.

- - - - - - 

If sombody from Canon application development team reading this thread, guys, please fix it. It is very-very common approach that key combinations are targeting to currently selected control first, and only when not applicable to the current control, handled as a command for main application window.

I am failing to fully understand your issue.  This is a photo editing application, not a text editor. These screen elements are not textbox controls, either.  They are "up/down" controls.  They are used to alter data, not to edit text.

When you select one of the controls, all of the "text" is automatically pre-selected.  After you type your updated value, you can press the [TAB] key to move to the next control, which will cause the "text" within the control to be automatically sslected once it acquires focus.

If you type {SHIFT-TAB], then you can move back to the previous control in the predetermined "tab order" for the Windows From, although Forms are now obsolete. 

I suggest that you adjust your work habits to the program, instead of relying on the expectation that software developers will alter the behavior to your liking, thus upsetting rest of the planet's work flow.

AlexNc
Contributor

@Waddizzle

Thank you for your suggestions, kindly note that scenario you have described it is exactly that I use for quick editing. However note, that when I switching to next control using Tab or to previous control using Shift +Tab it actually not selects the entire value (as you have described), just placed cursor at the end of the value. So my next intention to use keyboard to quick selection the value to quickly override it.

Also I do not think that it is something related to text editing. Another example is internet browser, when you press let's say Ctrl A in the address box, it selects the address, if you press it on the content, it selects entire content.

@AlexNc wrote:

@Waddizzle

Thank you for your suggestions, kindly note that scenario you have described it is exactly that I use for quick editing. However note, that when I switching to next control using Tab or to previous control using Shift +Tab it actually not selects the entire value (as you have described), just placed cursor at the end of the value. So my next intention to use keyboard to quick selection the value to quickly override it.

Also I do not think that it is something related to text editing. Another example is internet browser, when you press let's say Ctrl A in the address box, it selects the address, if you press it on the content, it selects entire content.

Pressing either [TAB] or [SHIFT-TAB] will move focus from one control to the next using a predetermined order.  Whenever a control acquires focus, all of the data within the control is "selected" for editing.  You have described that it works as I have described, and that it does not work as I have described at the same time.

The  address box on a web browser is usually a "textbox" control, which is designed for text data entry.  The "up/down" controls used by the DPP are not designed for text data entry,  They are used to alter data values.  End of discussion.

You do not fully understand how Windows works.  

9B2F3B3A-160E-4D57-8B7A-6A0B93D067D0.jpeg

This is very brief overview of an up/down control.  Notice that the arrows are integrated with the displayed data.

FF3BD36F-BC94-4EED-A8B7-03042A2119EA.jpeg

AlexNc
Contributor

@Waddizzle kindly see the screenshot 1 above. I was in the contrast control, have pressed tab, got focus on the shadow control. Value in the shadow control was not selected.

WhenI have said "exact scenario" I mean that I use Tab key for navigation Contrast -> Shadow -> Highlights -> Color Tone -> ... and really expecting that the value in the "next" focused control will be selected, exactly as you have said:

"which will cause the "text" within the control to be automatically sslected once it acquires focus."

But actually value is not selected, control got focus, text cursor placed in the control at the end of the value. Now I can use backspace to delete value digit by digit, and only then enter new value, instead just enter new value over "automatically selected text".

Announcements