cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4 editing

DavidOlson
Contributor

I have been using DPP4 and saved a picture I had edited in the program as a TIF file.

I then decided to go back in and edit the same save picture further in the same program but am unable to do so. Is this not possible or what am I missing? It brings up the picture but I can't do any editing. I took the picture with a Canon 6D Mark II.

Thanks for any help.

7 REPLIES 7

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

David,

Bring up your original RAW file which will have your most recent edits (if you exited DPP normally and allowed it to save).  DPP is primarily a RAW file editor and provides tremendous ability to make changes with those files while preserving the original file intact with your edits to it saved as history but not as a change to the underlying file.

Once you convert to a TIF, the DPP RAW tools won't work with the converted file which is why you always want to use the RAW file.  I always create a subdirectory to store converted files under the RAW file directory to keep things organized and when I do additional edits I open the RAW file directory and not the sub.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

While the following doesn't involve DPP, here's what I do with Adobe products to allow the maximum flexibility in editing.

I shoot in RAW and import into Lightroom.  For the vast majority of images, I just use Lightroom to do adjustments.  This is also non-destructive, since as with DPP, the edits are not made to the original file.  They are saved to separate "instructions".

But for cases where I want to take edits further, I use the Edit In | Open as Smart Object in Photoshop command from within Lightroom.   This gives you a primary layer in the Photoshop document such that you can make RAW adjustments to it at any time.  And, in a non-destructive manner.

Any other layers I add to the document, I try to also always do non-destructively as well.  You can save and close the file within Photoshop at any time.  Lightroom is updated with another copy of the image that now represents the Photoshop version.  Double-clicking on that will re-open in Photoshop for future edits to that file.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

"While the following doesn't involve DPP, here's what I do with Adobe products..."

I do exactly the same. Smiley Happy  And you expose one of the main reasons to not use DPP4.  However, keep in mind most edits done in PS are destructive.  Always make use of layers and masks for anything you can.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@rs-eos wrote:

While the following doesn't involve DPP, here's what I do with Adobe products to allow the maximum flexibility in editing.

I shoot in RAW and import into Lightroom.  For the vast majority of images, I just use Lightroom to do adjustments.  This is also non-destructive, since as with DPP, the edits are not made to the original file.  They are saved to separate "instructions".

But for cases where I want to take edits further, I use the Edit In | Open as Smart Object in Photoshop command from within Lightroom.   This gives you a primary layer in the Photoshop document such that you can make RAW adjustments to it at any time.  And, in a non-destructive manner.

Any other layers I add to the document, I try to also always do non-destructively as well.  You can save and close the file within Photoshop at any time.  Lightroom is updated with another copy of the image that now represents the Photoshop version.  Double-clicking on that will re-open in Photoshop for future edits to that file.

One minor quibble: DPP's edits are non-destructive, but they are stored in the original file. This is a lot more convenient than the way Lightroom does it, because you don't have to deal with a separate "instructions" file.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"This is a lot more convenient than the way Lightroom does it, because you don't have to deal with a separate "instructions" file."

This is true somewhat but I don't know how inconvenient it is.  LR should be more considered a data management and disk management program.  If you use LR for all your photographic work, all is well and there is no notice of the separate tag file. It is the way Adobe instructs you to use their software.

I keep coming back to the fact more pro shops and photographers in general use LR/PS platform than any and all the others combined, including DPP4.

In PS there is no tag file. You save your work as a PSD file and all is included in that file. All the edits, layers masks, etc are there for future edits. Done correctly totally non-destructive.  In ACR, if you make a change to the original Raw file it does save a tag file associated to it. The same way LR does.  If you choose to go the ACR editing route, you should make use of Bridge.  It works exactly the same way as LR, only more aimed toward PS.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"This is a lot more convenient than the way Lightroom does it, because you don't have to deal with a separate "instructions" file."

This is true somewhat but I don't know how inconvenient it is.  LR should be more considered a data management and disk management program.  If you use LR for all your photographic work, all is well and there is no notice of the separate tag file. It is the way Adobe instructs you to use their software.

I keep coming back to the fact more pro shops and photographers in general use LR/PS platform than any and all the others combined, including DPP4.

In PS there is no tag file. You save your work as a PSD file and all is included in that file. All the edits, layers masks, etc are there for future edits. Done correctly totally non-destructive.  In ACR, if you make a change to the original Raw file it does save a tag file associated to it. The same way LR does.  If you choose to go the ACR editing route, you should make use of Bridge.  It works exactly the same way as LR, only more aimed toward PS.

Yeah, I haven't used Lightroom, but my impression is that it's as much a cataloguing system as it is a photo editor. That probably goes a long way to explain why it's so popular with pros, who often have to deal with very large numbers of image files. Like with Photoshop itself, if you happen to need its specialized capabilities, there are few, if any, plausible alternatives. But if you don't need those capabilities, you're likely (IMO) to find DPP to be a more straightforward (and less expensive) way of meeting your needs. But the nice thing about it is that nobody has to agree with me. The other products are out there if you want them.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"... DPP to be a more straightforward (and less expensive) way of meeting your needs."

I am on board with less expensive but not with "straight forward".  If a program can't do what you want it isn't straight forward. PS/LR is as easy or as involved as you want them.

"...it's so popular with pros, who often have to deal with very large numbers of image files."

Right you are. LR although it can do a single photo isn't really aimed toward single files. It is designed to handle huge amounts of photos.  If a person, again not with standing the cost, I give you that, wants single file editing, PS and Bridge with and the built in ACR is best. Anything that can be done can be done with PS/Bridge.

EB
Announcements