cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4 Trimming / Crop Tool Question

rossco_j
Apprentice

When using DPP 4 Trimming / Crop tool I can't paste changes to multiple images. When using the older DPP 3 version, there was an "apply all" button. This was a very useful feature. I hope it hasn't been deleted in the newer version of software.

DPP4.jpg

Rossco
EOS 7D + 350D + Kit Lenses + EF 100-400 L IS + 24-105 L IS + Manfrotto 682 Monopod
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I don't have time this minute to check it, so don't take this as gospel until you've tried it. But I believe that in V4, unlike its predecessors, cropping is included in the image's recipe. So I think you can make your changes to an image, save them to a recipe file, and then apply that recipe file to as many other images as you like. (Of course you could always do that. The question is whether cropping gets included in the recipe file, and I think that in V4 it does.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

In the 4.1 version PDF manual it states:

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

I don't have time this minute to check it, so don't take this as gospel until you've tried it. But I believe that in V4, unlike its predecessors, cropping is included in the image's recipe. So I think you can make your changes to an image, save them to a recipe file, and then apply that recipe file to as many other images as you like. (Of course you could always do that. The question is whether cropping gets included in the recipe file, and I think that in V4 it does.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

In the 4.1 version PDF manual it states:

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks for your help Gents. I understand the process now.

Rossco
EOS 7D + 350D + Kit Lenses + EF 100-400 L IS + 24-105 L IS + Manfrotto 682 Monopod

Hey guys,

Thanks for the info so far.
Unfortunately the procedure suggested in the manual doesn't work for me. I can only apply the copied cropping settings on single images, which becomes a bit tedious with large image numbers.

My workflow looked like this:

1.  Select all images in the main window (CTRL+A)
  2. Click on "Edit Image"
  3. In the Edit View I can only select one image at a time (tried holding CTRL/SHIFT, left/right click, CTRL+A, but none of them seemed to work). So I select one image
  4. Select the Trimming tool and input my trimming settings.
  5. Click "Copy"
  6. Select each of the remaining images in the Edit view and press SHIFT+ALT+V (or click "Insert). But this needs to be done for every image one by one.

Instead of step 6 I have also tried going back to the main window, selecting all images and going to the Trimming tool. However, I can't apply the trimming tool because the software won't allow the use of the trimming tool in a window that only shows thumbnails (see screenshot below).

Did anybody manage to use the cropping tool for multiple images? I also read in another post that other programs in the background were causing problems with selecting multiple images.

Cheers
Pesto

DPP_Trimming.PNG

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Pesto,

You are not closely following the directions You need to copy the recipe. Get out of Edit View, too.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It does work when you Copy Recipe and Paste Recipe, but that is not how the manual reads. It reads as if they expect you to have the Triming Tool dispalyed.

Annotation 2019-09-03 125133.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

It works, thank you very much!

So my mistake was to click on the Trimming tool in the main window again and wondering why I can't select the "Copy" button (or any buttons of the tool for that matter...).

Now I just right-clicked on the one trimmed image in the main view and clicked "Copy Recipe" (or CTRL+ALT+C), then select all images, right-click again and "Paste Recipe" (or CTRL+SHIFT+V) and it works beautifully.

Thanks again!

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Keep in mind also that when you "Copy Recipe" it will also include any other editing changes (White Balance, Brightness, Saturation, Sharpening, Noise Reduction, etc.) that have been made to the image that you copied the recipe from. Which is handy if you're doing the same batch processing to all your selected images.

@BurnUnit wrote:

Keep in mind also that when you "Copy Recipe" it will also include any other editing changes (White Balance, Brightness, Saturation, Sharpening, Noise Reduction, etc.) that have been made to the image that you copied the recipe from. Which is handy if you're doing the same batch processing to all your selected images.

This can also be  disadvantage if all one wants to copy is the trimming. It would be nice if the software acted as the manual states it should. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements