cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.9.20 & GPU acceleration

biton161
Contributor

Hi,

I've been using DPP 4.8.30 with GPU acceleration, have "Use graphics processor for image processing" selected in Preferences\Image Processing 2.

As of 4.9.20, and in 4.10 as well, I do not have that option  any longer, "Graphics processor setting" is missing entirely.

If I re-install version 4.8.30 the option comes back.

Using Mac OSX 10.12.6 (Sierra).

Barak.

12 REPLIES 12

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Barak,

I noticed the same thing with my Windows 10 workstation and Nvidia card when I upgraded to 4.10.  For me 4.10 is definitely slower than 4.9.2, particularly with noise reduction and now takes around 10 seconds to finish a major change to the noise reduction parameters instead of 5 seconds or less it took previously.  Interestingly while it is taking all of that time system load is extremely low.  I have two Xeon 8 core processors in a HP Z820 workstation and CPU loading peaks at 8% while several other programs are also running (background CPU utilzation with DPP doing nothing stays at 1% however unlike 4.9.2 it does appear to be using both CPUs instead of just one but the loading is extremely light.

For curiosity I tried operation with the use of GPU for preview checked and unchecked and it doesn't seem to make any difference in the areas where I am seeing the time lag.  It is a bit annoying to upgrade to a slowdown.  And it still has the same weird glitch I noticed in 4.9.2.  Once you paste a recipe to all of the RAW files in a newly created folder, no mater which RAW file you select to open for edit it will always open the last one in the file.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Ray-uk
Whiz

@biton161 wrote:

Hi,

I've been using DPP 4.8.30 with GPU acceleration, have "Use graphics processor for image processing" selected in Preferences\Image Processing 2.

As of 4.9.20, and in 4.10 as well, I do not have that option  any longer, "Graphics processor setting" is missing entirely.

I am using DPP 4.10.0.1 and I still have the Graphics processing selection box in Preferences\Image Processing 2 the same as it was with previous versions.

Ray,

Which graphics card are you using now?

Now that the bitcoin driven graphics card pricing bubble has ended I am switching from an older Nvidia card to a RX 2060 card which should arrive Tuesday and I will see if the processing option returns.

And on edit, 4.10 has some issues.  I got the out of memory error again this morning while system memory usage was at 6%.  At least it saves existing edits before it exits.  The issue occurs when you try to use the automatic adjustment while the "busy wheel" is still spinning however during this time NO system resource is over 15% utilization and memory stays at the 5 to 6 percent utilization when out of memory occurs.  I will adjust my behavior and let it finish the existing process until Canon fixes this problem.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

Ray,

Which graphics card are you using now?

I am using a Nvidia GeForce GT1030, a pretty cheap card but compatible with DPPs requirements.

Thanks Ray!

I will report back with my RTX 2060 video card experience with DPP 4.10.0.1 after I install it Tuesday.  

DPP does a great job of RAW conversion and I like having the digital lens optimizer.  It is fast and simple for doing what I do with the great majority of game images.  I often don't like the results from the auto gamma adjustment so it is best that I just ignore it and make any needed adjustments manually so avoid the random issue it creates.

Rodger

With DPP 4.9.20 the Graphics Processor Settings selection box appears under

Tools / Preferences / Image Processing 2

I am running Win7 SP1 with an NVidia GeForce GT720 card without any issues.

I installed a Nvida RTX 2060 to see how it would play with DPP 4.10.01 and it does speed up performance somewhat.  There is a check box to use the video card for image processing however there is no check box to use for image preview under preferences, just the line reading image preview but without an available check box.

It is definitely faster when applying digital lens optimizer or changing noise reduction settings with the new card so it is better than my older Nvidia card but I am still confused by the lack of a check box to use for image preview.

The new card has 1,920 "Turing" Cuda cores so it has plenty of video processing power and has 6 gigs of GDDR6 memory on the card.  It is sitting in one of the two fast PCI slots reserved for video cards in my dual processor workstation.

Bottom line, DPP 4.10.01 is faster with the new card than with the old but still somewhat slower than 4.9.2 with the old card so hopefully the next update will speed things up.  The hardware is there to do more but so far DPP isn't taking advantage of it.  Processor load peaks at 10% briefly, GPU load never goes above 5%, system memory sits at 6-7% utilization and it is using 1.1 gigs of the 6 gigs of on board video memory and 0.1 percent of available shared system memory.

Rodger 

Thanks for posting the updates with your experimentation. I still haven't made the jump to DPP 4.10 yet, nor have I found any great deals on graphics cards either. Around here at least the bitcoin clowns don't seem to have gotten the news yet that their bubble has burst.

I'm wondering if there are some newer PC "gaming" motherboards available that have some pumped-up graphics support onboard?

You are welcome and hopefully the prices will come down further.  I first thought about an upgrade last year and was shocked at graphics card pricing courtesy of the bitcoin bubble.

Some additional points after going through about 150 photos this morning:

1.  Digital lens optimization is markedly faster with the new card

2.  I have tried using auto gamma and it seems to be happy now that the new card is installed.  No out-of-memory errors and results are fast.  I also note that before when auto gamma was working I would see numerous changes as it worked through the process.  Now I see one shift to the original image and the next shift is final correction and the entire process is usually about 2 or 3 seconds now.

3.  Convert and save of a full 1DX 2 image into a high res jpg takes about 10 seconds which may be slightly faster. 

4.  Corel video studio ultimate provides much faster final video rendering with the new card and it provides the sort of dramatic difference I was hoping to see in DPP.  Resource utilization is a little higher than in DPP.  That will be nice for some video I will be shooting later in the season.

The new video card runs very cool which makes sense for what is supposed to be a gaming card being used in a pretty easy life.  CPU and GPU temperature don't budge above their mid 30C idle rate in DPP and climb to and stabilize in the upper 40C range during an extended video rendering.

The gaming motherboards might be a great idea since I don't think the bitcoin miners ever took that route to getting more processors.  I suspect you might also find some good deals on used video cards as some of the bitcoin miners have gone broke but those cards likely have some hard hours on them running at maximum performance.

Rodger

Announcements