cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.9.20.0 "Use graphics processor to speed up preview display" has no checkbox

Skies
Contributor

In DPP 4.9.20.0 (and previous versions), "Use graphics processor to speed up preview display" has no checkbox.

Does this mean:

a) Canon has not yet implemented this feature but is working on it

b) It is a bug

c) I need to install a more recent Nvidia graphics card driver (current is from 2018-05-15 and due fatalities in the past I'm very cautious with installing new drivers)

DPP-graphics-preview-checkbox.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
The option to speed up previews will be enabled when you enable a GPU. You do not have an option to disable it during previews. In fact, that is all the GPU does.

But, that is not the only benefit from using graphics card. The main benefit comes from having separate video RAM. The CPU runs faster when it does have allocate a share of System RAM as video RAM.

The CPU and the video chipset cannot access memory at the same time. So, the CPU is forced to suspend operations until after the video chipset releases memory.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

@Waddizzle wrote:
The main benefit comes from having separate video RAM. The CPU runs faster when it does have allocate a share of System RAM as video RAM.

I'm assuming you meant to say "doesn't have to allocate" a share of system ram as video ram.

Announcements