cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.8.x Feedback Thread

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Have you recently upgraded to DPP 4.8.20 for Windows or MAC. 

Please include:

Version and build of your OS

Fresh install or Upgrade from previous version of DPP

Your experience or feedback

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

36 REPLIES 36

I did notice one oddball glitch with 4.8.3.  I was processing some images I took at an end of year sports banquet and I wanted to create a pair of demonstration photos to show how much detail can be extracted from a very small crop of the overall image.  With this particular image if you try to apply automatic gamma adjustment after setting the very small crop of the overall photo it consistently locks up at around 70% complete but works fine if gamma adjustment is done before cropping.

I have done a lot of adjustments to other photos with 4.8.3 so this isn't a widespread issue but this one file does indicate a little glitch somewhere in the software.  I can't compare it to earlier versions so I don't know whether this is a new problem with 4.8.3 or something that has existed for some time but in any case it isn't a big deal since I have only experienced it with one file out of hundreds and this was with an extremely small crop.  The problem doesn't appear if the auto gamma adjustment is done prior to the crop nor does it occur with a more normal size of crop.  Manual adjustment creates zero issues when done after the crop.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

I did notice one oddball glitch with 4.8.3.  I was processing some images I took at an end of year sports banquet and I wanted to create a pair of demonstration photos to show how much detail can be extracted from a very small crop of the overall image.  With this particular image if you try to apply automatic gamma adjustment after setting the very small crop of the overall photo it consistently locks up at around 70% complete but works fine if gamma adjustment is done before cropping.

I have done a lot of adjustments to other photos with 4.8.3 so this isn't a widespread issue but this one file does indicate a little glitch somewhere in the software.  I can't compare it to earlier versions so I don't know whether this is a new problem with 4.8.3 or something that has existed for some time but in any case it isn't a big deal since I have only experienced it with one file out of hundreds and this was with an extremely small crop.  The problem doesn't appear if the auto gamma adjustment is done prior to the crop nor does it occur with a more normal size of crop.  Manual adjustment creates zero issues when done after the crop.

Rodger

That really surprises me, because I didn't think there was any connection between gamma adjustment and cropping. IOW, I assumed that gamma adjustment was always applied to the entire image, whether any cropping had been specified or not. That said, cropping is usually the last thing I do, and automatic adjustment, when I use it, one of the first. So I might not have had sufficient opportunity to observe. But I have not seen the behavior that Rodger describes.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob,

It happened under such a unique set of conditions that I don't think it is important.  I tried the same file taking a larger crop and it worked fine but it was consistent for that particular file with the tiny crop applied. I just tried a different file under the same conditions (lens correction applied, very small crop, then auto gamma adjust) and it was fine and I doubt if the problem ever appears for me again.

I have been shooting a lot of soccer photos and for me the work flow is faster doing a quick crop to see whether I think the image has content worth keeping and if so then I will make futher adjustments as needed.  I did a quick rough count and I have gone through just over 700 images since I installed the .3 update and I have only seen this one glitch so I don't think it is a matter of concern since it is easily worked around (auto gamma adjust then crop) if it shows up again.

These sorts of events are an undesirable but quite common side effect of increasing product complexity.  In my 2016 Corvette the automatic transmission gets momentarily confused if you do a "rolling stop" (not quite coming to a complete stop) and then apply moderate throttle just before the stop.  The transmission normally stays in third until you come to a complete halt which causes a shift into first but if you moderately accelerate during this gray area it stutters a moment trying to decide whether to drop down into second, stay in third, or do something else.  It is easy to avoid this behavior (probably a side effect of programming for maximum fuel economy on the EPA test loop) and a good reminder to come to a complete stop at stop signs 🙂

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

starman
Apprentice

OS Version and build
(see below)

Fresh install on boot disk

My experience
A fresh install of Digital Photo Professional 4.8.30.0 on the boot drive does not open on my Late 2013 iMac (which came with OS X 10.9—or maybe 10.8—preinstalled) when booted into OS X 10.10 from an external drive (6-30-2018).
DPP 4.8.30.0 also does not open after booting into macOS Sierra, Version 10.12.6 (16G1510), Darwin 16.7.0 kernel (7/1/2018).

In addition, DPP 4.7.21 does not open on the same machine booted into OS X 10.10 or macOS 10.12 (Fails with the message, Graphics processor is not available)

I have discovered that the versions of DPP mentioned above require
OS X 10.10, 10.11, macOS 10.12, 10.13 PREINSTALLED – UPGRADED MACHINES NOT SUPPORTED
(Quoted from Canon's documentation—emphasis mine—and verified by Canon Support, who were unable to provide a workaround.)

Therefore, because of the above, and because the last version of DPP (4.5.20.0) that runs on my Mac does not open CR2 files from my new EOS D77, I will have to buy a new computer if I want to process with Canon software RAW images captured with my new camera.

This very deeply disappoints me because I purchased my first DSLR (the EOS Rebel T6, which the EOS 77D was to replace) mainly to capture RAW images, and I really loved the DPP software for converting the T6 RAW images. (I haven't found any other software that matches it.)

I suggest you call Canon technical support and communicate your dilemma to them. There might be a previous version of DPP that suits your needs and since Mac OS issues aren't jumping all over the place they may have a solution for you. Their number is 1-800-652-2666. Personally, I have found the Canon customer service second to none. Give it a shot.

Appreciate your suggestion. Thank you very much. I am in Singapore. I will try to contact the local support here. Thanks again.

One minor glitch I notice with 4.8.3 that didn't show up for me on earlier versions of DPP:

When I transfer a group of files to the PC in most cases my first "edit" is to select all images and then apply an appropriate recipe to the group.  I then edit files individually.  I have found with 4.8.3 after I select all and then paste the recipe once all files are no longer selected and I click on an image to select it when I hit control + right arrow to open the edit window I will always initially get the last image in the group regardless of which one is currently selected.  It only does this once after pasting the recipe so I just accept I will have to go through the process twice to actually select the first image I want before it acts normally. 

Fortunately this is a small glitch with an easy work-around.

Rodger

Announcements