cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.8.x Feedback Thread

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Have you recently upgraded to DPP 4.8.20 for Windows or MAC. 

Please include:

Version and build of your OS

Fresh install or Upgrade from previous version of DPP

Your experience or feedback

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

36 REPLIES 36

I'm running High Sierra 10.13.4 and DPP 4.8.20.0 -- working fine.

You may have a corrupt preference file (.plist) in your user account.

Do you have another user account on the mac?  An easy test is to use a different account (on your mac) -- or temporarily create a new user account and see if you can launch and use DPP.

If that works, it's usually an indication that something specific to the user account is causing the problem.

You'll find the plist files associated with DPP located in 

/Users/your_user_name/Library/Preferences

The files will likely be named:

com.canon.Digital Photo Professional.plist

com.canon.Digital Photo Professional Batch.plist

com.canon.Digital Photo Professional.LSSSharedFileList.plist

com.canon.Digital-Photo-Professional-4.plist

com.canon.Digital-Photo-Professional-4-Batch.plist

The "Library" folder is normally a hidden folder on the Mac (because normally you shouldn't be messing with it's contents).

To access it:

1. Open a "Finder" window.
  2. From the main menubar, click "Go" to open the pull-down menu (you will probably NOT see the "LIbrary" folder on the list)
  3. Hold down the "Option" key (while the "Go" menu is displayed) and you should see the "Library" option appear (it will only appear if you continue to hold down "Option" ... if you release the key it will hide it again).
  4. Pick the "Library" folder from the list.
  5. Within the Library folder, navigate to the "Preferences" folder.

Most likely DPP 4 is only using the last two plist files I listed above (the ones that have "Digital-Photo-Profession-4" in the name ... hyphenated.  The others are likely from DPP 3 (but I'm not sure about that).

Rather than deleting them... just drag them to another location (such as your desktop).

Now launch DPP 4 (it wont be able to find those plist files ... this will force it to create fresh plist files with defaults).

If that DOES work, then go ahead and delete the old plist files as they are likely corrupt.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

niamcl
Apprentice

Have you recently upgraded to DPP 4.8.20 for Windows or MAC. 

Please include:

Version and build of your OS

Windows 10 Professional with automatic update.

Fresh install or Upgrade from previous version of DPP

Upgrade from the previous version. 

Your experience or feedback

It is still very slow. I don't see any signifcant improvement in speed. It is highly unproductive. It is difficult for an user to multi-task to do something else while waiting for DPP to complete whatever it is doing so that we can save the edited image.

I happy to report that I've just downloaded and installed DPP 4.8.30. Although, I haven't played with it very much, it doesn't appear to exhibit the crashing problems that I documented on this thread previously. I even selected the folder that contains all the problem children that caused 4.8.20 to crash without incident. 

Thanks for posting this Greyfox! 

I just upgraded from 4.8.2 to .3 and I noted that the reduced speed when going to a directory with a large number of files that appeared with the .2 version seems to have also been addressed with the .3 update.

Canon also added another adjustment tool for adjusting specific parts of the image with this version.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thanks for the feedback guys!.  Have updated the title here to "4.8.x Feedback Thread"

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I have just upgraded to DPP 4.8.30.0 and I don't see any improvement in the issue I encountered.

Whenever I have an existing jpeg file of a CR2 photo and I edited the CR2 photo and tried to save a jpeg version, there would be a message to ask me whether I wanted to overwirte the existing jpeg file. It would take a very long time perhaps 30 secs or more before it started to process the file after I answered yes.

@niamcl wrote:

I have just upgraded to DPP 4.8.30.0 and I don't see any improvement in the issue I encountered.

Whenever I have an existing jpeg file of a CR2 photo and I edited the CR2 photo and tried to save a jpeg version, there would be a message to ask me whether I wanted to overwirte the existing jpeg file. It would take a very long time perhaps 30 secs or more before it started to process the file after I answered yes.

Long unexplained delays, often lasting a minute or more, continue to be an unresolved problem in DPP 4. IIRC, that was not a problem in any earlier version of DPP.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks, Bob.

For a moment, I thought I was the only one experiencing it.

I haven't noticed any unusual delays in 4.8.3 with these delays.  I shot around 300 images over the weekend at several youth soccer games and with several of these I decided to make second edits to the file before again converting and uploading it to the Canon image website and linking it to our Facebook page.

The biggest slowdown I have seen with any of the recent DPP versions is when both lens correction and noise reduction for high ISO shots is involved and those changes seem to add a few seconds to the jpg conversion process but it is still fast (at least on my dual processor workstation).

Try this on a "normal" ISO range file without lens correction enabled and see if the second JPG conversion delay goes away.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@niamcl wrote:

What type of computer are you using?  Canon strongly recommends using an NVidia graphics card.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements