cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.7.1 Crop Settings

GenXRailmedia
Enthusiast

I've been using it for a couple of weeks and like it fairly well. The only thing I'm not a fan of is when I go to crop, the default setting is 3:2.  I always prefer "Free" because I am an OCD control freak.  Robot Happy

Anyway, is there a way to change the crop default to "Free" so I don't have the extra step of having to click to change it?  I know it doesn't take that long, but I find it incredibly annoying.  

I looked in preferences but saw nothing pertaining to cropping options.

23 REPLIES 23

My first "edit" is to select all images in the directory and paste a general recipe for whatever general type of image set I am working with (i.e. indoor soccer, landscape, etc.) and along with picture style and any other global adjustments I include free crop setting as part of the recipe.  To me this is an easy work around to this lack of defaulting to free instead of a set aspect ratio.

When adding images to an existing directory just select the added images for applying the recipe.  I have used the recipe command since I first started using DPP with my 1DM2 back in 2005.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

My first "edit" is to select all images in the directory and paste a general recipe for whatever general type of image set I am working with (i.e. indoor soccer, landscape, etc.) and along with picture style and any other global adjustments I include free crop setting as part of the recipe.  To me this is an easy work around to this lack of defaulting to free instead of a set aspect ratio.

When adding images to an existing directory just select the added images for applying the recipe.  I have used the recipe command since I first started using DPP with my 1DM2 back in 2005.

Rodger

I'm pretty sure that it was not until DPP V4 that crop settings could be included in a recipe file. And I'm even more sure that DPP V4 was not available in 2005.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

My primary points were:

1. Using the paste recipe has been a habit of mine since I first started using the version of DPP tha came with my 1DM2 back in 2005.

2.  Using this method works very well as a fast and easy way to set all of the images in your directory to a free aspect ratio with the current version of DPP.

I thought my orignial response was pretty clear and the intent was to provide a suggestion for an easy method to address the issue..

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

My primary points were:

1. Using the paste recipe has been a habit of mine since I first started using the version of DPP tha came with my 1DM2 back in 2005.

2.  Using this method works very well as a fast and easy way to set all of the images in your directory to a free aspect ratio with the current version of DPP.

I thought my orignial response was pretty clear and the intent was to provide a suggestion for an easy method to address the issue..

Rodger

As a practical matter, you're probably right. There may still be some users who lack a 64-bit computer and therefore can't use DPP 4. But even if Canon were to accept the original suggestion and provide a direct method of defaulting the aspect ratio to "free", they wouldn't apply it to DPP 3. I don't think they've done anything to DPP 3 in at least three years.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements