cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.6.10 Won't Run on OS X (Sierra & El Capitan) - "Graphics processor is not available"

ObecalpStat
Contributor

I tried using the latest DPP (4.6.10) on a brand new/clean/fresh install of Sierra (10.12.3) and I get the error "Graphics processor is not available".

I then did a fresh/clean (as in format the hard drive) install of El Capitan, installed the OS updates and then installed DPP 4.6.10 and got the same error.

I then uninstalled/cleaned DPP from my system with these commands:

sudo rm -rf /Library/Application\ Support/Canon_Inc_IC/
sudo rm -rf /Users/Shared/Canon_Inc_IC/
sudo rm -rf /Library/Application\ Support/Canon_Inc_IC/
sudo rm -rf /Users/Shared/Canon_Inc_IC/
sudo rm -rf /Applications/Canon\ Utilities/
sudo rm -rf /Library/Preferences/com.canon.ic_installer.plist
sudo rm -rf /Users/pkirchner/Library/Caches/com.canon.SubInstaller
sudo rm -rf /Users/pkirchner/Library/Preferences/com.canon.Digital-Photo-Professional-4.plist

After that I tried installing DPP v4.5.20 and DPP v4.5.0 using the 31.4A Solutions disk but they all result in "Graphics processor is not available" when I try to run the program.

I'm on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB and Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB.

I've contacted Canon support via email and we've gone back and forth a bit on everything I described above but they don't have any suggestions or solutions for me yet.

Just this evening I tried another fresh/clean install of Sierra, the OS updates, the latest NVIDIA drivers, the latest CUDA package, disabled (automatic graphics switching, which I had done before) and only then did I install DPP 4.6.10, but I just get the same error "Graphics processor is not available".

I'm sure this is a software bug either on Apple's side or Canon's side, but I'm hoping it is resolved soon as I have some photos that need editing.

Here's a screenshot of showing most of the stuff I've described:

http://i.imgur.com/uhROvWU.jpg

I also love how NVIDIA doesn't list Mac OS in the list of downloadable drivers even though there is a driver for OS X (WebDriver-367.15.10.35f01.pkg), so you instead have to google search for it 😕

http://i.imgur.com/hfon7Nb.png

12 REPLIES 12

ObecalpStat
Contributor
Even the newest version of DPP (v4.6.30) still won't run on my MacBook Pro under OS X Sierra (v10.12.6). I still get the "Graphics Processor not Available" error. But get this, on the same exact MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) using Windows 10 as the OS in boot camp mode, DPP 4.6.30 for Windows works just fine. I'd rather use DPP in OS X but at least I can start processing pictures again using Windows 10.

@ObecalpStat wrote:
Even the newest version of DPP (v4.6.30) still won't run on my MacBook Pro under OS X Sierra (v10.12.6). I still get the "Graphics Processor not Available" error. But get this, on the same exact MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) using Windows 10 as the OS in boot camp mode, DPP 4.6.30 for Windows works just fine. I'd rather use DPP in OS X but at least I can start processing pictures again using Windows 10.

I haven't had a Mac on my desk in more than 25 years, so consider the source. But note that one of the options in DPP4 is to use or not use the computer's graphics processor.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I have the same problem on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) with DPP Version 4.7.20.0: is there a way to disable usage of graphics processor before starting up dpp 4?

I don't know if this would solve the problem, since DPP runs fine on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), and the configuration is the following, showing the graphics processor is disabled: 

Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 10.39.46.png

I can't even get into the preferences.  I try to start DPP 4, the splash screen rectangle shows, then the error "Graphics Processor not available" shows on top of the splash screen with an "OK" button.  I have to clic OK in order to get to the "Digital Photo Professional 4' pull down menu that has "Preferences" in it.  I can click on "Preferences" but the preferences of couse never launch.  This is truly complete crap on Caon's part.  If you're reading this, you can suck an egg Canon!  This same MacBook Pro can run Windows, which I have installed on it and the same video card works fine in the Windows version of the program.  This is clearly an issue with the Mac version of their software but they aren't willing to admit it or even help us out.

I believe Canon’s DPP4 is compatible with nVidia graphics processors.  

Just having a GPU in your system does not guarantee that applications can find it, and use it.  You probably have to go into the GPU utility, and enable it for specific applications.  Once you enable it for the application, then you often must tell the application to look for a GPU and use it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I lost the installation cd of an older working version, so I followed this guide to install an older version of the software starting from an Updater package (dppm3.15.0-updater), and it works. 

I can get the version 3 series to work but I am not interested in using that series anymore.  I've been using the 4 series for years and am used to it now.  I was working perfectly fine on this same exact laptop until I upgraded the laptop to El Capitan and then the same thing on Sierra.

@ObecalpStat wrote:

I can get the version 3 series to work but I am not interested in using that series anymore.  I've been using the 4 series for years and am used to it now.  I was working perfectly fine on this same exact laptop until I upgraded the laptop to El Capitan and then the same thing on Sierra.

Earlier in this thread you said that 4.6.30 is the latest version. It isn't. The latest is 4.7.20, and it apparently claims to work even with High Sierra. That release appears to be only a couple of days old, so it may be true.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I keep my eyes on the releases and had hopes for a while but each new release does the same thing.  I've got Version 4.7.20.0 on my Macbook Pro (10.12.6) now but it doesn't work either.

Announcements