cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.6.10 Won't Run on OS X (Sierra & El Capitan) - "Graphics processor is not available"

ObecalpStat
Contributor

I tried using the latest DPP (4.6.10) on a brand new/clean/fresh install of Sierra (10.12.3) and I get the error "Graphics processor is not available".

I then did a fresh/clean (as in format the hard drive) install of El Capitan, installed the OS updates and then installed DPP 4.6.10 and got the same error.

I then uninstalled/cleaned DPP from my system with these commands:

sudo rm -rf /Library/Application\ Support/Canon_Inc_IC/
sudo rm -rf /Users/Shared/Canon_Inc_IC/
sudo rm -rf /Library/Application\ Support/Canon_Inc_IC/
sudo rm -rf /Users/Shared/Canon_Inc_IC/
sudo rm -rf /Applications/Canon\ Utilities/
sudo rm -rf /Library/Preferences/com.canon.ic_installer.plist
sudo rm -rf /Users/pkirchner/Library/Caches/com.canon.SubInstaller
sudo rm -rf /Users/pkirchner/Library/Preferences/com.canon.Digital-Photo-Professional-4.plist

After that I tried installing DPP v4.5.20 and DPP v4.5.0 using the 31.4A Solutions disk but they all result in "Graphics processor is not available" when I try to run the program.

I'm on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB and Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB.

I've contacted Canon support via email and we've gone back and forth a bit on everything I described above but they don't have any suggestions or solutions for me yet.

Just this evening I tried another fresh/clean install of Sierra, the OS updates, the latest NVIDIA drivers, the latest CUDA package, disabled (automatic graphics switching, which I had done before) and only then did I install DPP 4.6.10, but I just get the same error "Graphics processor is not available".

I'm sure this is a software bug either on Apple's side or Canon's side, but I'm hoping it is resolved soon as I have some photos that need editing.

Here's a screenshot of showing most of the stuff I've described:

http://i.imgur.com/uhROvWU.jpg

I also love how NVIDIA doesn't list Mac OS in the list of downloadable drivers even though there is a driver for OS X (WebDriver-367.15.10.35f01.pkg), so you instead have to google search for it 😕

http://i.imgur.com/hfon7Nb.png

12 REPLIES 12

@mox601 wrote:

I have the same problem on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) with DPP Version 4.7.20.0: is there a way to disable usage of graphics processor before starting up dpp 4?

I don't know if this would solve the problem, since DPP runs fine on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) <snip>

Preamble

It appears that DPP 4.5.20.0 is the latest version that will run on my Late 2013 iMac, which came with OS X 10.9—or maybe 10.8—preinstalled. All later DPP versions AFAIK require
OS X 10.10, 10.11, macOS 10.12, 10.13 PREINSTALLED – UPGRADED MACHINES NOT SUPPORTED
(Quoted from Canon's documentation—emphasis mine—and verified by Canon Support, who were unable to provide a workaround for me.)

Result

Your Mid 2012 MacBook Pro (like my iMac) would have come with an unsupported OS (OS X Lion, in your case) preinstalled—and therefore will not run DPP Version 4.7.20.0. But the Mid 2015 MacBook Pro would have come with an OS (macOS Sierra) that meets the DPP 4.7.20.0 OS requirements—and therefore is able to run DPP 4.7.20.0.

Firstly, let me grumble and complain that I received NO help whatsoever from Canon regarding this issue, nor has anyone else who's posted a request for this issue.  It's been nearly 4 years since I first had this issue and requested assistance from Canon.  They were clueless.  This really is unacceptable considering the fact that this is their software.

Case senstive formatted APFS is the problem.  I reformatted my Mac tonight and just used APFS (without case sensitivity) and sure enough, DPP now finally runs.  After almost 4 years of f*cking around and dual booting into Windows on my Mac, I have finally solved it, no thanks to Canon.

I only recenlty saw a post regarding Photoshop not running on a Mac with a case sensitive file system and it got me thinking that maybe my DPP issue was the same.

Sorry to tell everyone that you're going to have to backup everything, run disk utility and reformat without case sensitivity, reinstall Mac OS and then you'll be able to run DPP.  What a pain in the ass...

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@ObecalpStat wrote:

I tried using the latest DPP (4.6.10) on a brand new/clean/fresh install of Sierra (10.12.3) and I get the error "Graphics processor is not available".

I then did a fresh/clean (as in format the hard drive) install of El Capitan, installed the OS updates and then installed DPP 4.6.10 and got the same error.

Did you enable APFS case sensitivity at some point?  It is disabled by default, with lots of WARNINGS about enabling it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements