Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.5 on W7 freezes when creating new folder

TiGer4711
Apprentice

Hi all,

i use Canon DPP on Windows 7 and get a strange behavior:

When DPP is running and i create a new folder, both DPP and Windows Explorer are freezing for 10-45 seconds. When DPP is not running, a folder gets created immediately. Similar freezes happens after all file operations, e.g. renaming folder, moving several images to a different folder.

DPP freezes regularly when working with many files (several hundrets in my case), for example when rating images: after rating 10-15 images, DPP freezes for about 30-60 seconds.

DPP always un-freeze afeter waiting long enough.

Any suggestions?

10 REPLIES 10

It's just that DPP 4 is remarkably slow. I don't know why, and I don't think Canon knows. I'd suggest that you upgrade to 4.6, but it isn't any faster.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

It's just doing its internal computing. It probably says (not responding) in the top bar of the window?

Update to 4.6.30 for a start (but it won't solve the issue). Increase your RAM. But no matter what it is always possible to select more operations than any software is able to keep up with. It's just that DPP is notoriously slow. The fact that it catches up shows that the software hasn't crashed.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@TiGer4711 wrote:

Hi all,

i use Canon DPP on Windows 7 and get a strange behavior:

When DPP is running and i create a new folder, both DPP and Windows Explorer are freezing for 10-45 seconds. When DPP is not running, a folder gets created immediately. Similar freezes happens after all file operations, e.g. renaming folder, moving several images to a different folder.

DPP freezes regularly when working with many files (several hundrets in my case), for example when rating images: after rating 10-15 images, DPP freezes for about 30-60 seconds.

DPP always un-freeze afeter waiting long enough.

Any suggestions?

There is nothing wrong with the DPP software.  The DPP software just simply runs slowly on budget laptops.  It runs MUCH faster on a platform with at least 8-16GB of RAM, and more importantly, a separate video graphics card with it's own RAM.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Mr_Fusion
Enthusiast

OK, some background, what kind of camera (what size files are you down loading); since it is an older computer (running Win-7), how much RAM (memory) do you have; and how full is your hard drive?

(I'm using an older HP G61 that came with Win-7, but upgraded to Win-10. I prefer it to my newer HP as I hate the keyboard on the 17"Pavilion.)

Do you close each photo after editing or leave them open? Leaving them open can drain a lot of memory, especially if you don't have much. Same idea, do you leave other programs open?

What format do you work and save in? RAW are big files that need to be rendered when being saved. If you don't have much memory, that can really bog down the engine. You'll probably notice your CPU fan working when you try saving them. Also, a weak CPU will slow things down.

Hi again,

sorry for beeing offline so long. First, thank you for your post and hints.

Too answer some of your questions:

- My PC is not a budget Laptop. It is a tower, 6 GB RAM, Samsung Evo 850 SSD and a 4 TB magnetic disk, Intel Core i5 750 2,7 Ghz CPU (4 cores). AMD Radeon HD 5850 with 1GB RAM.

- I do not leave images open after editing.

- i have started with DPP 3.x, and updated later to 4.3, 4.4, 4.5 after beeing released.

- DPP 4.6 will not address any performance issues, but provides only support for newer Cameras like 6D-II

- The issue i described in my orginal post occurs even when working on an folder with only 1 image, independent from number of images. It occurs when renaming folders. There is typacilly 2GB RAM unused. It is not related to RAM usage.

- I shoot mainly with EOS 80D, RAW sizes 25MB to 30MB per image. And someti9mes with EOS 1200D, 20 to 25 MB per image. Again, the freezing issue happens completely independend form images. It is only related to folder operations.

And now the reason for beeing offline:

I recently purchsed a new PC, AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, 32 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Nvida 1080 GTX. It is much faster, and until now the issue did not show up at the new PC. But i noticed folder operations take longer when DPP is running, getting up from "unnoticable" to "oh i can see it"

DPP scales well across the 16 cores (8 physical + 8 virtual), but reaches only 10-25% utilization in average (e.g. opening files, editing receipts, HDR edits). Waiting time is reduced by factor 2-3 only, despite the new PC offers 10x CPU, 5-6x RAM, 8xSSD IO-OPS, 10x graphics perfomance.

@TiGer4711 wrote:

Hi again,

sorry for beeing offline so long. First, thank you for your post and hints.

Too answer some of your questions:

- My PC is not a budget Laptop. It is a tower, 6 GB RAM, Samsung Evo 850 SSD and a 4 TB magnetic disk, Intel Core i5 750 2,7 Ghz CPU (4 cores). AMD Radeon HD 5850 with 1GB RAM.

- I do not leave images open after editing.

- i have started with DPP 3.x, and updated later to 4.3, 4.4, 4.5 after beeing released.

- DPP 4.6 will not address any performance issues, but provides only support for newer Cameras like 6D-II

- The issue i described in my orginal post occurs even when working on an folder with only 1 image, independent from number of images. It occurs when renaming folders. There is typacilly 2GB RAM unused. It is not related to RAM usage.

- I shoot mainly with EOS 80D, RAW sizes 25MB to 30MB per image. And someti9mes with EOS 1200D, 20 to 25 MB per image. Again, the freezing issue happens completely independend form images. It is only related to folder operations.

And now the reason for beeing offline:

I recently purchsed a new PC, AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, 32 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Nvida 1080 GTX. It is much faster, and until now the issue did not show up at the new PC. But i noticed folder operations take longer when DPP is running, getting up from "unnoticable" to "oh i can see it"

DPP scales well across the 16 cores (8 physical + 8 virtual), but reaches only 10-25% utilization in average (e.g. opening files, editing receipts, HDR edits). Waiting time is reduced by factor 2-3 only, despite the new PC offers 10x CPU, 5-6x RAM, 8xSSD IO-OPS, 10x graphics perfomance.

That sounds like DPP might not be making use of the graphics card.  Some cards need to be told which applications should be allowed to use the graphics card.  The number of monitors connected to a system is a mixed blessing, BTW.

Hi Waddizzle,

on my new PC, i activated usage of the GPU by DPP (and restarted DPP).

For me, i can't observe a performance difference with/without GPU enabled.

Hi all,

back to topic, my original question was:

what can help if DPP freezes my PC and Windows Explorer for 30-45 seconds when i create a new folder within my picture library.

It does not make any difference if i use DPP or Explorer to create a new folder.

The only constraint is if DPP is running or not.

This issue is certainly not related to my Camera, picture siize, RAW format, CPU, RAM, GPU, Version of DPP (it happend for all 4.x releases).

My PC runs with good performance with any other software (Office, Games like Dirt 2 etc).

I have never tried to create folders from within DPP.  I do not store and edit photos in my Pictures folder, either.  Some applications like to synchronize that folder with the "Cloud".

You may want to disable Windows Media Player from automatically scanning new media and adding files to its' catalog.  You want to configure Windows to "Take No Action" when it discovered new media.  I would suspect that creating a new folder within "Pictures" might meet the definition of "new media" that needs scanning.

Announcements