Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.12.70 Now Available

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Changes for Digital Photo Professional 4.12.70 for Windows :

- Digital Lens Optimizer correction accuracy has been improved.
- Support for reduced restrictions on Cloud Processing (30 images per month -> 30 images per day) has been added.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
14 REPLIES 14

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Thanks John,

I noticed that it appears to have cured a JPG file size creation glitch that emerged in the prior version.  As an example, I converted a 1DX 2 cropped photo this morning just before the update and had to reduce the quality from the usual 9 down to a 7 to get it to fit the forum's 5 meg jpg size limit.  New version 12.70 takes the same file but with quality set to 9 the output size is 4.9 megs instead of the 6.2 megs that the prior version created and a few of the files with the old version were incredibly large due to some processing glitch.  4.12.70 seems to be creating proper file sizes again.

On the downside, I have already seen three times when 4.12.70 has caused a momentary (roughly 1 second) DPP not responding glitch that was common with some earlier versions of DPP.  This is on a HP Z840 workstation running Win 10 pro on two 6 core 3.4 Ghz Xeon processors (Intel multiple processor/server rated version of the I7) with 128 GB of RAM per CPU and dual Nvidia Quadro cards with 1,664 Cuda cores per card. 

Thanks for alerting the forum to the update.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Hi Rodger.

Have you ever tried using the Cloud Processing option. I tried it today and nothing seems to happen.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

John,

I tried it with an earlier version of DPP and it only seems to do the same level of NR that is already in DPP and it wasn't any faster, I used several files of varying ISO to test.  But I cannot even get it to work with 4.12.70.  It allows me to setup and log in to the cloud but the cloud box never appears and pressing alt C results in a "target file does not exist" error message.

I am running out now for a consulting meeting and I will try to figure out if I am doing something wrong when I get back home.  But unless they are now providing a better algorithm via the cloud than they do in DPP I believe the only advantage would be if you are using it on  a very resource limited PC.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Similar experience Rodger.

I tried it when it first came out just to see how it worked. 

It doesn't work for me in the new version; I get different errors - the log in selection is greyed out. If I select Alt-C it gives me a downlaod to reinstall. A cloud box opens but if I try and drag a file to it I get the circle-bar though the image but a spinner starts. But nothing happens.

I deleted 4.12.70 and reinstalled .60. Similar non-performance.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank you John!  I will wait for the next patch from Canon.

Rodger

John,

I noticed while doing some other work that DPP did create a new folder under Windows/User/Rodger named DPP_CLOUD_BOX dated today.  I tried copy some 1DX III RAW files there and DPP sees them but still won't do anything with the cloud.

The previous DPP didn't create that folder.  Maybe this is one of those unusual cases where this DPP function works on IOS and not Windows for this update...

It probably isn't a big deal.  When Canon first announced the cloud option, I thought maybe it would do a better job than what is in the desktop software but when it worked in the past it did exactly the same thing down ending with exactly the same JPG file size and even pixel peeping didn't allow me to see any difference between local versus cloud processing.  So unless something changed, I think the only value of the cloud would be if you were trying to work with files from the 1DX III or the newer R cameras on a minimally equipped laptop or similar.

Rodger

I searched for that folder and on my PC it is in the Pictures folder in my user account.

It contains the output files from when I tried cloud processing back in May when it first came out.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

John,

That makes sense because I used the Canon cloud on my older HP Z820 workstation so that original folder with the files I tested is probably on it.  Before I update DPP, I will see if the cloud is still working with the older DPP.

Rodger

I tried it on my MacBook Air. On the Mac the Log In option is active and it takes me to a screen that asks for my Canon ID.

On the PC the Log In option is greyed out.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements