cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.12.0.5 removes GPS info from my pictures

MaurizioLoreti
Contributor

MacOS 10.15.3, DPP 4.12.0.5; Canon EOS R connected to a smartphone via Camera Connect in order to insert GPS info in the .CR3 files.  Handling three .CR3 images in DPP to create an HDR JPG image, all the GPS info (present in all the three .CR3 images) is missing from the resulting JPG output.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MaurizioLoreti
Contributor
Thank you. Well, 70 exifs were added; just not the ones I was interested in. Than you for your time.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@MaurizioLoreti wrote:

MacOS 10.15.3, DPP 4.12.0.5; Canon EOS R connected to a smartphone via Camera Connect in order to insert GPS info in the .CR3 files.  Handling three .CR3 images in DPP to create an HDR JPG image, all the GPS info (present in all the three .CR3 images) is missing from the resulting JPG output.

That is an unusual workflow.  If I may ask, what is stopping you from going straight to the Mac?  

You have left out a great many details for someone to understand or reproduce your issue.  

Why are you sending files too your (unnamed) smartphone via Camera Connect?  

How are the files being moved from Camera Connect to your Mac?

Do the files still have GPS data when they arrive at the Mac?

I have not yet installed the latest version of DPP.  Previous versions do not remove GPS data.  I do not recall any complaints from someon going straight from the camera to a computer.. But, you did have to download the files from the camera in a specific way from GPS enabled DSLRs.  

When I download files with GPS, I have to turn on the GPS in the camera for the GPS data to be included in the EXIF.  Also, GPS log files are not automatically included unless you tell the camera to include them.  This is all food for thought, not a solution to your issue.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

1) I am NOT sending files from my iPhone XS Max to my camera.  Canon Camera Connect is an app connected via Bluetooth to my EOS R that sends GPS info from the iPhone to the EOS R, that in turn inserts them as exif metadata in the RAW file.

2) The files are NOT moved from Camera Connect.  They are sent to my iMac 27" using Image Capture, a software from Apple included in the OS.

In the .CR3 files are present the following Exif metadata:

MLO@tyrfing 13 $ exiftool -s IMR_0138.CR3 | grep GPS
GPSVersionID                    : 2.3.0.0
GPSLatitudeRef                  : North
GPSLongitudeRef                 : East
GPSAltitudeRef                  : Above Sea Level
GPSTimeStamp                    : 09:14:44
GPSSatellites                   : 
GPSStatus                       : Measurement Active
GPSMapDatum                     : WGS-84
GPSDateStamp                    : 2020:01:21
GPSAltitude                     : 12.8 m Above Sea Level
GPSDateTime                     : 2020:01:21 09:14:44Z
GPSLatitude                     : 45 deg 24' 5.23" N
GPSLongitude                    : 11 deg 52' 44.39" E
GPSPosition                     : 45 deg 24' 5.23" N, 11 deg 52' 44.39" E

Doing the same for the generated HDR gives:

MLO@tyrfing 15 $ exiftool -s IMR_0138_DPP.JPG | grep GPS
MLO@tyrfing 16 $

I can attach to this report a JPG file, but NOT a CR3 file.

Hope I made myself mre clear.

I see

v4.12.10 (released 2-19-2020)

Notes: - Added "Noise reduction (cloud)" functions.

and

v4.12.0 (released 2-3-2020)

Sugguest you install 4.12.10 and retest.  Do a fresh install, uninstall whatever you have now, restart and use the new installer.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

On Canon Europe only 4.12.0.5 is available; I tried to download DPP from Canon USA, and there too (https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca...) I got 4.12.0.5. Where may I find 4.12.10?  TIA...

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca...

Annotation 2020-03-11 111023.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you for the quick reply. I downloaded 4.12.10.2 and tried "Start HDR compositing tool" from there. The behaviour is the same as before: all the GPS data stored in the three CR3 original files are missing from the JPG output.

The CR3 files are named IMR_0138.CR3, 0139 and 0140; the output file is named IMR_0138_DPP.JPG. Look:

MLO@tyrfing 2 $ exiftool -s Desktop/HDR/IMR_0138.CR3 | grep GPS
GPSVersionID                    : 2.3.0.0
GPSLatitudeRef                  : North
GPSLongitudeRef                 : East
GPSAltitudeRef                  : Above Sea Level
GPSTimeStamp                    : 09:14:44
GPSSatellites                   : 
GPSStatus                       : Measurement Active
GPSMapDatum                     : WGS-84
GPSDateStamp                    : 2020:01:21
GPSAltitude                     : 12.8 m Above Sea Level
GPSDateTime                     : 2020:01:21 09:14:44Z
GPSLatitude                     : 45 deg 24' 5.23" N
GPSLongitude                    : 11 deg 52' 44.39" E
GPSPosition                     : 45 deg 24' 5.23" N, 11 deg 52' 44.39" E
MLO@tyrfing 3 $ exiftool -s Desktop/HDR/IMR_0138_DPP.JPG | grep GPS
MLO@tyrfing 4 $ exiftool -s Desktop/HDR/IMR_0138_DPP.JPG | wc -l
MLO@tyrfing 5 $ exiftool -s Desktop/HDR/IMR_0138.CR3 | grep -v GPS | wc -l

As you can see, several (70) Exif metadata are present in the final image; I am afraid that the GPS-related Exif metadata inserted in the CR3 files by Canon Camera Connect are in some way "different" from the other Exif's, and as such not recognized by DPP. There is a bug somewhere.

If needed, I may attach the resulting JPG file to this thread for diagnostics; but clicking on "Insert Image" -> "Browse", all the CR3 file names are ghosted out and cannot be selected for the attachment.  As a side note, the original CR3 files contains much more Exif metadata (340) than the JPG output; of course the shutter speed etc. data come from three different image and are removed - but the loss of 270 Exif's seems a little too much for me.

Excuse, of course, my bad english; I hope you however understand what is my problem.

Hello,

i am using Digital Photo Professional Express for ipad. i noticed today that images i exported to DPP Express did not have location data. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sergei

SSL

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
DPP was developed by Canon for editing files created by Canon cameras.

I know from my experience that some JPEG and TIFF files created outside of my Canon cameras or DPP are not recognized by DPP.

While I don’t know it be a fact I am not surprised that edits made to an EXIF file outside of DPP may not be recognized by DPP. I don’t know if it is appropriate to consider it a bug in DPP since it isn’t advertised as a feature of DPP.

By the way, welcome to the forum.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

MaurizioLoreti
Contributor
The Exif’s were not “edited”. My camera (EOS R) has generated them. And from the memory card they were copied on the hard disk. If DPP removes them, in my very humble opinion this is an error.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements