cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.12.0.4 unusable

dpp4user
Contributor

Just upgraded from 4.10... to 4.12.0.4 and DPP doesn't work at all (Windows 10)

Cannot edit images. After pressing the button nothing happens.

After changing the directory in the tree view more than two times, no images/thubmnails are displayed.

Checkboxes in the settings dialog are dead.
Cannot close the settings dialog by Ok (only Cancel).

Stopped testing at this point.

Uninstalled and reinstalled: no difference.

P.S.: I was using DPP 4 w/o problems for years.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

In my OP I mentioned that I uninstalled the software and then re-installed it again, which didn't help.

However, meanwhile I was able to solve it like that:

• Uninstall any Canon software
  • Remove all folders that start with "Canon"
  • Install the software

So the uninstall did not remove everything (which is nothing special - most uninstaller remove the program files only).

It looks like some settings/files of older DPP versions were incompatible with DPP 12.

Probably removing the particular file or folder would have helped too, but which one?

(Just clearing the cache didn't help.)

I observed similar problems already with 4.11 coming from 4.10 (I went back from 4.11 to 4.10 again at that time).

So it is probably a change in 4.11 rather than 4.12 specific.

Some compatibility check or just checking for existing older software versions and an option to remove old settings during installation is a good idea. Just like some error message or log file will give a hint about the affected file or folder

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ray-uk
Whiz

Works for me with windows 10 pro 64 bit.

Perhaps you should download a new copy and do a fresh install.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Works for me with a couple of minor glitches as noted in the thread I posted in this froum about 4.12.0.4 on February 7.

It does seem marginally slower than the prior version when doing some tasks.  I am running it under Win 10 Pro 64 on a HP Z820 dual CPU workstation. 

Waiting somewhat patiently for B&H to ship my 1DX Mark III so I can see how it does with those files 🙂

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Tim
Authority

ddp4user, 

We are sorry to hear that the issue persists.  We recommend uninstalling the software and then performing a complete re-install of freshly downloaded software.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

In my OP I mentioned that I uninstalled the software and then re-installed it again, which didn't help.

However, meanwhile I was able to solve it like that:

• Uninstall any Canon software
  • Remove all folders that start with "Canon"
  • Install the software

So the uninstall did not remove everything (which is nothing special - most uninstaller remove the program files only).

It looks like some settings/files of older DPP versions were incompatible with DPP 12.

Probably removing the particular file or folder would have helped too, but which one?

(Just clearing the cache didn't help.)

I observed similar problems already with 4.11 coming from 4.10 (I went back from 4.11 to 4.10 again at that time).

So it is probably a change in 4.11 rather than 4.12 specific.

Some compatibility check or just checking for existing older software versions and an option to remove old settings during installation is a good idea. Just like some error message or log file will give a hint about the affected file or folder

Announcements