cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DDP4 Edit saving issues - losing some edits on reopening program.

nelsonsdavis
Contributor

Hello everyone. I'm using the lastest version of DDP4.
I've never had this issue before, but now it occurs regularly and I'm going bonkers.
I am editing RAW photos. Make the edits, save all succesfully. Close DDP4.
Open DDP4, go back to editing and I see nearly half or more of my edited raw pics have reverted to their previous edited state. Example, using brightness adjustment - brighten up may pics, save, close, Open program and the brightness adjustment setting for those pics is back to 0.00.

Redo the brightness for all affected edited pics, close, open. All is fine. Continue editing other pics, save, close (am not converting yet to jpeg, just saving the raw files with the edits). Open the program, again, some pics have lost the edits. Manily to do with the brightness adjustment. However, other times, looking at those same edited raw files, now the brightness for the picture is way to bright, but the setting shows 0.00. For what it's worth, the version I am using is 4.5.0.0. BUT, I had the same issue with the prevouis version.

The only thing that has changed in my PC system, is I used Spyder 4 pro to calibrate my three monitors. I only do the edits on one of the monitors.

Anyone have a clue what's going on? I am using windows 10 pro 64bit.

8 REPLIES 8

diverhank
Authority

I don't use DPP so I am no expert but as far as I know, DPP does not save your changes to the RAW files anywhere.  You need to save your file as one of the available formats then the changes are saved.  This is one of the reasons I use Adobe RAW where it saves the changes in an XML file.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Thanks for that info. But, I've been using DPP3 and 4 for the last 2 years. I've never experienced this issue before. Edit in raw, save in raw, close program, open those same edit raw files and they've always remained "as is" from the last edit. So, I dumbfounded. I just edited 228 RAW files, saved them, but have not closed the program. Doing a batch convert to jpeg - viewing them in Picasa as they get converted. They look fine. But, I have a feeling once I close DDP4 and restart the program, there will again be some issues.

Perhaps now is a good time to fire up lightroom and teach myself how to use it.........

@nelsonsdavis wrote:
Thanks for that info. But, I've been using DPP3 and 4 for the last 2 years. I've never experienced this issue before. Edit in raw, save in raw, close program, open those same edit raw files and they've always remained "as is" from the last edit. So, I dumbfounded. I just edited 228 RAW files, saved them, but have not closed the program. Doing a batch convert to jpeg - viewing them in Picasa as they get converted. They look fine. But, I have a feeling once I close DDP4 and restart the program, there will again be some issues.

Perhaps now is a good time to fire up lightroom and teach myself how to use it.........

I've been using DPP for nine years, and I've never had anything like that happen. I have had DPP4 crash and lose my edits, so I've gotten in the habit of saving each picture after I edit it. The asterisk in the frame tells you when an image has not been saved.

The only thing I can think of is that you may have inadvertently screwed up some default setting that is causing the files to be saved somewhere else. Also, DPP4 is a serious resource hog, so trying to do too much at once may be a problem. I guess I'd start by doing individual saves, and if that doesn't cure the problem, try uninstalling and reinstalling. I believe that when you uninstall, it asks whether you want to flush your settings; doing so may be a good idea.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@nelsonsdavis wrote:

I've never had this issue before, but now it occurs regularly and I'm going bonkers.
Open DDP4, go back to editing and I see nearly half or more of my edited raw pics have reverted to their previous edited state. Example, using brightness adjustment - brighten up may pics, save, close, Open program and the brightness adjustment setting for those pics is back to 0.00.

Redo the brightness for all affected edited pics, close, open. All is fine. Continue editing other pics, save, close (am not converting yet to jpeg, just saving the raw files with the edits). Open the program, again, some pics have lost the edits. Manily to do with the brightness adjustment. However, other times, looking at those same edited raw files, now the brightness for the picture is way to bright, but the setting shows 0.00. For what it's worth, the version I am using is 4.5.0.0. BUT, I had the same issue with the prevouis version.

The only thing that has changed in my PC system, is I used Spyder 4 pro to calibrate my three monitors. I only do the edits on one of the monitors.

The little 'Save' button at the top of the screen, is actually an 'Export to JPG/TIFF/etc' button. To actually Save your edits use the 'File' 'Save' choices in the menu or type '<ctrl> S'.

DPP 4 saves your edits as flags in the CR2 file, though you can always choose to revert back to the original as shot settings at anytime. 

@TTMartin wrote:

@nelsonsdavis wrote:

The little 'Save' button at the top of the screen, is actually an 'Export to JPG/TIFF/etc' button. To actually Save your edits use the 'File' 'Save' choices in the menu or type '<ctrl> S'.

DPP 4 saves your edits as flags in the CR2 file, though you can always choose to revert back to the original as shot settings at anytime. 

Yeah, the ambiguity of the "Save" command is inexcusable. Just one of several glitches introduced in Version 4 that they obviously have no intention of fixing.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Do you get this window when ypu go to exit DPP?

Capture.JPG

Select "Yes" or "Yes to all" and the edits are saved so that when you re-open the file the edits are there.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Do you get this window when ypu go to exit DPP?

Capture.JPG

Select "Yes" or "Yes to all" and the edits are saved so that when you re-open the file the edits are there.

You should get that dialog box whenever you exit "Edit" mode, and you have unsaved edits.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
That is correct.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th