cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting CR2

Taiyosan
Contributor

Just discovered that the Canon RAW files shot with a Canon 20D in 2005, are no longer openable. (is that a word?) I have a few thousand of them and in '05, '06, etc., i opened them, worked on them in PS and saved them. Now i want to work with some of them and they are not viewable, openable, etc. Not with Canon software, Adobe DNG Converter, etc.. I don't know what to do ... do one of you know what to do? Who to ask? Where to search? Have you had this kinda problem?

The larger question, how did 5000 Canon files get corrupted and will that happen again as the years go by (yes, i'm converting them to dng, but not so at that time) ??? i've no idea how to address. Yes, all files are backed up in triplicate but they are copies of the unopenable files - sigh ... all help appreciated.

Thank you,

Taiyo

41 REPLIES 41

@mcc0403 wrote:

I have three disks that came with camera: 1. Camera Instruction Manual  2. Software instruction manual 3. EOS Digital Solutions Disk.   I am assuming the 3rd one is the one that is the software to actually install DPP?  THe problem is when I load it is says "the wrong volume is inserted"  - I am assuming this is because I have Windows 10. I also went to th Canon website and tried to install and it said it couldn't. Not sure what else to do.   If you have any advice please dumb it down for me, I am really new to all this and don't know the lingo. thanks.

What website did you use to download it for Windows 10? Do you have a specific link?

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support

The site is sort of self-explanatory. But they may ask you for the serial number of your camera, so you should have it available.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@mcc0403 wrote:

Help. I have a Canon Rebel SL1. We by accident took all of my daughters birth photos in CR2 format. I have googled and tried converting to JPGs using the software CR2converter.com -- but the pictures became all distorted (and it wouldnt do it in bulk even though it said it would). I have also tried to download DPP as I saw that in this forum but it says it cannot download due to my operating system (Windows 10). What else can I do? I need to convert them as I can't even view them on my computer because of the file type. What is the best solution?

If the SL1 is like the Canon 60D (as I suspect many Canon DSLRs are) you should be able to convert CR2 file to jpegs in camera.  You can probably even do some basic editing as well. The process will be somewhat slow and clunky compared to editing on a PC or laptop but it might at least get you some jpegs until you get your DPP issues sorted out. Just make sure to save your resulting files as a copy so you still have the original RAW files to work with later.

Maybe not the "best" solutiobn but a suitable workaround for now...
Announcements