cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon software no longer works after upgrade from Mohave to Catalina

snappers
Apprentice
My Canon supplied camera software no longer works on my MacBook Pro after upgrade from Mohave OS to Catalina OS v10.15. That's including the EOS Utility, CameraWindow, Style Editor and Digital Photo Professional.
Apple Support says the Mohave was the last Operating System to still be compatible with 32-bit apps. Apple's MAC OS Catalina version is only compatible with 64-bit apps.

I need to find out if my Canon software is 32-bit, and if so, that would explain the problem. If so, will Canon provide downloads of the 64-bit software? If not, what is the solution to open RAW files from my 5DMIII and I guess I'll have to use an alternative software like Adobe Lightroom or Apple Aperature?
10 REPLIES 10

@snappers wrote:
My Canon supplied camera software no longer works on my MacBook Pro after upgrade from Mohave OS to Catalina OS v10.15. That's including the EOS Utility, CameraWindow, Style Editor and Digital Photo Professional.
Apple Support says the Mohave was the last Operating System to still be compatible with 32-bit apps. Apple's MAC OS Catalina version is only compatible with 64-bit apps.

I need to find out if my Canon software is 32-bit, and if so, that would explain the problem. If so, will Canon provide downloads of the 64-bit software? If not, what is the solution to open RAW files from my 5DMIII and I guess I'll have to use an alternative software like Adobe Lightroom or Apple Aperature?

I know I'll get flak for saying this, but I continue to be mystified by the fact that serious photographers continue to use Apple computers for photo editing.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@snappers wrote:

I know I'll get flak for saying this, but I continue to be mystified by the fact that serious photographers continue to use Apple computers for photo editing.

I hear what you are saying.  Camera manufacturer apps do not fair well running on Apple devices.  Meanwhile, if you run Adobe you are fine.  

I always say that it is not in Apple's best interest for apps from Canon, Nikon, Fuji, etc. to run properly on Apple platforms.  Apple would rather see you buy a the new camera in the newest iPhone, instead of the latest from a camera manufacturer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@

Thanks for your reply.  That wasn't my first Canon post ever, so I figured you may have picked up on me maybe not having the most experience.  I have Adobe however and I'll just stick with that, but I just thought I'd ask here about the Canon software that I had installed and was surprised that I now won't be able to try out.  I didn't expect it to be what the top pros use.  

Im new, so I could use some kudos, thanks!  

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@snappers wrote:

I am curious why you say this Bob. Lightroom or Phhotoshop works fine on a Mac computer.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@snappers wrote:

I am curious why you say this Bob. Lightroom or Phhotoshop works fine on a Mac computer.

I say it because it's clear, from the questions and complaints that we get in this forum, that Canon and Adobe software is almost invariably available sooner on a Windows machine than on a Mac. And because on a Windows machine a new version of the Canon software is almost always backwards compatible with previous versions of the operating system, while on a Mac it almost never is. (It may be that Adobe software is somewhat better in that respect, but not everyone uses Adobe software.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yes and agree fully with Bob on all accounts.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"I say it because it's clear, from the questions and complaints that we get in this forum,..."

I was a beta tester (5 years) for a large software maker and I can confidently say 80% of the problems came from Apple (Mac) users.

That fact and the fact all Apple (Mac) computers are more expensive, sometime twice as much as a PC, why does anybody use them. Well most peopel don't.

I personally have no preference because once the software runs, there isn't any real difference that I can tell.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I say it because it's clear, from the questions and complaints that we get in this forum,..."

I was a beta tester (5 years) for a large software maker and I can confidently say 80% of the problems came from Apple (Mac) users.

That fact and the fact all Apple (Mac) computers are more expensive, sometime twice as much as a PC, why does anybody use them. Well most peopel don't.

I personally have no preference because once the software runs, there isn't any real difference that I can tell.

I have been holding back from pointing that out.  But, it is true.  The Apple OS is so user friendly that it does not require much computer know-how to use.  The end result is people who are stumped by a rotary dial telephone.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Kiwi1952
Apprentice

Hi i have Mojave OS and have a SX520 HS canon powershot do you know how i can tranfer my images from the camera to my mac. I am using a usb cable but nothing is showing up. And can't find drivers or software  to install for it all to work, any help would be great, this Kevin

Announcements