cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon camera connect focus stacking issues

MarkP32
Contributor

I have a 70d. I've recently got 8nto macro using the old non-IS 100MM 2 8 lens. Today I found out the delights of using the CCC app to step focus for stacking. It's a bit slow but works fine for the most part except for one annoying thing that I can't figure out. When using the MF function to bracket focus for stacking the app will only focus in one direction. There are three pairs of arrows for stepping the focus forward or backward in differently sized increments. The arrows to the right of the shutter button work fine but the arrows to the left don't do anything.
I was running on the original firmware so thought it might need an upgrade but that made no difference - I'm now running 1.1.3
I haven't tried a different lens so might do that tomorrow but was wondering if anyone had any ideas.
Running Android 11. Have reconnected multiple times, turned the camera on and off, removed and reinserted the battery. Rebooted the phone and reinstalled the CCC software.
Can't think of anything else to try....

14 REPLIES 14

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Is this a stepping macro rail, or are you connecting to the camera?

MarkP32
Contributor
Connecting to the camera via WiFi using camera connect

Is the 70D a typo in your original post?  You mention "focus bracketing", which is feature found in the 90D, not the 70D.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

MarkP32
Contributor
I actually meant I was manually focus bracketing using the stepping function within camera connect

OK, it looks like he is using the Canon Connect App on his phone and manually stepping the focus in order to do focus bracketing manually.

It could be that various lenses/cameras have different abilities to control focus.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@MarkP32 wrote:
I have a 70d. I've recently got 8nto macro using the old non-IS 100MM 2 8 lens. Today I found out the delights of using the CCC app to step focus for stacking. It's a bit slow but works fine for the most part except for one annoying thing that I can't figure out. When using the MF function to bracket focus for stacking the app will only focus in one direction. There are three pairs of arrows for stepping the focus forward or backward in differently sized increments. The arrows to the right of the shutter button work fine but the arrows to the left don't do anything.
I was running on the original firmware so thought it might need an upgrade but that made no difference - I'm now running 1.1.3
I haven't tried a different lens so might do that tomorrow but was wondering if anyone had any ideas.
Running Android 11. Have reconnected multiple times, turned the camera on and off, removed and reinserted the battery. Rebooted the phone and reinstalled the CCC software.
Can't think of anything else to try....

This is very confusing.  The 70D does not have "focus bracketing".  Like most DSLRs of its' time, it has AEB, or Automatic Exposure Bracketing.  

What is the "MF Function to bracket focus"?  You say it only works in one direction.  Are you saying the Camera Connect app has been updated to include a focus bracketing feature?  The 70D should not be compatible with this feature of the 90D.

What pairs of arrows are you talking about?  Can you show us a screenshot?

I wish that you could create a reply that better describes your issue.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

MarkP32
Contributor
OK. So a reply I made earlier seems to not be here. KVBarkley is correct. I am manually stepping the focus using camera connect in order to produce a stack of images for macro photography. When I have everything connected I am able to step the focus in one direction (using the arrows pointing to the right) but I cannot move the focus back or in the other direction using the arrows pointing to the left.... I would have assumed that if the lens/camera was not compatible then I wouldn't be able to adjust focus in either direction.

@MarkP32 wrote:
OK. So a reply I made earlier seems to not be here. KVBarkley is correct. I am manually stepping the focus using camera connect in order to produce a stack of images for macro photography. When I have everything connected I am able to step the focus in one direction (using the arrows pointing to the right) but I cannot move the focus back or in the other direction using the arrows pointing to the left.... I would have assumed that if the lens/camera was not compatible then I wouldn't be able to adjust focus in either direction.

To be clear in my mind - are you saying that if you focus close and select the right arrow the lens will step towards infinity, but if you focus far and select the left arrow the lens won't step towards the camera?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

MarkP32
Contributor
Bingo... Exactly that... The left arrows do nothing regardless of where the focus is set. The right arrows will step the focus the full length of the lens motion. Once the lens has gone past where I want it to go in have to manually turn the focus ring on the lens back the other direction. The lens works fine in normal use ie when using AF not via the connect app.
Announcements