cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon camera and macOS Big Sur

Yvente
Contributor

I can not import anymore my photos (tooken with my Canon Rebel T7i) to my Mac Book Pro since the last version of macOS have been installed (macOS Big Sur 11.1).

I have asked Apple about this problem on their Apple community forum, link here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252247293

I have also get a call from one of their senoir technicain and the problem might be from Canon where an update must be done to every Canon cameras in order to be compatible with macOS Big Sur.

Any idea to how to fix thos problem ? Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yessssssss problem solved using EOS Utility 3

The appropriate link to instal EOS Utility 3 for Rebel T7i was here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/eos-utility

than here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca...

Software to instal:

EOS Utility 3.13.10 for macOS

Some print screen to help

Capture d’écran, le 2021-01-05 à 10.29.21.png

Capture d’écran, le 2021-01-05 à 10.25.05.png

Capture d’écran, le 2021-01-05 à 10.25.26.png

Capture d’écran, le 2021-01-05 à 10.25.43.png

Capture d’écran, le 2021-01-05 à 09.59.17.png

Capture d’écran, le 2021-01-05 à 10.40.06.png

Capture d’écran, le 2021-01-05 à 10.00.24.png

Capture d’écran, le 2021-01-05 à 10.32.56.png

In french it look like (when the camera is connected)

Capture d’écran, le 2021-01-05 à 10.32.16.png

Thank you guys for your precious help !!!!!!!!

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

As a workaround, does your MacBook Pro have an SD card slot?  If so, insert the SD card which should mount like an eternal hard drive.  You can then navigate to the folder containing your images.  Select all files there, and drag into the Photos application.

While I use a 5D IV, I've had no problems connecting the camera to the computer or mounting its SD or Compact Flash card with Big Sur (macOS 11.x).  I use Adobe Lightroom, but the SD card solution would allow me to import into Photos.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thank you for your quick reply.

No card slot available on my Mac Book Pro (2017)...

I am also unable to instal EOS Utility with macOS Big Sur ...

Different cables were alo tested between camera and laptop and they are not the issue. I still have an error # 9934 as mentionned in the link above of my problem to Apple.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

[Edited] I was typing while other posts were being made.

Seems like some sort of problem with your computer.

I have no problem importing via Image Capture or EOS Utility to my MacBook Air running Big Sur 11.1.

I don't use Photos, but I did verify that when I open Photos my camera is recgnized as a Device. My camera is a 1D X Mark III. I also tried with my wife's T6s and had the same results.

There are no actual camera updates related to macOS. EOS Utility works on my computer, but it was previously installed under Catalina. There may be a problem with the installer running under Big Sur if you are not able to install it.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Found this:

Image Capture error code 9934 - Apple Community

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank you Jrhoffman75

I did a real complete revision of my Mac Book on the phone with a senior technician from Apple. Almost one hour ...

I aslo previously did a search about problem #9934 but non of them work.

I also did a search to upgrade my Rebel T7i but even if many cameras offert an update (like the Rebel T7 or T6i) my T7i is not supported ...

Link here:

https://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/browse/a_status/published/productRecordID/RN_PRODUCT_1930/curre...

Capture d’écran, le 2021-01-05 à 09.24.26.png

You can also follow my tread on the Apple forum:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252247293

Canon or Apple, one of them cause the problem ...

It was not a problem when my Mac Book was running macOS Catalina ...

Hi Yvente.

I get the same display when I search for my 1D X and Big Sur. It doesn't mean the camera isn't supported, it means that Canon hasn't released specific software updates for Big Sur (or at least hasn't documented that it is compatible)

As a test I just downloaded the Picture Style Editor installer and EOS Utility 3.13.10 installer from the Catalina download page.

Since I previously had PSE 1.24 the new 1.25 installed fine.

When I ran the EOSU installer it executed fine but reported already installed at the final page since I previously had it installed.

Check your permissions page:

Security & Privacy 2021-01-05 09-50-22.jpg

Big Sur is very touchy with permissions.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

That is probably my problem: 

at least hasn't documented that it is compatible

I am aslo unable to instal EOS Utility on macOS Big Sur Robot Sad

I have sent a message to Canon for technical assistance ... I will see their response.

Your post have been edited. Let me try ....

Announcements