cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Utility fails to install - macOS Catalina

webrender
Apprentice

Hello, my Canon 80D was connecting to my computer nicely until I recently updated to macOS 10.15 Catalina beta. The camera no longer connects properly to my computer, and I am unable to install the EOS Utilities.  The EOS Utility installer starts, asks me for my password, but then freezes at "Preparing to install". 

The advice provided in the High Sierra thread (https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Canon-EOS-utility-fails-to-install-on-Mac-OS-High-Sierra...) has no effect.

Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 8.35.25 AM.png

56 REPLIES 56

install mojave on a separate drive, install the newest EOS Utility and then drag and drop or use a usb thumb drive to copy over just the application to the Catalina partition and see if that works.

Hazardous
Contributor

How about now that the OS is no longer in Beta that Canon updates the software.

At least provide some idea of a timeline on when this will occur instead of leaving everyone in the dark,

@Hazardous wrote:

How about now that the OS is no longer in Beta that Canon updates the software.

At least provide some idea of a timeline on when this will occur instead of leaving everyone in the dark,

How about waiting for Apple fix all of the bugs?  I have two updates, which fixed the worst bugs.  But more still remain.  

Personally, I think Apple deliberately [breaks] camera software.  Apple would rather see you upgrade to a new camera by buying the latest iPhone, instead of the latest Canon, Nikon, or Sony.  Canon is the top seller of cameras in the world.  Other manufacturers suffer the same issues with Apple.  I would rather run MS Windows.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Oh come on now. Microsoft is no better at bug fixes than Apple. I'm not here to advocate of one over the other as I have used both of them for years and they both have their drawbacks. Point being I'd just like some software I can use with my Camera.

@Hazardous wrote:
Oh come on now. Microsoft is no better at bug fixes than Apple. I'm not here to advocate of one over the other as I have used both of them for years and they both have their drawbacks. Point being I'd just like some software I can use with my Camera.

I am not advocating MS Windows.  I am just simply stating the facts.  I suggest that you browse through this Software forum and take note of how many threads there are complaining about compatibility with Apple.  Notice how many times those Apple threads have been read, too.

When you are done with that.  I suggest that you find similar forums for Nikon, Sony, Fuji, anyone.  You will see the same thing.  People having problems with Apple Opeerating systems seem to FAR outnumber the number of people having problems with Windows by a very wide margin.

As for you immediate problem, the best that you can do is "what for it" to come from Apple.  If you look at the download page of the Canon Software, it lists the OS versions that the apps are certified to use.  Of course, this latest release is not listed.  

Of course, every other manufacturer has the same problems keeping up with Apple OS changes, too.  Like I said, it is not in Apple's best interests for camera apps from rival manufacturer's to run properly. Microsoft is not in the camera business, and their updates do not break camera software, either.  

Good Luck.

I second this, Catalina is no longer in Beta, Apple gave more than 2 year notice on 32 bit apps.  The worst part is this is supposed to be a driverless printer for basic function and that is not even working.  I don't know who is really responsible here, but it is disappointing.  It is nearly time to buy new toner for my imageclass laser and I have to say at this point, it my just be time for a new printer, it really costs about the same.  

I don't trust Apple.  They fail badly in the areas of taking responsibility and accountability: I'm still hearing the fairy tales that Apple can't be infected with viruses or malware.

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.

snappers
Apprentice
I just upgraded to the final release of Catalina (not trial or beta) from Mohave OS in my MacBook Pro laptop (mid-2013), and now my Canon camera software doesn't work anymore. It won't even open. The message seems to imply that its 32-bit and if so, Catalina OS only works with 64-bit apps. None of the Canon camera software that came with my Canon 5DMIII will even open. They are Digital Photo Professional , EOS Utility, ImageBrowserEX and Picture Style Editor, etc.
Does Canon have upgraded software that we can download? If so, where and is it free? Thanks!

@snappers wrote:
I just upgraded to the final release of Catalina (not trial or beta) from Mohave OS in my MacBook Pro laptop (mid-2013), and now my Canon camera software doesn't work anymore. It won't even open. The message seems to imply that its 32-bit and if so, Catalina OS only works with 64-bit apps. None of the Canon camera software that came with my Canon 5DMIII will even open. They are Digital Photo Professional , EOS Utility, ImageBrowserEX and Picture Style Editor, etc.
Does Canon have upgraded software that we can download? If so, where and is it free? Thanks!

Please review the messages in this announcement from Apple.  

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436 

Supposedly, you should see specific error messages when you try to run a 32-bit app, with the keyword being "should".  It also says that Apple is working with developers to help them update their 32-bit applications to 64-bit applications.

If you have ever done any software development on the Apple platform, then you would understand just how much control  Apple has over the software that runs on their OS.  Apple micro manages software development.  Not only do you have to buy a license fee to be able to develop software for the Apple platforms, you must also register your applications and pay another fee for distribution through the Apple Store.

Apple can stop any licensed or unlicensed application from running on their OS that they want.  They can disable it when you log onto your MacOS is iOS device.  By logging on to your device after an OS update, you are agreeing to letting Apple continue to control the applications that can run on your device.  You agreed to this when you first started your new device.

According to the Apple announcement, 32-bit applications will not run until the software developer works with Apple to upgrade their applications.  If Canon's applications are not working because they are 32-bit applications, then I would assume that Canon is either working with Apple now, or is standing in line holding a number.  I would suspect the latter.

FULL DISCLOSURE:  I freely admit that I do not like Apple.  IBM, aka "Big Blue", was sued in the late 1960s and lost for using the same type of business practices.  The only difference is IBM was charging end users, while Apple is charging developers.

smartins68
Apprentice

I have the same problem! Is there a solution? I see lots of messages trying to blame Apple, but zero messages about the solution. Apple is a platform where each software company can opt-in or opt-out to run there. If Canon did not do their homework to get ready for the platform evolution, just assume it and say you cannot support it. Stop pushing your responsibility to others.

It is not my obligation as a customer to see a VIP contributor ranting on users. All the users want is to get the software they paid for working. 

Announcements