cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Utility fails to install - macOS Catalina

webrender
Apprentice

Hello, my Canon 80D was connecting to my computer nicely until I recently updated to macOS 10.15 Catalina beta. The camera no longer connects properly to my computer, and I am unable to install the EOS Utilities.  The EOS Utility installer starts, asks me for my password, but then freezes at "Preparing to install". 

The advice provided in the High Sierra thread (https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Canon-EOS-utility-fails-to-install-on-Mac-OS-High-Sierra...) has no effect.

Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 8.35.25 AM.png

56 REPLIES 56

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

AFAIK, the canon developers do not look here. Since Catalina is still Beta, I doubt that you will get much help here.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Need EOS?  Downngrade to Mojave 10.14.  EOS is cerified to work with this OS accordng to Canon. 

No guarantees trying to install software on a unsupportd beta OS.  I'm sure something is in the works, but its not scheduld to be released until Fall.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Why are you complaining about an application having issues running on a beta copy of the Operating System?  That sort of behavior is what you signed up for when you downloaded and installed it.  You should tell Apple about the issues, not Canon.  That is how beta testing works.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'm not complaining, I'm creating a space for others who are using the beta to discuss possible solutions as they arise. I suspect the issue is with Canon's outdated software apis, not bugs in Apple's beta.

No need to fill this space with negative energy, Waddizzle. 🙅‍♂️

@webrender wrote:
I'm not complaining, I'm creating a space for others who are using the beta to discuss possible solutions as they arise. I suspect the issue is with Canon's outdated software apis, not bugs in Apple's beta.

If you think the truth is negative, then you have my condolences.  

Is this the first time that you have ever installed a beta copy of an OS?  I hope you did not install the beta OS on your main computer.  A beta OS should only be installed on a “clean” machine with a freshly wiped hard drive.  Typically, the only way to remove a beta OS is to completely wipe the hard drive by reformatting it.  This is why you do not want to use your main computer. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@webrender wrote:

If you think the truth is negative, then you have my condolences.  

Is this the first time that you have ever installed a beta copy of an OS? I hope you did not install the beta OS on your main computer.  A beta OS should only be installed on a “clean” machine with a freshly wiped hard drive.  Typically, the only way to remove a beta OS is to completely wipe the hard drive by reformatting it.  This is why you do not want to use your main computer. 

I think it's a 32/64Bit problem of the installer. Same thing with other installer, which has to connect to the system library... all Adobe Installer show the same alert message like the canon installer (for 10.14). So we have to be patient 😉

You're 100% correct. The 32 bit installer won't fly anymore. Have you tried not using the installer and making a copy of the EOS Utility instead?

markusde
Apprentice
I've the same issue... can not start the driver installer for iRc3530i ... I think it's a 32/64Bit problem of the installer. Same thing with other installer, which has to connect to the system library... all Adobe Installer show the same alert message like the canon installer (for 10.14). So we have to be patient 😉

TheDutches
Contributor
How do I do that?
Announcements